Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New "Funny You Should Ask!" coming this fall  (Read 18794 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Re: New "Funny You Should Ask!" coming this fall
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2017, 11:28:39 PM »
But really, $5,000 as top prize in 2017?

Did you just criticize a Byron Allen show for being cheap with no irony whatsoever?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TimK2003

« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2017, 09:12:01 AM »
Well somebody has to pay the royalties for "Happy" every time the theme is played!

narzo

« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2017, 07:06:11 PM »
I am throughly enjoying this show, and hope it gets an audience.  The "zingers" are better than anything the stars had in the "H2" reboot, and I like the fact there is a host who isn't trying to be the real center of attention.  It's "game show 101", which I find refreshing in this overproduced, over the top loud, climate of the shows today. 

BrandonFG

« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2017, 01:41:19 PM »
I finally got to catch the last five minutes. Am I correct that the bonus round is simply pick the correct answer out of six, the last of which is a gag answer?

This morning's question involved picking the right survey percentage, which seems like a huge shot in the dark for $5K.

I still want to see more, but the portion of the bonus round I saw seems really light.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2017, 10:47:34 PM »
This morning's question involved picking the right survey percentage, which seems like a huge shot in the dark for $5K.

For more information, see:  Allen, Byron

I still want to see more, but the portion of the bonus round I saw seems really light.

It literally is Hollywood Squares without tic-tac-toe, and that's all it is.  Contestants don't even select celebrities.  For each question, there's the ha-ha funny answer (and the writing isn't horrible), and then the "real" answer that the contestant agrees or disagrees with.  Except they don't use that language, because that would be a little too on-the-nose.  Contestants decide whether a star's answer is "right" or "wrong", that's how they get the...dollars.

Also, a surprising but nice touch for those monetarily inclined: The $5K bonus is *in addition* to money won in the main game, usually in the neighborhood of $1500 or so.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2017, 08:53:21 AM »
It literally is Hollywood Squares without tic-tac-toe, and that's all it is.
Which makes one wonder why the penny-pinching producer paid for the rights to a format that he really isn't using (assuming he did; maybe the whole thing is in the public domain by now). He could just as easily have done the same show with a different title. It's not as if the original show had a legion of fans just begging for a revival.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2017, 10:57:13 AM »
Which makes one wonder why the penny-pinching producer paid for the rights to a format that he really isn't using (assuming he did; maybe the whole thing is in the public domain by now). He could just as easily have done the same show with a different title. It's not as if the original show had a legion of fans just begging for a revival.
Merill Heather's probably at home saying "they stole the format of one of my shows and the title of another..." :)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Scrabbleship

« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2017, 11:03:24 AM »

It's far enough removed that 99.98% of the world wouldn't know that there even was an original at this point. You do bring up an interesting point though with...

maybe the whole thing is in the public domain by now

He's credited as the creator in the end credits. This opens up a question about what happens to game show formats if they die and the rights holders might barely remember they existed.

Merrill Heather's probably at home saying "they stole the format of one of my shows and the title of another..." :)

I tried to weave this into mine but you beat me to this. I nearly spat coffee on a new laptop. Bravo! :)

On the tangent of Squares and Heatter reworking his own idea multiple times and Byron Allen, the two have crossed paths before: Allen did a few weeks of Marshall Squares towards the end of that show's run (and it wouldn't faze me if he did Battlestars too given it was on at Real People's peak).

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2017, 12:54:26 PM »

I don't think Byron paid anybody for the rights to anything.  As far as he's concerned, this is his own original show.

Also, I can't tell specifically if you're referring to the obscure 60s game Funny You Should Ask or not, but I've seen several people on Facebook claim that this is a remake of that (including an overeager Wikipedia editor), and that's just not the case.  Aside from the title, and the fact that the celebrities seem randomly strewn around the set, the two shows are not the same game.  Just as there are several completely different shows that are called Break The Bank, and a 50s game called Wheel of Fortune that has nothing to do with Hangman, this is just a different show that happens to use a common phrase as its title.  It wouldn't surprise me at all of Byron was completely unaware the earlier show with that title even existed.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2017, 02:16:20 PM »

I don't think Byron paid anybody for the rights to anything.  As far as he's concerned, this is his own original show.

Also, I can't tell specifically if you're referring to the obscure 60s game Funny You Should Ask or not, but I've seen several people on Facebook claim that this is a remake of that (including an overeager Wikipedia editor), and that's just not the case.  Aside from the title, and the fact that the celebrities seem randomly strewn around the set, the two shows are not the same game.  Just as there are several completely different shows that are called Break The Bank, and a 50s game called Wheel of Fortune that has nothing to do with Hangman, this is just a different show that happens to use a common phrase as its title.  It wouldn't surprise me at all of Byron was completely unaware the earlier show with that title even existed.
Yes, I was under the impression that it was a remake (albeit in name only) based on the existence of the earlier show and the similar positioning of celebrities. Your explanation makes more sense, though.

alfonzos

« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2017, 12:14:39 AM »
The program is using questions from the original HS series. On today's airing, Louie Anderson received the opportunity to deliver Paul Lynde's response to "How many balls are there on a billiard table?"

"That depends. How many guys are playing?"
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

BillCullen1

« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2017, 01:28:59 PM »
The program is using questions from the original HS series. On today's airing, Louie Anderson received the opportunity to deliver Paul Lynde's response to "How many balls are there on a billiard table?"

"That depends. How many guys are playing?"

Actually, it was Charley Weaver who said that classic line, to give credit where it's due.

polo23

« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2017, 02:56:57 PM »
Don't look for the show to much of an impact. It is not even making a ratings dent in some markets. The highest will probably be 0.4.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2017, 03:04:17 PM »
Don't look for the show to much of an impact. It is not even making a ratings dent in some markets. The highest will probably be 0.4.

Source please.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2017, 06:33:05 PM »
Entertainment Studios programming has never really made much of an impact in syndication, so that doesn't surprise me. It's inexpensive programming, usually for late night or weekend schedules. In the case of his sitcoms or Comics Unleashed, it's set up to run for several years in reruns or on his cable networks.

Much as we rag on him, he has a pretty solid business model. That said, someone posted a trade ad stating massive ratings improvement from Sept. 2016 programming. If it was a late-night program (infomercials, sitcom reruns), I imagine program directors are happy regardless.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!