Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: BUZZR "Prime Time Party" beg. February 6th  (Read 134045 times)

Jimmy Owen

Re: BUZZR "Prime Time Party" beg. February 6th
« Reply #240 on: May 17, 2019, 06:53:37 PM »
Just a guess, but maybe the vintage makes them easier to convert?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #241 on: May 17, 2019, 07:34:48 PM »
It has come to my attention that apparently, starting this week, Supermarket Sweep has gone back to airing two new-to-Buzzr episodes a night with the episode numbers now running consecutive from 8:30-9:30. Thanks to the minor acceleration in episodes, they've finally exited months of Manager's Special, to usher in the Super Supermarket Sweep era and the $200 Super Sandwich.

I've meant to ask this, but how is it that BUZZR is able to crank out the Supermarket Sweep reruns like there's no tomorrow yet they're a tad slower in converting their Goodson inventory?

We don't know Buzzr's numbers, do we? What if this is one of the most popular shows on the schedule? Perhaps that gets it bumped up to the top the priority list on conversions. It really is one of those low key favorites a lot people remember fondly.

Also, a lot of their ad time is taken up by Shriners and St. Jude. Sure Buzzr is enjoying the money.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #242 on: May 17, 2019, 08:48:49 PM »
I've meant to ask this, but how is it that BUZZR is able to crank out the Supermarket Sweep reruns like there's no tomorrow yet they're a tad slower in converting their Goodson inventory?

The common-sense side of me wants to say that it's due to volume. I don't know for sure, but "Sweep", being a cable show, probably didn't have as many episodes per season than the average network/syndie show.

Meanwhile, the tech-nerd side of me wants to guess tape formats. "Sweep" may have been recorded on, say, Betacam (SP), as opposed to the 1" reels the networks may have been using at the time. (The networks were also working with various early digital formats, most of which really didn't stand the test of time compared to DigiBeta) With how common (and relatively recent) Beta SP was, it'd probably be easier for shows in that format to be converted to digital than anything from 1" type C, 2" quad, etc.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #243 on: May 18, 2019, 04:08:20 PM »

I don't know for certain, but I really do think it's attributable to Shriners Hospitals. For many, many months (over a year?), every episode of Buzzr's Supermarket Sweep has treated us to a Shriners logo placed prominently on the screen while David welcomes us to the show. If there's a deal to link the two entities, then that's where Buzzr is going to focus its conversion efforts.

/ Right now, Buzzr is running a lot of ads from charities requesting donations. Save the Children seems to be the only one not asking for $19 per month.
// Why did Supermarket Sweep make David sell the Super Sandwich so hard? Six episodes in, and I'm already sick of it.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #244 on: May 18, 2019, 04:19:32 PM »
Aren't those ads premptible per inquiry?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

chargeradiocom

« Reply #245 on: May 19, 2019, 03:51:04 PM »
I’d imagine it’s a combination of the things mentioned—ratings/viewership, compatibility of the tapes, number of episodes, possibly the Shriner’s deal.

We don't know Buzzr's numbers, do we? What if this is one of the most popular shows on the schedule? Perhaps that gets it bumped up to the top the priority list on conversions. It really is one of those low key favorites a lot people remember fondly.
It would be very interesting to see their ratings numbers. I doubt they subscribe to Nielsen (a lot of small networks don’t, as it’s pretty expensive). But they probably have some kind of viewership data—likely from Comscore or a smaller outfit like that.

I’ve found it odd that Sweep gets an hour in prime time nearly every night while some traditionally far bigger-name shows don’t. But you very well may be right—it may be a low key favorite that, after being off TV for years, has found a loyal viewership base.

I don't know for certain, but I really do think it's attributable to Shriners Hospitals. For many, many months (over a year?), every episode of Buzzr's Supermarket Sweep has treated us to a Shriners logo placed prominently on the screen while David welcomes us to the show. If there's a deal to link the two entities, then that's where Buzzr is going to focus its conversion efforts.
I’m a little hesitant to jump on this theory, because I’m pretty sure the charity spots are PPI, plus I’d think having a for-profit sponsor like Consumer Cellular (which has been the primary sponsor of Card Sharks for a while) would be quite a bit more valuable.

But that’s speculation on my part. I don’t know the terms of the Shriner’s deal, so you may be right. And if this the reason for Sweep’s push, it does give BUZZR some good philanthropic cred.

While we’re doing BUZZR Q&A... Has it been said what the status of Let’s Make a Deal is? I know it was an anchor show for BUZZR when they first launched. But I don’t think they’ve run it at all since they started streaming, which seems odd since that brought in a completely new audience.

Has some issue popped up with CBS? (It would seem strange, after apparently having no problem with BUZZR & GSN both running classic LMAD for the first 10 years of Brady’s run, for CBS to suddenly have an issue with it; but who knows with these people?) Or has some hangup developed with Monty’s estate? Or is it just getting a rather lengthy rest in the vault?

jimlangefan

« Reply #246 on: May 26, 2019, 02:21:01 AM »
To my knowledge,  Monty's estate wouldn't have anything to do with it.  Fremantle owns LMAD.
TV's Big Dealer

snowpeck

« Reply #247 on: June 17, 2019, 09:31:17 PM »
According to the newest week of listings, on July 1st, Buzzr begins airing daytime episodes of Sale of the Century beginning somewhere in summer 1988 (show #1410).

Dawson Feud also moves on to 1982 episodes.

http://buzzrtv.com/schedule/schedule_by_date/2019-7-1/America/New_York
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #248 on: June 17, 2019, 10:00:42 PM »
Replying to myself:

For the first time since last summer, new-to-Buzzr episodes of Press Your Luck pick up on April 22.

And after 30 episodes, they jumped backward in time again. That was short.

I don't know for certain, but I really do think it's attributable to Shriners Hospitals. For many, many months (over a year?), every episode of Buzzr's Supermarket Sweep has treated us to a Shriners logo placed prominently on the screen while David welcomes us to the show.

I couldn't find it at the time, but right now, Buzzr is running Supermarket Sweep promos (they start with the words "Stop and shop" on the screen) that end with a plug for Shriners Hospitals over the Buzzr bubble background. I submit this as further evidence that the two entities are meant to be linked.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #249 on: June 18, 2019, 11:18:00 AM »
According to the newest week of listings, on July 1st, Buzzr begins airing daytime episodes of Sale of the Century beginning somewhere in summer 1988 (show #1410).

Should be the 7/13/88 ep, if the $otC wiki is right.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Scrabbleship

« Reply #250 on: June 18, 2019, 01:25:32 PM »

Should be the 7/13/88 ep, if the $otC wiki is right.

Might this be an episode never rerun since it's original airing? Or would this be around what USA reran in 1992-93 before going to the syndie version?

SRIV94

« Reply #251 on: June 18, 2019, 02:48:22 PM »
I believe so.  I don’t think USA’s episodes picked up until late August.
Doug
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #252 on: June 18, 2019, 03:17:14 PM »
Re $ale: this should be somewhere between all of the special weeks and that car loss.

SRIV94

« Reply #253 on: June 18, 2019, 06:58:06 PM »
Re $ale: this should be somewhere between all of the special weeks and that car loss.

Which car loss are we talking?  Darrell's on the third-to-last show?  :)
Doug

Bryce L.

« Reply #254 on: June 18, 2019, 08:11:12 PM »

Which car loss are we talking?  Darrell's on the third-to-last show?  :)
Probably Robin McKirahan, which I believe was August 1988.