Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: BUZZR "Prime Time Party" beg. February 6th  (Read 134038 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Re: BUZZR "Prime Time Party" beg. February 6th
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2017, 09:09:27 AM »
Meanwhile, it appears that Password Plus is going from the beginning (I don't know how much of it Buzzr has carried)

Only three episodes--two from February 1979 (as part of previous marathon programming) and the 7/4/80 episode (also part of a previous marathon).
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

SwohS Emag

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2017, 11:11:11 AM »
I forgot to record last night's NYSI episodes on BUZZR.  What episodes aired?  The schedule indicated that the first one was a "pilot," which I interpreted as a rerun of the test show that they aired back on the "Lost 'n Found" block 17 months ago.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2017, 12:25:07 PM »
I forgot to record last night's NYSI episodes on BUZZR.  What episodes aired?  The schedule indicated that the first one was a "pilot," which I interpreted as a rerun of the test show that they aired back on the "Lost 'n Found" block 17 months ago.

Yep--the test show and the 4/1/74 ep.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

jimlangefan

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2017, 11:54:21 AM »
Beginning March 6th, Jim Perry's Card Sharks will replace the Eubanks version in the Prime Time Party lineup.  They will start with episode #62 (airdate 7/18/1978)  Also Child's Play will replace Super Password in the morning as well, but no word on where those episodes will begin. 
TV's Big Dealer

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2017, 11:16:54 PM »
I just wish they'd get to the point in the run where the change rules came into effect. To me, it feels a teensy bit counterproductive to put almost $29,000 on offer and not give a chance to the contestant to at least try to improve their position more than at the very beginning.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2017, 11:20:44 PM »
I can understand why they didn't in the beginning: you have a certain amount of money you can give away, and who knows if the show survives thirteen weeks. When the show starts to roll along and get popular, then sure, change the rules we know and love where you can change each base card.
Travis L. Eberle

snowpeck

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2017, 12:47:36 AM »
Beginning March 6th, Jim Perry's Card Sharks will replace the Eubanks version in the Prime Time Party lineup.  They will start with episode #62 (airdate 7/18/1978)  Also Child's Play will replace Super Password in the morning as well, but no word on where those episodes will begin.

It looks like the Child's Play change doesn't happen until the following week, according to Buzzr's online schedule. They're starting with episode 128, but I don't know the airdate of that one.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

ivoryman1986

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2017, 01:19:18 AM »

It looks like the Child's Play change doesn't happen until the following week, according to Buzzr's online schedule. They're starting with episode 128, but I don't know the airdate of that one.
Episode 128's air date is March 18, 1983. The Turnabout end game debuted on episode 154. I don't believe GSN ever rerun episodes 164-168(May 9-13, 1983) or did they in its early years, my hunch says that Gene Wood returned to the mic that week or it could be Bob Hilton continuing to fill-in during that week.

Sodboy13

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2017, 01:20:18 AM »
I can understand why they didn't in the beginning: you have a certain amount of money you can give away, and who knows if the show survives thirteen weeks. When the show starts to roll along and get popular, then sure, change the rules we know and love where you can change each base card.

This is a really good point, and something I'd never thought of. You can playtest and shoot pilots all you want, but until you get real contestants with real money making wagers in that particular end game, you don't know how those payouts are going to average out in the long-term. Once ratings prove adequate and there's some unexpected surplus after that first order of shows, you can loosen the purse strings.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2017, 12:55:15 AM »

This is a really good point, and something I'd never thought of. You can playtest and shoot pilots all you want, but until you get real contestants with real money making wagers in that particular end game, you don't know how those payouts are going to average out in the long-term. Once ratings prove adequate and there's some unexpected surplus after that first order of shows, you can loosen the purse strings.
I just now was able to find the episode guide:

It took six weeks for someone to win more than ten grand in one fell swoop at the Money Cards, and there were a smattering of $5k wins. After eighteen weeks the more familiar rules were in place, so I think that my idea of "hey, we're going to be renewed/we're somewhat popular, so we can loosen the purse strings" was a bit on point.
Travis L. Eberle

chrisholland03

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2017, 12:50:22 PM »

It took six weeks for someone to win more than ten grand in one fell swoop at the Money Cards, and there were a smattering of $5k wins. After eighteen weeks the more familiar rules were in place, so I think that my idea of "hey, we're going to be renewed/we're somewhat popular, so we can loosen the purse strings" was a bit on point.

By chance, how many busts and under $1k wins were in the first 6 weeks?  It felt like a lot, would be nice to see what the data says.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2017, 03:54:30 PM »

I just now was able to find the episode guide:

I was under the impression from Chris Clemenson that Goodson shows went in with a guaranteed 26 weeks.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 07:26:12 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2017, 04:09:18 PM »
By chance, how many busts and under $1k wins were in the first 6 weeks?  It felt like a lot, would be nice to see what the data says.
I'll see what I can find tonight, but in looking for it I found some fan-made webpage that put forth the idea that on the CBS version after giving away $90k in one week with the change rules where you could use your three cards as you saw fit, that the rules were changed to one card per line, but anywhere on that line.
Travis L. Eberle

chrisholland03

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2017, 05:18:00 PM »
I'll see what I can find tonight, but in looking for it I found some fan-made webpage that put forth the idea that on the CBS version after giving away $90k in one week with the change rules where you could use your three cards as you saw fit, that the rules were changed to one card per line, but anywhere on that line.

I have an example from very early in the run where the contestant changes 2 cards on the same line - if I find it, I'll throw it up on the YouTubes and link it here. 

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2017, 01:41:18 AM »
I live to serve, and shout out to archive.org:

Final scores of the Money Cards for the first six weeks

600-3000-BUST-5200-BUST-2600-725-BUST-2100-200-6600-1050
Two episodes with no data
800-3150-2400-7200
two episodes with no data
2100-9600-BUST-4800-100(er?)-4500-BUST-BUST-2000 (down from 7000)-3200-12900 (with 8 on big bet)-800-700-BUST-BUST-400-2900-14800

So as opposed to one week giving away $90,000; the first six weeks of Card Sharks gave away $94,425; though there's those episodes to be filled in. It's fun to say "You can win $28,800!" but I think they were planning on a lot of people winning either less than a thousand dollars or a few thousand dollars, and those big wins would come along like on $20,000 Pyramid.
Travis L. Eberle