Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Game Show Host Look Alike Contest  (Read 17193 times)

Track Man 876

The Game Show Host Look Alike Contest
« on: June 27, 2003, 10:39:54 PM »
Hello once again fellow game show fans!  It's been quite a long time since I made a post, since I had trouble getting full membership to the ezboard.  But it feels good to be back again and to talk with you guys about game shows.
For my first post here on Invision, I felt like having a little fun.  It's something I wanted to do for quite a while, but I'm happy enough to finally do this.  It's the Game Show Host Look Alike Contest.  No, it's not really a contest, and there are no winners.  It's just a list of people that I thought of, who I see often on national TV, and believe that they look somewhat similar to a certain game show host.  Here are a few of them:

Robert Reed: Alex Trebek

Patrick Duffy: Bert Convy (Bert even said on a WLOD episode \"I get that a lot\")

Also, have you seen the commercial for Werther's Original Caramel Candy?  The guy who says \"It's the finest caramel I ever had\" looks somewhat similar to a younger Chuck Woolery.

That's all I can think of for right now.  I had some others, but I decided not to put them on the list, because when I take a second look, they don't really look alike.  Can you think of any others?  Feel free to add to the list.  Thanks in advance.

whewfan

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2003, 05:25:09 AM »
I always thought Robb Weller resembled Bert Convy as well, although he had NONE of Bert's talent

The guy who plays the father on the gawdawful Fox show \"The Pitts\" looks like a cross between David Graf and Todd Newton.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2003, 06:12:30 AM »
My 9th grade algebra teacher was the spitting image of Art Fleming. In looks and in voice. True story. Weird guy, tho. Never said anything about it to him 'cuz I was afraid he wouldn't appreciate it as I did. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2003, 07:36:14 AM »
The first time I saw \"The Money Maze,\" I thought, \"Oh good! Clark Race has a new show!\"
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Winkfan

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2003, 04:48:27 PM »
Speaking of 'game show host lookalikes,' might I point out Jim Peck and Peter Tomarken both look somewhat alike. I have a 1986 episode of Crosswits in which BOTH of these men were guests. What's more, they were both on the same team! I was expecting one of them to admit that he had been looking in a mirror all along!

Or how about Tom Bergeron and Pat Bullard! When I hosted my first 'net Match Game question a couple of years ago, I had Pat on my 'cyber-celeb panel,' and he held up a 'blue card' that said, 'I am NOT Tom Bergeron!'

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Kathy Mitchell of the Big Board!'
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

J.R.

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2003, 06:36:30 PM »
I sorta bear a striking resemblance to Gordon Elliott in his TTTT 90 days.

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

Esoteric Eric

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2003, 08:50:32 PM »
It's just a list of people that I thought of, who I see often on national TV, and believe that they look somewhat similar to a certain game show host.

Well, that's how it started, Track Man, but two of the other replies you've gotten so far misinterpreted what you're looking for.  

(Heck, I'm no better; when I started this reply, I was gonna bring up the striking similarity of \"Monopoly\" host Michael Reilly and a guy who was a trainer at a gym I used that summer (1990). Then I reread the original post.)

Anyway... after watching David Hasselhoff on last night's \"Whose Line...?\", it occurred to me that he could play a Chuck Woolery-type, in a \"Diagnosis: Murder/She Wrote\"-sort of way... couldn't he?

And is everyone being nice, or has no one else remembered the resemblance of Jim Perry to HRH The Prince of Wales?  (I think they even did a CS survey, showing Jim's headshot and Prince Charles' portrait to 100 people on the street and asking the folks if the two pix were the same guy.)

Esoteric Eric... No, really, as soon as Mike Reilly was introed on the first ep, I said, \"So, Merv was working out one day, and his trainer says, 'Y'know, Mr. G., I'd be a really good GS host if I ever got the chance.'\" ((8=D))
« Last Edit: June 28, 2003, 08:52:54 PM by Esoteric Eric »
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

clemon79

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2003, 09:06:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Esoteric Eric\' date=\'Jun 28 2003, 05:50 PM\'] Esoteric Eric... No, really, as soon as Mike Reilly was introed on the first ep, I said, "So, Merv was working out one day, and his trainer says, 'Y'know, Mr. G., I'd be a really good GS host if I ever got the chance.'" ((8=D)) [/quote]
 If I remember correctly, that isn't too far removed from how it happened.

(I'm trying to remember a story I heard fifteen years ago, so there's a good chance I'm goofing it up.)

IIRC, Reilly was actually being used as a test contestant when they were developing the game. Griffin was present (I _believe_ he was playing \"host\"), decided he wanted to try playing, and booted Reilly over to the host's podium. Merv liked what he saw.

Esoteric Eric

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2003, 09:27:35 PM »
IIRC, Reilly was actually being used as a test contestant when they were developing the game. Griffin was present (I _believe_ he was playing \"host\"), decided he wanted to try playing, and booted Reilly over to the host's podium. Merv liked what he saw.

I think you're right, Chris.

It's certainly logical for Reilly to have been present as a test contestant, since (per EOTVGS2) he had been a contestant on \"Jeopardy!\"  (I wasn't aware of his J! appearance at the time of his hosting debut.)

Esoteric Eric... but the trainer at my gym - sheesh - I could've beaten him (to say nothing of all the other trainers and half the clientele) at J! with half my brain tied behind my back!
(Oh, yeah, and about the actual SUBJECT of the thread... uh, how 'bout Kennedy and SNL's Tina Fey?  Mike Darrow and \"Scrubs\"' John C. McGinley?)
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

Dan Sadro

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2003, 09:37:55 PM »
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the famous example of game show hosts -- Rayburn and Marshall.  Someone with a better memory than mine probably can explain why they were both on a Pontiac commercial at the same time... I seem to remember that it had something to do with a thought bubble.

whampyl03

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2003, 01:53:38 AM »
I think I personally look like a very constipated Jim Peck.

ChuckNet

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2003, 12:47:01 PM »
Patrick Duffy: Bert Convy (Bert even said on a WLOD episode \"I get that a lot\")

I also had a friend tell me he thought Bert looked like Tom Jones.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

clemon79

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2003, 01:40:13 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jun 29 2003, 09:47 AM\'] I also had a friend tell me he thought Bert looked like Tom Jones.
 [/quote]
 That's not unusual.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2003, 04:18:40 PM »
The story I heard about Monopoly states that Reilly was indeed a test contestant. The tryout host (it wasn't Merv) blew, and Reilly jokingly said to Merv, \"I could do better than that guy.\"

bricon

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2003, 04:52:07 PM »
The story I heard about Monopoly states that Reilly was indeed a test contestant. The tryout host (it wasn't Merv) blew, and Reilly jokingly said to Merv, \"I could do better than that guy

For what it's worth, the host of the Monopoly pilot was Peter Tomarken, who did (in my opinion) a capable job.  
The pilot also featured a little person in a tuxedo to move around the board.

Merv has used unknowns before (one that comes to mind is Arizona newscaster Ron Hoon, who hosted a pilot called Buzzword)  And, Pat Sajak was a national unknown when selected for Wheel.  So he's apparently willing to take a chance on new blood.