Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: BUZZR "Prime Time Party" beg. February 6th  (Read 134040 times)

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
Re: BUZZR "Prime Time Party" beg. February 6th
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2017, 08:17:34 PM »
The difference is that Michael at least participated in the premise of the show and purchased some Instant Bargains.
I'm not sure why people get so hung up on this aspect of Sale.  The majority of the stuff was overpriced luxury items with no realistic use.  Or, as the series came to a close, worthless junk.  But if I'm building a bank to win thousands of dollars in cash, I'm passing on the imported European sofa.

This is essentially how the daytime version (pre-Winner's Board) yielded so many Cash Jackpot wins...

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2017, 08:58:46 PM »
Screener/Zap2It has updated--schedule holding as is.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2017, 09:15:28 PM »
This is essentially how the daytime version (pre-Winner's Board) yielded so many Cash Jackpot wins...
Well, that and the fact they put the Cash Jackpot as its own step before the Lot, which (based on the available footage) led to Jackpot winners understandably not wanting to risk that cash for a shot at getting the other major prizes as well.
That's just human nature. Real talk there are only ever three things in the show room I care about: the exotic trip, the luxury car, and that glass case full of currency. I can see stopping after the first if it was somewhere I wanted to go and was exhausted. I can see stopping after the second if it was the kind of car I wanted/could convert into a lesser-valued car plus tax money and perhaps I had been in a couple of tiebreakers. But when you put that kind of money in front of a sane person, they're going to say "Thanks, bye."
Travis L. Eberle

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2017, 09:33:49 PM »
I didn't realize someone responded to my post. I'd second-guessed myself on it, then deleted it figuring that it probably didn't need to be said. Still...

But when you put that kind of money in front of a sane person, they're going to say "Thanks, bye."
Exactly, and that's why I prefer the syndicated shopping format. Having the Cash Jackpot at the end makes more sense to me.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2017, 09:41:44 PM »
So here's what's interesting. It took $760 to win All the Things and $650 to win just the money. Barbara Phillips won with a total of $764, so by virtue of passing on the car and playing the next game she had enough in the bank to win the jackpot with the twenty bucks contestants started with.

I think that most contestants liked the idea of winning a massive amount of money, and in all likelihood passed on more of those major prizes than they accepted, other than the trip and car. I also think that viewers were more interested in that amount of money more than the smaller prizes unless it was something wacky like the Laserdisc player or that mini-Lamborghini that was in the first bit of the second season. I can see why the last two steps were ordered that way and I can further see why they'd go to the winners bored so soon.
Travis L. Eberle

Sodboy13

« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2017, 11:34:02 PM »
Wait, so the daytime progression was Car -> Cash -> Lot? How did nobody involved understand that the tens of thousands of dollars in cash was the biggest lure?
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

chrisholland03

« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2017, 11:53:35 AM »
Wait, so the daytime progression was Car -> Cash -> Lot? How did nobody involved understand that the tens of thousands of dollars in cash was the biggest lure?

Affirmative.  I'm scrounging round for fact, but I've heard second/third hand Barb Phillips mentioning she had no intention of going for the lot.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2017, 01:29:34 PM »

I think they understood that very well. Once a contestant won five or six games in a row, it was likely that they would win their sixth or seventh. It's better for the prize budget to give up tens of thousands in cash rather than give away tens of thousands in cash plus six prizes that included a luxury car.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2017, 01:39:27 PM »

Speculating, but I'm pretty sure everyone involved understood it.  It allowed them to advertise a giant jackpot that they never really intended to give away.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

snowpeck

« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2017, 05:03:01 PM »
It turns out there is a schedule change on March 27. Two hours of infomercials are now on the weekday lineup at 6AM eastern. It's four hours of infomercials on Saturday and Sunday at the same time.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2017, 07:35:24 PM »
Hmm. I don't know the business side of running a television network, but that seems less than ideal?

On the positive side, the prime time runs of Password Plus and Sale of the Century are continuing with new-to-Buzzr episodes next week (also Card Sharks, I think -- I haven't been following as closely what Buzzr has aired of that).

Nick

« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2017, 07:52:49 PM »
Hmm. I don't know the business side of running a television network, but that seems less than ideal?

I'm only minorly familiar on the subject from my encounters with it at one of the radio stations I worked at (and our TV station across the hall aired infomercials on a daily basis too), but bottom line is when you can do something with your off-peak hours to help your bottom line, you take it.  To your second point of new-to-Buzzr episodes of multiple shows: If this can raise the capital, it's a worthy investment.

As I recall, was it not at the time when GSN entered the "Dark Period" that they first picked up infomercials?  Obviously Buzzr can't lose the Goodson-Todman library or they'd have no programming to air.  On the other hand, does this mean The Price Is Right and Feud '94 can make the schedule?
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

snowpeck

« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2017, 08:27:19 PM »
Quick question for those more familiar... how far has Buzzr gotten with its Press Your Luck reruns?
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

jimlangefan

« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2017, 08:37:41 PM »
Quick question for those more familiar... how far has Buzzr gotten with its Press Your Luck reruns?

They're still plugging along in 1984.  According to their schedule, next Wednesday they'll be up to 2/22/1984.  To my knowledge, except for LMAD, the whole Prime time lineup is new to BUZZR episodes I believe. 
TV's Big Dealer

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2017, 08:39:27 PM »

Ooh! I know this one, because that's the run I'm patiently waiting for more episodes of!

The most recent episode of Press Your Luck that Buzzr has aired (not including the two Michael Larson episodes and that episode they aired as part of an Independence Day marathon) is episode 131 (original air date: March 21, 1984).