Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN originals--5 shows/week vs. 2 shows one night a week  (Read 2621 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
GSN originals--5 shows/week vs. 2 shows one night a week
« on: February 17, 2017, 12:30:10 PM »
I'm curious about why the overwhelming majority of GSN originals air twice a night once a week instead of stripping it five nights a week.  I understand trying to make these shows appointment TV shows.  However, the only shows worthy of that category in recent years have been The Chase, Idiotest, and to a much lesser extent, Divided.  (Divided's grown on me quite a bit the last few weeks.)  The only shows that I recall from the last five years which ran five shows per week were Pyramid and Lie Detectors, for all of the week or so it aired.  (Mind of a Man too?)

I'm going to guess it's financial--running 40 eps. during prime time at 2 shows every Thursday night for 20 weeks generates more revenue than blasting through a less-expensive weekday slot for just eight weeks, even if you rerun the show once or twice after the original eight weeks.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: GSN originals--5 shows/week vs. 2 shows one night a week
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 01:28:24 PM »
I suppose you can also sustain interest longer with new episodes--five months instead of two.
Travis L. Eberle