Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A Panel Christmas at GSN Returns  (Read 6469 times)

jjman920

• Mhoops.
A Panel Christmas at GSN Returns
« on: December 11, 2016, 09:37:22 AM »
I don't know where the PDFs are now, but according to GSN and Zap2It, What's My Line? and I've Got A Secret will be gracing the schedule once again during the holiday season at the traditional overnight slots of 3 and 3:30am. It looks to start the week of Christmas Eve, but no idea if it continues into the following week as the schedules only goes through Christmas.

Some of the listings give generic information or none at all, but most give out the special guests. Among the highlights, one of the WML? airings lists Claudette Colbert as the mystery guest. This could be the episode in which Groucho Marx wreaks havoc on the show (Claudette appeared on the show twice as a mystery guest). One of the other shows listed that week is was 11/15/64. That was the show the 2nd Groucho show which leads me to believe that the Claudette Colbert show listed this week is probably the first one.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: A Panel Christmas at GSN Returns
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 02:50:28 AM »
So this was odd: watching an episode of I've Got a Secret with Steve Allen as host, where the panelists are the same but they've changed clothes between segments. I wish I had remembered this earlier--I don't know how many days I missed, but the first IGAS I got featured Roy Castle and the tiny car. It's always a treat for me.
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 09:49:00 AM »
So this was odd: watching an episode of I've Got a Secret with Steve Allen as host, where the panelists are the same but they've changed clothes between segments.

I'm intrigued.  Was any explanation given?  Is it possible they were segments shot on different days?  Or even that GSN has got a screwy edit on their hands?  I have virtually all the Steve Allen episodes that have aired, as well as extensively researched details about their airing, and I would love to see where this fell into everything.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 12:05:58 PM »
Do you remember when the last show aired?  IIRC, they tacked on a farewell to a show which had not intended to be the last show.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 01:42:36 PM »
I'm intrigued.  Was any explanation given?  Is it possible they were segments shot on different days?  Or even that GSN has got a screwy edit on their hands?  I have virtually all the Steve Allen episodes that have aired, as well as extensively researched details about their airing, and I would love to see where this fell into everything.
I've no idea--I know that the episode started with a woman whose secret was that her voting precinct had no votes cast because the 850 inhabitants are all pigs, an eight-year-old who was editor of a national newspaper for kids, then Cass Elliott is on to demonstrate a new technology from Bell Labs where you can place a telephone call without pushing any buttons, and at some point the panel stayed the same but their clothes changed: Richard Dawson's sartorial difference was the most pronounced.
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 03:34:56 PM »
Richard Dawson's sartorial difference was the most pronounced.
Oh.  I was under the impression that GSN's late-night selections were exclusively the black and white era.  I don't know the syndicated show well enough to make any headway on this little mystery. 
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BillCullen1

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 11:23:37 AM »
Last night, or this morning (12/27), they aired a color WML and a B&W IGAS. WML had Mel Brooks as the MG and IGAS had Ann Southern as the celeb guest.

The Pyramids

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 08:14:44 PM »
Seeing Bennett Cerf was a highlight on 'WML?' I thought Henry Morgan was charming as the guest host on 'IGAS'.

BillCullen1

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 12:14:32 PM »
They paid tribute to Joe Garagiola and Hugh O'Brian by having each one on both WML and IGAS the same night. On the WML show with Joe on the panel, the MG was Mohammed Ali, who also left us this year.