Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New "Funny You Should Ask!" coming this fall  (Read 18922 times)

BrandonFG

Re: New "Funny You Should Ask!" coming this fall
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 12:37:13 AM »
I do rag on his work a lot, but I give him a ton of credit for building the system he has. If it works for him (and clearly it does), then more power to him.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 01:52:57 PM »
I looked up this article the other day to learn more about how Allen operated and found it quite informative.

Ah, yes... I remember a brief discussion on this forum a while back. I think this quote from the article is still relevant:

While long-running shows such as Judge Judy feature actual plaintiffs and defendants who have agreed to accept the legal outcomes of their televised trials, Allen’s versions star scripted actors who go through the motions of a trial but have nothing at stake. [...] People love legal programs, Allen says, because they have “a winner and a loser.”

Given the format of Funny You Should Ask, they shouldn't need to interfere with the contestants. Still, I'd watch the end credits very carefully for disclaimers.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2017, 08:14:25 PM »
I looked up this article the other day to learn more about how Allen operated and found it quite informative.

Ah, yes... I remember a brief discussion on this forum a while back. I think this quote from the article is still relevant:

While long-running shows such as Judge Judy feature actual plaintiffs and defendants who have agreed to accept the legal outcomes of their televised trials, Allen’s versions star scripted actors who go through the motions of a trial but have nothing at stake. [...] People love legal programs, Allen says, because they have “a winner and a loser.”

Given the format of Funny You Should Ask, they shouldn't need to interfere with the contestants. Still, I'd watch the end credits very carefully for disclaimers.

"For the purposes of making the program entertaining, celebrities and actors playing contestants have been given the questions and answers and the outcomes are pre-determined."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

SwohS Emag

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2017, 08:01:58 AM »
Bumping this thread to indicate that the airdate schedule is now available on the Pathfire website.

Would someone please help me interpret this?  There is an "A" feed and a "B" feed.  I presume that the "B" feed will be shown in markets with double runs, correct?  If that's the case, then it appears that all 260 episodes will air over the course of 10 months (through June 2018). 

Does that mean that for double run markets the show will be completely reruns for the 2018-19 season?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2017, 10:01:00 AM »
Does that mean that for double run markets the show will be completely reruns for the 2018-19 season?

It's a Byron Allen joint. Who'd know the difference?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SwohS Emag

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2017, 10:10:41 AM »

It's a Byron Allen joint. Who'd know the difference?

Thanks for the editorial comment.  Dealing in fact, though, is my presumption correct?

BrandonFG

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2017, 10:44:25 AM »
Chris is on to something though. When Byron produced his sitcoms a few years ago, they taped 100 episodes all at once so that they would have several seasons of content.

I'm guessing he's doing a similar method here, although I'm guessing he'll still do new episodes as long as ratings allow*. But, I don't recall Byron Allen shows doing double runs to begin with.

*Not that this really matters in the Byron Allen universe
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

colonial

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2017, 11:50:18 AM »
Byron Allen-produced daytime court shows are offered for double-run broadcast. I know in Atlanta, both "America's Court" and "Justice with Judge Mablean" air in one-hour blocks, two episodes each.

Bob Zager

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2017, 01:19:40 PM »
Here's a promo video I found on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3YPQtgJm9k

You'll see some links to other clips from the show there.

BrandonFG

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2017, 05:26:43 PM »
It's finally happened. I actually intentionally laughed at something produced by Byron Allen. :P

Jokes aside, this seems like it could be worth a watch...kinda had a Hollywood Squares vibe to it. Just wish it had a later time slot in my market (10:30 am).

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2017, 05:47:00 PM »
Jokes aside, this seems like it could be worth a watch...kinda had a Hollywood Squares vibe to it. Just wish it had a later time slot in my market (10:30 am).

9am here.  That's what DVRs are for.  That, and getting past the dull parts, but there's a chance this won't have too many.

Think Hollywood Squares without tic-tac-toe and without dead-weight celebrities.  Everybody brings the funny, but it comes down to a game of agreeing or disagreeing with the "real" answer, played for points.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2017, 05:54:26 PM »
9am here.  That's what DVRs are for.
Believe it or not, I'm probably one of the very few people who still doesn't have a DVR. I've considered it, but not sure how much use it would get.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2017, 07:23:10 PM »
Believe it or not, I'm probably one of the very few people who still doesn't have a DVR. I've considered it, but not sure how much use it would get.

You will get lots of use out of it. No question. Aside from the obvious, I've grown so accustomed to be able to pause & rewind live shows, that you really do feel it when you're somewhere without that ability.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Fedya

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2017, 09:37:10 PM »
You'll find things to record.

I've got about 40 movies I haven't watched yet on mine.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2017, 10:13:43 PM »
9am here.  That's what DVRs are for.

I live and die by the DVR. I typically use it for news, but still....