Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 50 Grand Slam question  (Read 2234 times)

whewfan

50 Grand Slam question
« on: December 23, 2016, 05:52:47 AM »
I noticed rewatching the show that both rotating cubes were isolation booths, but based on what I saw, only one of them was used. Did they ever use both? I guess they built two booths then later realized that they only needed to isolate one contestant and not both (which is what they did for The 64,000 Challenge).

calliaume

Re: 50 Grand Slam question
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 08:56:00 PM »
I just zipped through the premiere and finale.  It's been 40 years and I was 14 at the time, so my memories are hazy - but I can't see why they'd need a second booth.  Maybe it was just done to match.

Other notes:  this was another style-over-substance game (of course, at this point in NBC daytime they were throwing whatever they had against the wall to see what would stick).  I seem to also recall a bowling competition at some point, but it looks like they eventually ditched the "athletic" events.

mbclev

Re: 50 Grand Slam question
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 02:04:11 AM »
I noticed rewatching the show that both rotating cubes were isolation booths, but based on what I saw, only one of them was used. Did they ever use both? I guess they built two booths then later realized that they only needed to isolate one contestant and not both (which is what they did for The 64,000 Challenge).

They used both if the contestants competed at the $10,000 level or higher (but only in quizzes; I remember seeing bowling on "50 Grand Slam", so games would not have used isolation booths).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 01:07:23 AM by mbclev »