Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Missed Hosting Opportunities  (Read 27543 times)

Sodboy13

Re: Missed Hosting Opportunities
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2016, 12:13:42 AM »
Rich Fields should have auditioned to host Wheel after Pat left. He was trying to break into the game show industry then.  He actually auditioned to host card sharks before losing out to a Bill Rafferty.

According to?

Jack Shell

Who is...?

An essential component of Mario Kart slashfic.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2016, 12:16:34 AM »
Nice work. Points.
Travis L. Eberle

Jamey Greek

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2016, 01:19:27 PM »

BrandonFG

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2016, 01:40:57 PM »
I'm not going to doubt the guy's validity, but that's a story from almost 13 years ago, and hasn't been documented outside of the sites I mentioned upthread. Forgive us for not recalling any of that.

BTW, you don't have to add so many replies back to back to back. The Modify button is your friend. ;)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2016, 02:23:12 PM »
At the very least, I doubt that Rich would make a good game show host--I bet he'd be a fantastic stereotype of one.
Travis L. Eberle

Jamey Greek

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2016, 04:17:57 PM »
I actually talked to Rich Fields on Facebook and he told me he actually was considered for it.  Out of his own mouth.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2016, 04:24:38 PM »
I actually talked to Rich Fields on Facebook and he told me he actually was considered for it.  Out of his own mouth.

We got it. No need to bump the thread for it.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2016, 04:53:07 PM »
If I also say that I was considered for a thing, does that make it factually correct now?
Travis L. Eberle

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2016, 01:24:28 AM »
Peter Tomarken for Whammy, and going further back...as much as I (and we all) love the banner face of our Forum,  Jim Peck should've been given The Joker's Wild IMHO.

tyshaun1

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2016, 08:58:33 AM »
Peter Tomarken for Whammy
After watching the pilot, I can see why Tomarken did not get this gig. The show clearly wanted the Whammy to be the main focus (hence the title), while Tomarken played him as merely an element and focused on the game.

Tyshaun

Nick

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2016, 09:05:36 AM »
The show clearly wanted the Whammy to be the main focus (hence the title), while Tomarken played him as merely an element and focused on the game.

Or they could have named the show Whammy because a lot of Joe Schmoes remembered it as "the game, ʻbig bucks, no Whammysʼ" and not by its title of Press Your Luck, and "The All-New Press Your Luck" alone wouldn't have been a very strong sell as a result.
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

Jamey Greek

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2017, 12:19:16 PM »
Michael Reagan and Jeff MacGregor for Daytime Wheel.  (After Pat left)

Pat Finn for Daytime Wheel.  (David Baber's book states that he actually auditioned along with Marc Summers, John Davidson, and Chuck Henry but Bob Goen got the job)

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2017, 12:42:41 PM »

I thought Jeff MacGregor had the chops to be a good game show host- he just needed the right vehicle.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Jamey Greek

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2017, 12:49:51 PM »

I thought Jeff MacGregor had the chops to be a good game show host- he just needed the right vehicle.

Exactly and Wheel could have been it.  Same goes with Pat Finn.

chrisholland03

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2017, 11:35:27 AM »

He definitely had the hair and teeth of a great host