Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sale of the Century observation.  (Read 7567 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: Sale of the Century observation.
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2017, 02:19:45 AM »
Who were the contestants, how much did the champion have socked away?

(I don't have an episode guide, I'm just curious for its own sake.)

Mick Carroll was entering night three of his title reign, and he was I think $45 short of the second level prize (luxury fishing trip to BC).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Marc412

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2017, 04:37:30 AM »
Who were the contestants, how much did the champion have socked away?

(I don't have an episode guide, I'm just curious for its own sake.)
Gordon, Shelli and champion Mick, who had $140. 

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2017, 01:30:25 PM »
On the episode that aired tonight, someone found the $5 in the third Fame Game, so there you go. :)

Yep... I saw that and thought, "Well, don't I look foolish now."

I do wonder whether they had specific tendencies for where they added the later money cards. I assume it was simply a matter of "wherever the producer decides to place the new money card right before the act containing that Fame Game," but I wonder whether they made an effort to replace certain prizes if they could (for example, if I'm the producer, I'm placing the $25 money card where the $600 cash prize is sitting because $600 hurts my prize budget more than the cutlery set does).

CoreyArcher

• Pick a corner
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2017, 04:46:33 PM »
A tangential thought ... the $5 money card always annoyed me. You're playing a special element of the game with a more difficult question, so don't make it possible to get just the same five bucks you get for a regular correct answer. There should be a premium. Make it at least $6 and I don't have a problem with it.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2017, 04:56:59 PM »
A tangential thought ... the $5 money card always annoyed me. You're playing a special element of the game with a more difficult question, so don't make it possible to get just the same five bucks you get for a regular correct answer. There should be a premium. Make it at least $6 and I don't have a problem with it.
My choice would be to make it $5 or Mystery Money, but that's just me.
Travis L. Eberle

CoreyArcher

• Pick a corner
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2017, 09:51:41 PM »
My choice would be to make it $5 or Mystery Money, but that's just me.

Yes. My beef is that almost anything is more interesting than the $5 money card ... even the short-lived "Trip or pick again."

BrandonFG

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2017, 10:13:13 PM »
I'm intrigued by the $5 or Mystery Money idea, as it sets up an interesting conundrum of sorts. If I'm only down by one or two questions, then sure, take the $5 and get myself closer, esp. if the Speed Round is coming up. If I'm playing for the Lot or a big cash jackpot, then yes, take the money card and pad my lead/reduce my deficit.

If it's a runaway, then yeah, I prolly take the Mystery Money, knowing I can go home with a few hundred bucks in my pocket, win or lose. Honestly, the sure thing with the Mystery Money would make me lean towards the latter, regardless of my score.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Nick

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2017, 08:24:28 PM »
I do wonder whether they had specific tendencies for where they added the later money cards. I assume it was simply a matter of "wherever the producer decides to place the new money card right before the act containing that Fame Game," but I wonder whether they made an effort to replace certain prizes if they could (for example, if I'm the producer, I'm placing the $25 money card where the $600 cash prize is sitting because $600 hurts my prize budget more than the cutlery set does).

Sounds legit.  I'm wishing I'd paid more attention along my way through the syndicated version, but it didn't seem to be too often somebody would be hitting cash prizes by the final Fame Game.
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

PYLdude

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2017, 12:30:37 AM »
Okay, during tonight's episode, which is the Monday following Lot Win #3 I noticed they're offering the same fishing trip that Skip Jordan passed on on his way to falling short of the car. (At least I think he had a shot at it. I know it's been offered once before.)

I'm curious, since I'm not as familiar with certain things/procedures, as to how often they'd put a prize back up for offer if someone didn't get it the first time they put it on display.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 05:21:26 AM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2017, 06:24:51 PM »
Okay, during tonight's episode, which is the Monday following Lot Win #3 I noticed they're offering the same fishing trip that Skip Jordan passed on on his way to falling short of the car. (At least I think he had a shot at it. I know it's been offered once before.)

I'm curious, since I'm not as familiar with certain things/procedures, as to how often they'd put a prize back up for offer if someone didn't get it the first time they put it on display.
My understanding is that since they've bought the air fare, hotel reservations and the boat charter, they may as well put it up for offer again after a month. Do you recall how much time elapsed between the times it was on offer? It also explains the soup tureen and the garage sale.

Note that the Fame Game seems to give away the same five or six prizes repeatedly: that would be because they bought Mixmasters, gold dumbbells and the Joy Games carpeting in bulk.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2017, 10:46:31 PM »

My understanding is that since they've bought the air fare, hotel reservations and the boat charter, they may as well put it up for offer again after a month. Do you recall how much time elapsed between the times it was on offer?

If I'm not mistaken, it's been three weeks since the first time it was offered.