Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR doing "to the winner of this one-bid" plugs again?  (Read 9320 times)

SuperSweeper

Re: TPIR doing "to the winner of this one-bid" plugs again?
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2017, 07:36:31 PM »
But I think this comment and the previous one quoted above touch upon what I think is the simpler reason. Steve would likely know specifically where they ran out, but Roger had planned game line-ups & shows through a certain point before he was let go (week 7 or 8?), getting every game scheduled at least once. It was after this point that some stuff was never played again (Credit Card, Make Your Mark), or dropped off for the rest of the season (Take Two was only played twice, Triple Play & Step Up only got one playing that year, 3 Strikes had three appearances with different rules, etc.). I think the sponsorships were booked by the "old crew" through a certain point, then not picked up again when Syd & Mike took over.

-Jason

Some quick research shows that the last GP plug was on December 12th, which was week 12 of Season 37. The episode is on YouTube (I couldn't get the link to work, for some reason).

This indicates that only 8 plugs were done through those first 12 weeks. That was already a pretty low rate; in past years, it seemed like the average was at least one per show.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2017, 11:03:43 PM »
In the 70s or 80s, being seen (and positively so) on The Price is Right is probably the best way to get your product or item seen by a whole lot of people all in one shot. In 2017, that's no longer the case. In 2000, that's no longer the case. If TPIR needs the products more than the products need TPIR then there's no reason to pay for appearances when they may show up anyway.

I have no idea of Little Debbie gives a flat damn whether Drew opens and throws back a Honey Bun on the show, or if they care positively or negatively when Drew riffs about the snackiness of the snack cakes. But they don't need the viral hits anymore.
Travis L. Eberle

chrisholland03

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 08:53:37 AM »
I can't believe how expensive Little Debbie cakes are now.  Even adjusted for inflation.  Must put a lot more love in them than they used to.

JakeT

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2017, 09:33:19 AM »
I can't believe how expensive Little Debbie cakes are now.  Even adjusted for inflation.  Must put a lot more love in them than they used to.

So so true...when I was growing up, Little Debbie cakes were for us kids whose moms were too cheap to buy Hostess or Dolly Madison treats...now they are at the same price point...or worse!

Maybe having to pay for Will Farrell as the new face for Little Debbie has driven the price up...:)

JakeT

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2017, 02:34:19 PM »
It must be a regional thing.  I picked up a box of Little Debbie snacks for work this weekend, and it was only $1.79, while Hostess products tend to start at $3...

BrandonFG

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2017, 04:46:35 PM »
It's been a while since I've bought any, but from what I remember, a box of <10 Little Debbie snacks fall in the $2-3 range here. One thing I noticed, however, is that the Oatmeal Creme Pies have gotten smaller.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SuperSweeper

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2017, 06:02:59 PM »
From what I've seen, Little Debbie's haven't gone up too much. They were 99 cents in the early '90s and $1.19-$1.39 in the early to mid part of the last decade. $1.79 now would be right on target.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2017, 09:32:21 PM »
Is it possible that it was a Roger thing that dropped off a bit after he was sacked and perhaps the show had to rebuild connections?

That implies the sponsors cared who was producing the show.
I don't think they cared, but rather contact with certain sponsors might've stopped while changes were being made.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2017, 09:36:17 PM »
Are they still having cameo appearances by animals that are up for adoption in the LA area?
Travis L. Eberle

WilliamPorygon

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2017, 10:04:18 PM »
Are they still having cameo appearances by animals that are up for adoption in the LA area?

They've started doing a "pet adoption week" once every season or two where they do that each day for the week, but outside of those, no.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2017, 10:30:20 PM »
It must be a regional thing.  I picked up a box of Little Debbie snacks for work this weekend, and it was only $1.79, while Hostess products tend to start at $3...

Same here. Usually $1.79-$1.99 will get you a Little Debbie item, while everything else is at least a dollar more (Hostess, its former corporate cousin Drake's, and Tastykake).

Don't see too much in the single serve packs anymore. Gotta go to convenience stores for those.

(Tastykake Buttercream Iced Cupcakes with the cream filling are the best around)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

JakeT

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2017, 11:27:49 PM »
From what I've seen, Little Debbie's haven't gone up too much. They were 99 cents in the early '90s and $1.19-$1.39 in the early to mid part of the last decade. $1.79 now would be right on target.

The (cherry) cheese danish are $2.99 - $3.19 for a box of eight in Memphis...that is, when you can find them.

JakeT

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2017, 12:15:24 AM »
I've never heard of Little Debbie making cherry cheese Danish. Must be a regional thing.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2017, 12:44:39 AM »
In the 70s or 80s, being seen (and positively so) on The Price is Right is probably the best way to get your product or item seen by a whole lot of people all in one shot. In 2017, that's no longer the case. In 2000, that's no longer the case. If TPIR needs the products more than the products need TPIR then there's no reason to pay for appearances when they may show up anyway.

This is the best argument I've heard in this thread.

Also, Roger was let go in the summer of 2008.  This was right about the time the economy went to all hell, right?  I wouldn't be surprised if sponsors just didn't have the cash to renew their sponsorships around this time.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2017, 06:41:54 AM »

This is the best argument I've heard in this thread.

Also, Roger was let go in the summer of 2008.  This was right about the time the economy went to all hell, right?  I wouldn't be surprised if sponsors just didn't have the cash to renew their sponsorships around this time.

I wonder why "Save to Win" on the lowly CW gets more paid small-item plugs than TPIR?  A condition to get product into Family Dollar?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.