Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New "Funny You Should Ask!" coming this fall  (Read 18921 times)

tpirfan28

Re: New "Funny You Should Ask!" coming this fall
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2017, 06:41:38 PM »
Aside from the title, and the fact that the celebrities seem randomly strewn around the set, the two shows are not the same game.  Just as there are several completely different shows that are called Break The Bank, and a 50s game called Wheel of Fortune that has nothing to do with Hangman, this is just a different show that happens to use a common phrase as its title.
Mark Goodson had to change the game "Blank Check" to "Check Game" because Barry/Enright sued them...eleven years after their game went off the air (and five after Blank Check's game debut).
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2017, 10:53:16 AM »
Mark Goodson had to change the game "Blank Check" to "Check Game" because Barry/Enright sued them...

Do we have a source for this?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Allstar87

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2017, 12:01:48 PM »
Mark Goodson had to change the game "Blank Check" to "Check Game" because Barry/Enright sued them...

Just a lot of similar mentions on various fan sites.  According to the Golden Road FAQ, Barry-Enright filed a lawsuit, and rather than fight it, Goodson chose to (emphasis mine) change the name of the pricing game, which is a much different thing than being forced to, and therefore has very little to do with my original point.

This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TimK2003

« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2017, 06:34:30 PM »

Just a lot of similar mentions on various fan sites.  According to the Golden Road FAQ, Barry-Enright filed a lawsuit, and rather than fight it, Goodson chose to (emphasis mine) change the name of the pricing game, which is a much different thing than being forced to, and therefore has very little to do with my original point.

You wonder why B&E filed lawsuit over the use of the name of a game that flopped big time.  I believe Art James at the GSC in 1998 said the show's "alternate" title was, "Blank Mind".

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2017, 08:13:06 PM »
You wonder why B&E filed lawsuit over the use of the name of a game that flopped big time.

Because if you don't protect your copyrights, you lose them. Simple as that.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SamJ93

« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2017, 08:44:42 PM »
I've also wondered if finances may have had something to do with it. Both of B&E's flagship shows were cancelled in 1986 after years of declining ratings, and perhaps someone there thought an easy out-of-court settlement would provide a quick cash infusion.
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2017, 10:45:09 PM »
I do think it bears noting that Barry-Enright named a show Bullseye years after there was a TPIR pricing game by that name.  (Two, if you want to get technical.)

/Looking forward to the upcoming lawsuit when whomever owns the B-E properties decides to sue over Hot Seat.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2017, 04:43:01 PM »
/Looking forward to the upcoming lawsuit when whomever owns the B-E properties decides to sue over Hot Seat.
Hot Seat was H-Q.
--Mark
Phil 4:13