Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Woolery on "Wheel"?  (Read 3594 times)

byrd62

Woolery on "Wheel"?
« on: January 23, 2004, 07:22:56 AM »
It was reported that a couple of nights ago on WoF, one of the contestants told Pat during the interview portion that his father was a contestant on the show back in the 1970's, prompting Pat to respond, "That predates me...that was when Chuck Woolery was here."

During the closing host chat in that episode, Pat and Vanna issued a friendly invite to Chuck for a guest shot on WoF.

In Friday's issue of the New York Post, Pat says that the offer is still open.

http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/15604.htm

If Pat had his way, he's quoted as saying, Chuck would guest host the April Fool's Day episode, but doubts it would fly with the show's producers.  Pat also said that he'd like Chuck to do a "walk-on" if his name were the answer to a puzzle.

But wouldn't it have been fun?  Pat, Vanna and Alex Trebek playing WoF on April Fool's Day, with Chuck hosting and Susan turning--er, touching--the letters?

aaron sica

Woolery on "Wheel"?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2004, 07:28:01 AM »
[quote name=\'byrd62\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 07:22 AM\'] If Pat had his way, he's quoted as saying, Chuck would guest host the April Fool's Day episode, but doubts it would fly with the show's producers.  Pat also said that he'd like Chuck to do a "walk-on" if his name were the answer to a puzzle.

But wouldn't it have been fun?  Pat, Vanna and Alex Trebek playing WoF on April Fool's Day, with Chuck hosting and Susan turning--er, touching--the letters? [/quote]
 Boy, is my brain cranking on this one....

I could see either an April Fool's show like you mentioned, with Chuck hosting - the theme would be right back to "Big Wheels" again, and on the video wall behind them, a picture of the old backdrops.....All the music would be from the 1975-1983 package...

If Chuck were just the answer to a puzzle, and then a walk-on, perhaps the old "puzzle reveal" music when the contestant solved it and Chuck walked out...

Johnissoevil

Woolery on "Wheel"?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2004, 01:41:22 PM »
I've mentioned to a few that I know from here and ATGS in IM that it'd be cool if they did a "Classic Wheel Week" with Chuck guest hosting one episode.  We also joked that at the end of that episode, we can actually TRUTHFULLY say that Woolery's leaving Wheel. :-P
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

Don Howard

Woolery on "Wheel"?
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2004, 03:46:18 PM »
[quote name=\'byrd62\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 07:22 AM\'] But wouldn't it have been fun?  Pat, Vanna and Alex Trebek playing WoF on April Fool's Day, with Chuck hosting and Susan turning--er, touching--the letters? [/quote]
That'd be nice--speaking as a Classic Era fan anyhow.
Your lips to His ears.
Would Merv be in any position to veto this if Sony were to say, "Let it be so"?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 03:46:27 PM by Don Howard »

whewfan

Woolery on "Wheel"?
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2004, 04:21:55 PM »
Yeah, it might be nice to see Woolery doing Wheel again, even if it was for one show.... HOWEVER, there are some things to consider...

While the basic format of Wheel hasn't changed, there are many little changes that Chuck may not be used to. For example, when he did Wheel, there were no toss ups, shopping was still intact, Free Spins and prizes didn't require a correct call of a letter in the puzzle.

Merv really has nothing to do with WOF anymore, and I doubt he is still holding any grudges against Chuck, if he had any to begins with. Chuck has spoken very positively about Wheel in interviews, and mentioned he regrets leaving the show.

joe_capitano

Woolery on "Wheel"?
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2004, 05:23:47 PM »
[quote name=\'byrd62\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 04:22 AM\']But wouldn't it have been fun?  Pat, Vanna and Alex Trebek playing WoF on April Fool's Day, with Chuck hosting and Susan turning--er, touching--the letters?[/quote]
Perfect! As far as I'm concerned, Chuck and Susan were a team. I hope Pat recognizes that, and he should since he worked with Susan for a few months. They should both come back for at least one show either as celebrity players or in their original roles. A mere "walk-on" is not enough.

AND, since the show has been on the air continuously since 1975, WOF should properly acknowledge its true 30th Anniversary. The "20th Anniversary" thing last season was bogus to me.

Stevek83

Woolery on "Wheel"?
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2004, 05:34:34 PM »
Do you think Chuck regrets leaving because of the big hit Wheel has become or maybe he regretted it right after he left?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Woolery on "Wheel"?
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2004, 06:10:24 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 02:21 PM\'] While the basic format of Wheel hasn't changed, there are many little changes that Chuck may not be used to. For example, when he did Wheel, there were no toss ups, shopping was still intact, Free Spins and prizes didn't require a correct call of a letter in the puzzle. [/quote]
 I don't think you're giving Chuck a lot of credit as a professional here. The man's been in TV for many many years, and you have to think he's seen Wheel a time or two since his version went off the air. Maybe he couldn't walk in off the street and run through a taping dead cold, but you have to think with a run-through or two he'd be his old self again. Remember Peter Marshall taking the helm back on Squares?

And it's not exactly a taxing format.

(Hell, I don't remember there BEING on-Wheel prizes during the Woolery era, I remember that being a Sajak innovation.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Woolery on "Wheel"?
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2004, 06:12:41 PM »
[quote name=\'joe_capitano\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 03:23 PM\'] They should both come back for at least one show either as celebrity players or in their original roles. A mere "walk-on" is not enough. [/quote]
 Gggggh. So if he did a "mere walk-on", you'd be sitting there in front of your TV saying 'No. Unsatisfactory. Where's Elimidate?" and changing the channel?

Cowcookies. You'd be drooling over it, praying your VCR was running, or champing at the bit for someone to post a clip, just like every other WOF fanboi on the planet.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

beatlefreak84

Woolery on "Wheel"?
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2004, 10:32:18 PM »
Having never seen any Woolery-hosted WOF episode, I'd love to see Chuck come back and host an episode!

I think he would make a very good guest host for a day since I think he's still in his prime (just look at "Lingo!").  As far as the puzzle with walk-on thing, I'm surprised they haven't done something like that yet given the amount of celebrities they have on the show!

Would they celebrate the 30th anniversary of WOF next year?  I don't think so.  Technically, the daytime version of the show is dead, so why celebrate that?  The syndicated edition started off as a separate entity and clearly won out.  It would almost be like TPIR celebrating its 50th anniversary in a few years since Cullen's shows were on in the late '50s.  I don't think it's going to happen.

In short, yes, let's get Woolery back up there for a day!  There's one episode I would most definitely watch!  :)

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

FeudDude

Woolery on "Wheel"?
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2004, 10:38:25 PM »
That would be really great!  I don't really watch Wheel that much anymore, as I don't really like the direction the show has gone in, but a Woolery appearance would certainly make me tune in!   And I still am dying to see those 1997 April Fools episodes of Wheel and Jeopardy!

Don Howard

Woolery on "Wheel"?
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2004, 11:39:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Stevek83\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 05:34 PM\'] Do you think Chuck regrets leaving because of the big hit Wheel has become or maybe he regretted it right after he left? [/quote]
I'm thinking he started regretting it late in 1982 when the best gig he had to that point was as a featured player in a story arc of Romance Theater.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 11:40:01 PM by Don Howard »

Jay Temple

Woolery on "Wheel"?
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2004, 12:00:53 AM »
[quote name=\'joe_capitano\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 04:23 PM\'] AND, since the show has been on the air continuously since 1975, WOF should properly acknowledge its true 30th Anniversary. The "20th Anniversary" thing last season was bogus to me. [/quote]
 And still wrong!  It was their 20th season.  This year is their 20th anniversary.  Put it this way:  If you were born January 1, 1983, then right now you are in your 21st year, but you cannot yet buy liquor.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Don Howard

Woolery on "Wheel"?
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2004, 12:03:51 AM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 10:32 PM\'] It would almost be like TPIR celebrating its 50th anniversary in a few years since Cullen's shows were on in the late '50s.  I don't think it's going to happen.

[/quote]
 Not quite, my liege. There was a seven-year break between Cullen TPIR and Barker/James TPIR. WOF has been on continuously since Jan. '75.

Jay Temple

Woolery on "Wheel"?
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2004, 12:04:15 AM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 09:32 PM\'] Would they celebrate the 30th anniversary of WOF next year?  I don't think so.  Technically, the daytime version of the show is dead, so why celebrate that?  The syndicated edition started off as a separate entity and clearly won out.  It would almost be like TPIR celebrating its 50th anniversary in a few years since Cullen's shows were on in the late '50s. [/quote]
 Even though they've clearly decided to pretend that the daytime version didn't happen, your comparison to TPIR fails on one key point.  Cullen and Barker never had concurrent runs.  Pat Sajak's daytime and syndie Wheel did.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.