Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Possible "Starcade" reboot  (Read 5274 times)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Possible "Starcade" reboot
« on: January 10, 2017, 01:13:11 PM »
There are early rumblings that Shout! Factory, the company responsible for bringing many cult classics to DVD, has acquired the rights to Starcade and intends to "retro-boot" it.

While I can't find a direct link to an official announcement, there is reference to the announcement at http://kotaku.com/shout-factory-plans-to-reboot-80s-game-show-starcade-1791020240 .

Based on the above link, it looks like the "retro-boot" may be less of a game show and more of a competition between established "Let's Play"-type internet personalities.

DoItRockapella

Re: Possible "Starcade" reboot
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 01:30:23 PM »
Beat me to posting this. Why do I get the feeling the end result is going to be another crowdfunding campaign?

Full disclosure: while I say now that I am sick of crowdfunding campaigns, I did once donate $15 to a Kickstarter page. It had nothing to do with game shows.

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 01:43:24 PM »
Shout! Factory is a legit shop...they handled the DVD release of the complete WKRP series. As you probably know, that show had a laundry list of music clearance issues. Shout! managed to get the rights to about 80% of the songs used in the original run, which was not cheap.

I could be wrong, but I don't see them going the Kickstarter route the way Phil Moore did with the proposed Nick Arcade revival. That said, I see this working more as an online series; Shout! has a channel via streaming services, where you can watch some of the shows they own. I could see this show going on that channel.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 02:11:25 PM »
Great quote in the article that really sums it up:

"Starcade was awkward, but not in a way that a video game-loving child of the ‘80s would have noticed."

If the idea is to target online, there's an idea practically laying there in the title: use the "stars" of the YouTube gaming universe and have them play something resembling the old format where the gamers can have fun with it like the stars on other '70s-'80s game shows did. I bet they could pull out some retro arcade titles that they're not familiar with and get some kind of reaction out of them. Otherwise, I'm not sure what licensing the title gets you.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

chad1m

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 07:07:23 PM »
Continuing this thread to note that new-TV-rights-holders-Shout! Factory will be streaming every episode of classic Starcade in a marathon on Twitch beginning August 22nd at 2 PM ET. Bleeding Cool has the details and a pretty neat trailer showing off a shiny new logo.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 06:55:16 PM »
Continuing this thread to note that new-TV-rights-holders-Shout! Factory will be streaming every episode of classic Starcade in a marathon on Twitch beginning August 22nd at 2 PM ET. Bleeding Cool has the details and a pretty neat trailer showing off a shiny new logo.
0:09 mark: That's a pilot. Hmm.

tyshaun1

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 03:41:00 PM »
0:09 mark: That's a pilot. Hmm.
That's from the one-off special from 1981 hosted by Mike Eruzione. Would love to see the Trebek pilot, however.

Tyshaun

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 04:55:28 PM »
Bumping this up as we draw nearer. The marathon awaits us on Monday at 2 Eastern. Would anyone here know the best way to try to record the livestream? I feel in some way like an opportunity at this for our collections probably won't happen again.

Meanwhile, tonight at 8, podcast time about Starcade. Come on by and watch if you have the time to leave us some comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUpqoaLxdrQ
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

snowpeck

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 06:13:40 PM »
Bumping this up as we draw nearer. The marathon awaits us on Monday at 2 Eastern. Would anyone here know the best way to try to record the livestream? I feel in some way like an opportunity at this for our collections probably won't happen again.

There are a few programs out there designed for recording Twitch streams. I plan on recording as much of it as I can, but I'll be out of town for the last couple days of it, so not sure if I'll be able to record those.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)