Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR doing "to the winner of this one-bid" plugs again?  (Read 9318 times)

Loogaroo

TPIR doing "to the winner of this one-bid" plugs again?
« on: February 17, 2017, 01:23:30 PM »
Watching The Price Is Right for the first time in about a month this morning, and on the third one-bid of the show George announced that the winner of the prize would get a bonus prize from Eggland's Best.

Does anyone who follows the show more closely than I do know when they started doing this? Seems like kind of a weird thing to bring out of the mothballs.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

SuperSweeper

Re: TPIR doing "to the winner of this one-bid" plugs again?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 01:34:45 PM »
They've been doing it for about a year or so. Eggland's and Marie Callender's have been the two sponsors. I believe that the winning contestants get $50 in cash.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 03:10:19 PM »
With $40 of egg whites that'd be a wash, but $50 of frozen meals or cash? Yes please. What's interesting to me is that I thought the show was having trouble getting companies to sign up and pay for promotion.
Travis L. Eberle

SuperSweeper

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 10:06:45 PM »
With $40 of egg whites that'd be a wash, but $50 of frozen meals or cash? Yes please. What's interesting to me is that I thought the show was having trouble getting companies to sign up and pay for promotion.

There appears to be a small uptick in the number of sponsors, particularly in the sponsored grocery products. It's nowhere near the levels of even ten years ago, but it's an encouraging sign.

nowhammies10

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 08:56:06 AM »
IIRC, the "to the winner of this one-bid" plugs stopped because Drew was making fun of how the product and the one-bid item were (usually) not connected, e.g. after the description, Drew would say something to the effect of "Man, nothing goes better with an armoire than some Aspercreme(!)".

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 12:36:07 PM »
With $40 of egg whites that'd be a wash
lol
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Kevin Prather

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 03:47:33 PM »
IIRC, the "to the winner of this one-bid" plugs stopped because Drew was making fun of how the product and the one-bid item were (usually) not connected, e.g. after the description, Drew would say something to the effect of "Man, nothing goes better with an armoire than some Aspercreme(!)".

Citation please?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 06:43:31 PM »

Citation please?

He was told that information.

/hey, if it's good for the Cheeto in Chief
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SuperSweeper

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 06:50:31 PM »
The "supply of" plugs went away early in Season 37, which coincided with a drop-off in overall sponsorship of the show. I don't know if the two were related.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 07:23:07 PM »
Right, but I also remember that Drew was mauling and riffing upon the products. Whether the drop-off was causational or coincidental is the question.
Travis L. Eberle

Fedya

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 08:09:59 PM »
I remember Drew making fun of some of the unsponsored products, though I'm not a regular enough viewer of the show to see whether he was making fun of sponsored products, too. 
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

SuperSweeper

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 10:00:25 PM »
Right, but I also remember that Drew was mauling and riffing upon the products. Whether the drop-off was causational or coincidental is the question.

Drew didn't start smashing the products until the middle of the season. I think that they had dropped the IUFB bonus by late November or so, so I don't think that the two were related.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 12:21:25 AM »
Is it possible that it was a Roger thing that dropped off a bit after he was sacked and perhaps the show had to rebuild connections?
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

nowhammies10

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 11:01:56 AM »

Citation please?

Going off what I remember hearing and seeing around that time.  As Travis said, I am not sure (nearly a decade later) whether this was coincidence or specifically because Drew would riff on the One-Bid bonuses and smash up grocery products during pricing games.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 05:41:37 PM »
Is it possible that it was a Roger thing that dropped off a bit after he was sacked and perhaps the show had to rebuild connections?

That implies the sponsors cared who was producing the show.

Drew didn't start smashing the products until the middle of the season. I think that they had dropped the IUFB bonus by late November or so, so I don't think that the two were related.

But I think this comment and the previous one quoted above touch upon what I think is the simpler reason. Steve would likely know specifically where they ran out, but Roger had planned game line-ups & shows through a certain point before he was let go (week 7 or 8?), getting every game scheduled at least once. It was after this point that some stuff was never played again (Credit Card, Make Your Mark), or dropped off for the rest of the season (Take Two was only played twice, Triple Play & Step Up only got one playing that year, 3 Strikes had three appearances with different rules, etc.). I think the sponsorships were booked by the "old crew" through a certain point, then not picked up again when Syd & Mike took over.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck