Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC Password (pre-All Stars) question  (Read 1273 times)

That Don Guy

ABC Password (pre-All Stars) question
« on: April 27, 2017, 02:51:26 PM »
I realize that most of us are a bit young to remember the original ABC Password run (the one between the CBS version and Password All-Stars).

However, there is one thing I have always wondered: how did the annual tournaments work?

I know there was a "quarterly tournament" every 3 months (in fact, I saw one once), where either the top 4 players from the previous three months or all of the undefeated 5-game winners played against each other (two-out-of-three single elimination, IIRC - this was before two-out-of-three became how the game was played normally).  I also know the four winners met in an "annual tournament," but what I don't know is, (a) what time of year that was (I am guessing not in the summer, as otherwise I probably would have seen one), and (b) how it worked.  I do remember that the winner got $5000 and got to play the previous year's "grand champion" for $10,000; the Game Show Wiki says that this was best-of-7, and I read somewhere that the first Annual Champion won the following two years' $10,000 matches as well.