Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: BUZZR "Prime Time Party" beg. February 6th  (Read 134057 times)

Sodboy13

Re: BUZZR "Prime Time Party" beg. February 6th
« Reply #225 on: May 01, 2019, 12:50:39 AM »
One thing I'm noticing with these new CS episodes: As the Perry version progressed, the game got tighter and faster. As the Eubanks version went through the years, it got sloppier and slower. We're getting one full game per show with the Money Cards at the top because the contestants are giving dissertations and Bob is pulling teeth to get a story out of the in-person survey group.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

tyshaun1

« Reply #226 on: May 01, 2019, 04:31:44 PM »
One thing I'm noticing with these new CS episodes: As the Perry version progressed, the game got tighter and faster. As the Eubanks version went through the years, it got sloppier and slower. We're getting one full game per show with the Money Cards at the top because the contestants are giving dissertations and Bob is pulling teeth to get a story out of the in-person survey group.

Seems to me that after the first few months of playing it straight, the show struggled against $OTC ratings wise. Then Mimi O'Brien basically restructured the show around Eubanks's Newlywed Game skills which involved mining humor/smart ass commentary out of everyone and thing. Eventually the actual card game became an afterthought and they could go a whole show without playing the Money Cards.

Tyshaun

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #227 on: May 01, 2019, 09:40:43 PM »
The big problem I had was contestants not freezing in obvious freezing situations, and going when there’s no impetus to do so (the $500 bonus the Perry version offered for a 5-card run was nonexistent, but people would go anyway and inevitably be wrong).
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

SRIV94

« Reply #228 on: May 01, 2019, 09:54:38 PM »
FTR, Perry’s version back tonight.
Doug
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #229 on: May 06, 2019, 12:32:26 AM »
Re: Perry’s Version

Were there rushed endings to the end plugs for these episodes (if you could remember the original broadcasts)? Or was this craftily edited?

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #230 on: May 16, 2019, 01:33:58 PM »
It has come to my attention that apparently, starting this week, Supermarket Sweep has gone back to airing two new-to-Buzzr episodes a night with the episode numbers now running consecutive from 8:30-9:30. Thanks to the minor acceleration in episodes, they've finally exited months of Manager's Special, to usher in the Super Supermarket Sweep era and the $200 Super Sandwich.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

chrisholland03

« Reply #231 on: May 16, 2019, 04:05:15 PM »

Were there rushed endings to the end plugs for these episodes (if you could remember the original broadcasts)? Or was this craftily edited?

They were definitely rushed original air, and my gut says they started it when it moved to noon.  I think it was driven by the different commercial break timing vs the 10am slot.

SRIV94

« Reply #232 on: May 16, 2019, 09:37:42 PM »

They were definitely rushed original air, and my gut says they started it when it moved to noon.  I think it was driven by the different commercial break timing vs the 10am slot.

If the eps Buzzr is currently airing has them, they predated the 12N move.
Doug

aaron sica

« Reply #233 on: May 16, 2019, 10:26:29 PM »

The 12N move happened on August 4, 1980 along with a bunch of other changes which included David Letterman's talk show and "Another World" both being scaled back to an hour from 90 minutes. Buzzr's CS eps are in February 1980, no?

BrandonFG

« Reply #234 on: May 16, 2019, 10:39:45 PM »
Yep. According to Buzzr's web schedule, the upcoming 12:30 am episode aired February 25.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

ivoryman1986

« Reply #235 on: May 16, 2019, 10:56:13 PM »

The 12N move happened on August 4, 1980 along with a bunch of other changes which included David Letterman's talk show and "Another World" both being scaled back to an hour from 90 minutes. Buzzr's CS eps are in February 1980, no?
Actually, CS moved to 12 noon on June 23, 1980. August 4 saw the debut of "Texas" and Password Plus moved to another time slot that day, and Betty White and Bill Cullen were still guests on the time slot change day.

aaron sica

« Reply #236 on: May 17, 2019, 07:06:01 AM »
Actually, CS moved to 12 noon on June 23, 1980. August 4 saw the debut of "Texas" and Password Plus moved to another time slot that day, and Betty White and Bill Cullen were still guests on the time slot change day.

Yes! Thanks for pointing that out. CS moved to noon when "Chain Reaction" was cancelled.

chrisholland03

« Reply #237 on: May 17, 2019, 12:03:59 PM »
That won't be the last time my gut is incorrect :D

tvmitch

« Reply #238 on: May 17, 2019, 02:08:17 PM »
Perhaps it's a small thing, but one of my favorite parts of later episodes of Perry CS is his skill at turning the cards fast and with panache. Definitely made it more exciting.

I have a soft spot for Eubanks CS because it's one of the shows I remember watching when I was younger, but yes, it is a snail's pace.
You should follow me on Twitter

gamed121683

« Reply #239 on: May 17, 2019, 05:54:49 PM »
It has come to my attention that apparently, starting this week, Supermarket Sweep has gone back to airing two new-to-Buzzr episodes a night with the episode numbers now running consecutive from 8:30-9:30. Thanks to the minor acceleration in episodes, they've finally exited months of Manager's Special, to usher in the Super Supermarket Sweep era and the $200 Super Sandwich.

I've meant to ask this, but how is it that BUZZR is able to crank out the Supermarket Sweep reruns like there's no tomorrow yet they're a tad slower in converting their Goodson inventory?