Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New "Funny You Should Ask!" coming this fall  (Read 18913 times)

Bob Zager

New "Funny You Should Ask!" coming this fall
« on: January 15, 2017, 01:48:59 PM »
Here's a link to an article about the new show:

https://thegrio.com/2017/01/10/funny-you-should-ask-entertainment-studios/

Here's a link to a cartoon drawing of the set, shown on host Jon Kelley's twitter site:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CynYw87UQAMyXMT.jpg

Matt Ottinger

Re: New "Funny You Should Ask!" coming this fall
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 01:32:28 PM »
Part of the Byron Allen media empire, which means it will be done as fast and cheap as possible. I'm honestly a little surprised at the caliber of names they're promoting, since unlike Byron's old "talk shows", the stars would actually have to come to the studio for this rather than just being part of a press junket for whatever they were promoting. From what I hear, it's a simple game of agreeing or disagreeing with celebrities' responses to questions, after the joke answers of course. It's Hollywood Squares without tic-tac-toe. Another Byron Allen "original".
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 02:13:27 PM »
But a very attractive scenic production!
czambo@mac.com

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 03:14:51 PM »
Part of the Byron Allen media empire, which means it will be done as fast and cheap as possible. I'm honestly a little surprised at the caliber of names they're promoting, since unlike Byron's old "talk shows", the stars would actually have to come to the studio for this rather than just being part of a press junket for whatever they were promoting.
I noticed a few of the stars were on Byron's sitcoms, The First Family and Mr. Box Office. I know he's done other shows and movies, but I'm pretty sure I've seen Harland Williams on Comics Unleashed. I'm guessing this will get a midday time slot like his court shows, or a late night spot like his press junket shows. No in-between. The one silver lining: if it's anything like his other shows, this will at least have a long shelf life. Byron has to have a record for longest-running shows that no one watches. :P

Interesting that they already have the "premiere" week lineup. As Matt noted, this will probably be mass produced like his sitcoms, with a full season in the can in a short amount of time. IIRC, his sitcoms taped 100 episodes' worth all at once. That way, he knew he could lock in a three- or four-year syndication deal, and not work towards the magic number of 100 eps.

/It is a nice set
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 05:40:46 PM »
Interesting that they already have the "premiere" week lineup. As Matt noted, this will probably be mass produced like his sitcoms, with a full season in the can in a short amount of time.

Do you think? I have to think the comedians are going to want to use this as a promotional vehicle as well, and the ones that air later in the run won't be able to plug their appearance at Guffaw's Comedy Townhouse on April 23rd.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 06:13:16 PM »
Do you think? I have to think the comedians are going to want to use this as a promotional vehicle as well, and the ones that air later in the run won't be able to plug their appearance at Guffaw's Comedy Townhouse on April 23rd.
It's been a long time since I watched Comics Unleashed, but from what I remember, the promotional stuff was very, very generic*. So, I don't think they'd even get that specific. But, I get where you're coming from, so maybe they will be more time-sensitive.

*/With a Byron Allen product, I repeat myself
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

clemon79

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 10:46:45 PM »
It's been a long time since I watched Comics Unleashed, but from what I remember, the promotional stuff was very, very generic*. So, I don't think they'd even get that specific. But, I get where you're coming from, so maybe they will be more time-sensitive.

Could be added in post, too, I suppose. "Check out Bruce Baum on April 12th at Titter's Chuckle Stop in Joliet, IL!"

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 11:58:54 PM »
Watching the show, I find Lloyd a fine host and the premise is amusing but can see lots of ways for a production company to bungle it.
Travis L. Eberle

Sodboy13

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 12:05:06 AM »
Could be added in post, too, I suppose. "Check out Bruce Baum on April 12th at Titter's Chuckle Stop in Joliet, IL!"

FYI, Titter's closed down a few years ago and is now an extermination supplies store. Fartknockerz on the other side of the river is still open, though.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 05:29:19 PM »

FYI, Titter's closed down a few years ago and is now an extermination supplies store. Fartknockerz on the other side of the river is still open, though.
For the record, I would totally check out a show at any of these places, esp. the Comedy Townhouse.

/Well not Titter's, since that's closed down apparently :P

colonial

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 08:21:08 PM »
Here's a recent article on Byron Allen pitching "Funny You Should Ask" at NATPE. It appears he's gunning for prime access slots to challenge the old standards (J!, WOF, entertainment newsmagazines) and be taken seriously as a TV heavyweight ...

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/100760/byron-allens-syndie-target-prime-access?utm_source=NetNewsCheck-rss&utm_medium=originals&utm_campaign=originals-Byron-Allen-s-Syndie-Target-Prime-Access?ref=search

May be a pipe dream for Allen to get those slots, as there's simply little wiggle room to add first-run syndie content in 2017-18. Too many syndie shows have multi-year deals, plus you have expanded local news and in-house programming (e.g. T.D. Jakes' talk show from Tegna, "The List" from Scripps) filling all the time slot holes.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/100586/old-syndie-shows-not-making-way-for-new/page/1

JD

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 08:33:14 PM »
Here's a recent article on Byron Allen pitching "Funny You Should Ask" at NATPE. It appears he's gunning for prime access slots to challenge the old standards (J!, WOF, entertainment newsmagazines) and be taken seriously as a TV heavyweight ...

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/100760/byron-allens-syndie-target-prime-access?utm_source=NetNewsCheck-rss&utm_medium=originals&utm_campaign=originals-Byron-Allen-s-Syndie-Target-Prime-Access?ref=search

May be a pipe dream for Allen to get those slots, as there's simply little wiggle room to add first-run syndie content in 2017-18. Too many syndie shows have multi-year deals, plus you have expanded local news and in-house programming (e.g. T.D. Jakes' talk show from Tegna, "The List" from Scripps) filling all the time slot holes.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/100586/old-syndie-shows-not-making-way-for-new/page/1

JD

Is TD Jakes making it?  It's not cleared in Flint-Sag on any of the broadcast channels and it seems to not be as prominent on OWN.  Our CW affil will need a replacement for CNG in prime access, so they might pick it up.  It's a Sinclair station.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

colonial

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 09:22:14 PM »

JD

Is TD Jakes making it?  It's not cleared in Flint-Sag on any of the broadcast channels and it seems to not be as prominent on OWN.  Our CW affil will need a replacement for CNG in prime access, so they might pick it up.  It's a Sinclair station.

Last ratings released publicly on TD Jakes was back in mid-September -- 0.7. It currently airs in Atlanta twice daily at 8am and 2pm and hasn't appeared to make much of a dent ratings-wise.

The Tegna affiliate in Atlanta is reportedly going to launch a locally-produced "African-American-centric" talk show as soon as this fall that, if it does well locally, will expand to other markets.

Another Tegna station in New Orleans (WWL) is reportedly working on a "singing competition show" that, like the Atlanta series, could expand to another markets if it tests well. Articles in B&C and TV News Check don't elaborate outside of "singing competition", so I have no clue if this is a talent show, a music-based game show ("Singing Bee") or something different.

JD

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 09:37:42 PM »

STATION MANAGER: Hmmmmm....an hour of Two Broke Girls or a Byron Allen game show? (weighs hands)

/FWIW, I opt for a Test Pattern

clemon79

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 10:45:42 PM »
STATION MANAGER: Hmmmmm....an hour of Two Broke Girls or a Byron Allen game show? (weighs hands)

You mock, but one of them costs a whole lot less to acquire, and by that I mean $0. I looked up this article the other day to learn more about how Allen operated and found it quite informative.