Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: BUZZR "Prime Time Party" beg. February 6th  (Read 134032 times)

Allstar87

Re: BUZZR "Prime Time Party" beg. February 6th
« Reply #150 on: February 19, 2018, 01:39:36 PM »
At least one early O'Hurley episode did the same thing. (Here's the episode in question, in case anyone wanted to see it.  :) )

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JTU_mT0uNus

Scrabbleship

« Reply #151 on: February 19, 2018, 08:13:48 PM »
Re-watching Temptation, I am convinced that for a show that is only a decade old it comes off as a lot more dated than it should ever have been. At least the original 80s $ale had a timeless combination of class meeting kitsch that holds up well.

I seriously wonder how a modern version of $ale would look like. Do you go full modern or do a full-on 80s homage?

TimK2003

« Reply #152 on: February 19, 2018, 08:50:59 PM »
If a "modern" version consists of a darker, cavernous studio with regular shots of the surrounding audience, then Let's Go Retro (clap...clap...clap clap clap!)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Buzzr Prime Time Party
« Reply #153 on: February 19, 2018, 08:53:26 PM »
The larger problem is the "two questions in act one" issue. If a team wins the game after the Double round, then there's nothing to do in act three. Unless they split Fast Money over two acts. (Am I remembering correctly that that's what they did before they started making it impossible for a team to win after the third question?)
Back in the old days the first act was just the show open, monologue and meet the families. If they don't want to do that they could raise the winning score to 400.
Travis L. Eberle

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #154 on: February 19, 2018, 08:58:48 PM »
Re-watching Temptation, I am convinced that for a show that is only a decade old it comes off as a lot more dated than it should ever have been. At least the original 80s $ale had a timeless combination of class meeting kitsch that holds up well.

I seriously wonder how a modern version of $ale would look like. Do you go full modern or do a full-on 80s homage?
It could look like the Australian version. It needs to play closer to the Australian version.
Travis L. Eberle

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Re: Buzzr Prime Time Party
« Reply #155 on: February 20, 2018, 02:50:21 AM »
Back in the old days the first act was just the show open, monologue and meet the families.

Not to pick nits, but I've never seen an episode where this was the case. The '76 shows I'm familiar with had one question before the first break.

These days, I wish they would put the commercials after each of the first two questions, and play the rest, legitimately, in act three. I think the move towards really long first acts (on Feud, Price, and other shows) is to discourage tune-out, but given the popularity of the show, I don't think people are leaving after one question, particularly if you stack that one to be the most eye-grabbing.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Scrabbleship

« Reply #156 on: February 20, 2018, 03:20:45 PM »
If a "modern" version consists of a darker, cavernous studio with regular shots of the surrounding audience, then Let's Go Retro (clap...clap...clap clap clap!)

If Match Game is any indication, a full-on homage or a slight modernization of what worked would be near perfect. Heck, they could have Bente recreate the set she made for the 80s version if she was so compelled to do so.

/ Just don't bring back the rainbow buzzers.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #157 on: February 20, 2018, 05:51:00 PM »
/ Just don't bring back the rainbow buzzers.

Will you still watch if they do?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: Buzzr Prime Time Party
« Reply #158 on: February 20, 2018, 05:58:26 PM »
Not to pick nits, but I've never seen an episode where this was the case. The '76 shows I'm familiar with had one question before the first break.
Totally fair, no quibble from this office.

I'm not a watcher other than when GSN is on when I get home and the game is on the home stretch but there should be a happy medium between a game that ends in four questions where the first half is pointless and happy fun time and 1985 when the game could have six or seven questions and Richard was shackled to the game and couldn't elaborate on hardly anything.
Travis L. Eberle

Sodboy13

« Reply #159 on: February 20, 2018, 08:59:57 PM »
There is, and it's a 5-round game that can be won in 4 if a team sweeps it, which was fine for quite awhile until it wasn't. What's the runtime on a current-day Feud episode? I'd think they'd still be able to squeeze in a 4-5 answer double round and a 3-answer triple unless it's down to 19 minutes or something super-tight.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #160 on: April 05, 2018, 12:12:27 AM »
IYCMI - New to BUZZR episodes of $ale are on...continuing with Tim Holleran’s run.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #161 on: April 05, 2018, 01:23:51 AM »
IYCMI - New to BUZZR episodes of $ale are on...continuing with Tim Holleran’s run.

Yeah, it seems kinda strange that they just jumped right back into where they'd left off (season premiere of year two). They usually ran everything until they were caught up.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #162 on: April 23, 2018, 08:28:31 PM »
At least a couple of new-to-BUZZR P+ episodes will air week after next, unless I completely missed it the first time around.  The last Urich/Braverman ep (#80) airs on 5/10, with Swit/Schuck the next day.  Sked doesn’t go beyond early Monday the 14th.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 10:33:36 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #163 on: April 24, 2018, 02:28:39 PM »
The schedule's all confusing right now because they never updated the episode numbers to reflect the removal of the post-2000 shows from Friday night. They aired episode 183 of Press Your Luck on Friday (continuing the proper numerical order) but then they jumped to episode 186 on Monday. Neither is what the schedule predicted.

Sodboy13

« Reply #164 on: April 25, 2018, 12:58:02 AM »
Is it possible episodes 184-185 aired in the 10-11pm hour over the weekend? I happened to catch those two, and former Stars broadcaster Ralph Strangis was a contestant. I thought the weekends were just repeats of the prior week's episodes, but perhaps that's been changed.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation