Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Missed Hosting Opportunities  (Read 27551 times)

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Re: Missed Hosting Opportunities
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2016, 10:02:57 PM »
Impossible for obvious/unfortunate reasons, but I would have loved to see Peter Tomarken get a shot at an audition to replace Barker on The Price is Right. He was great at handling excitable contestants. I also feel like, to a lesser degree perhaps, he also had that internal clock that Barker had re: knowing when to speed things up or when to linger.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2016, 11:44:10 PM »
Maybe I'm biased because he's from Wisconsin, but I'd have to wonder how Jim Peck would've done with some shows. He, along with Geoff, Tomarken, and Rafferty, probably would go down as some of the most underrated (and underutilized) hosts of all...

TimK2003

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2016, 01:49:33 AM »
On the Family Feud bandwagon, I say Geoff Edwards.  His rapid-fire wit evidenced in other hosting gigs would have been an excellent fit for Feud.  Oh, what could have been.

Geoff would've been great on the CBS Card Sharks. He was funny and could play up excitement. Or he'd have been way better than Bob Hilton on the Orlando LMAD.

Geoff had some LMAD experience for sure as a fill-in for Monty, and to some extent some Card Shark experience when Play the Percentage was tinkering with percentage predictions in one of the first formats of the show.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2016, 06:54:16 AM »
This probably couldn't have happened due to the logistics of NATPE, but what if Jim Perry had been available for syndie Card Sharks?  IIRC, syndie $ale was still in production when syndie CS was being pitched with Bill R. as host.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Jamey Greek

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2016, 09:42:50 PM »
Impossible for obvious/unfortunate reasons, but I would have loved to see Peter Tomarken get a shot at an audition to replace Barker on The Price is Right. He was great at handling excitable contestants. I also feel like, to a lesser degree perhaps, he also had that internal clock that Barker had re: knowing when to speed things up or when to linger.

I would more or less would have loved to see Ray Combs take over and more or less Phil Hartman take over for Rich Fields on TPIR.  I think he mentioned in his biography that he was offered to take over for Johnny O in 1985 but turned them down.

Jamey Greek

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2016, 09:43:57 PM »
This probably couldn't have happened due to the logistics of NATPE, but what if Jim Perry had been available for syndie Card Sharks?  IIRC, syndie $ale was still in production when syndie CS was being pitched with Bill R. as host.

My sentiments exactly! He could have done both simultaneously!

Jamey Greek

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2016, 09:45:56 PM »
What if Jeff MacGregor auditioned to replace Pat on Daytime Wheel?  Or Mike Reagan?  Or David Sparks?  Or Larry Anderson?

I also think Bob Goen or Mark Goodman would have been great to audition for to replace Bob on TPiR

Jamey Greek

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2016, 10:19:47 PM »
I think Tim Brando should have hosted Monopoly.  He auditioned to host Wheel and ESPN was owned by ABC at the time. He would have done great.  Also Pat Finn could have been another to audition for Daytime Wheel after a Pat left.

whewfan

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2016, 06:06:53 PM »
As for Tom Kennedy and Super Password, yeah it could've worked, but I think Tom was doing double duty with Body Language and TPIR at that time.
My point is that Tom is a better fit for Super Password because he had already done it, and Bert Convy is less bad (note I didn't say "great") on Body Language because there's fewer chances for him to stuff things up. Also, Tom absolutely could have done Super Password and Nighttime Price is Right simultaneously. As it happens, I think Bill Rafferty would have been a better fit for Wordplay given his comedic leanings.

I can see Bill doing Wordplay... wasn't he on the panel at least once? At the same time, I wonder if they wanted a host that could play a "straightman" to three funny celebs? In this case, Bill wouldn't be a good fit. One thing I didn't like about Wordplay was that it was painfully obvious which celebs had help from a teleprompter to tell scripted jokes written by the writers, because you could tell from their eye movements and delivery. Also we had painful to watch moments like Corey Feldman's so called ability to do impressions, and Marsha Warfield's unfunny "letters" (which all led up to a segue to a letter announcing that Wordplay was cancelled), and the less that can be said about Jamie Farr's attempt to host, the better, but he was a fine panelist.

Jamey Greek

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2016, 06:41:55 AM »
Rich Fields should have auditioned to host Wheel after Pat left. He was trying to break into the game show industry then.  He actually auditioned to host card sharks before losing out to a Bill Rafferty.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2016, 08:42:55 AM »
Rich Fields should have auditioned to host Wheel after Pat left. He was trying to break into the game show industry then.  He actually auditioned to host card sharks before losing out to a Bill Rafferty.

According to?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2016, 09:02:42 AM »
I saw it mentioned on one of those game show Wiki pages and TV Tropes*, but I've never heard that rumor. I'm guessing he might've mentioned it on his Facebook or something.

*Respective grains of salt
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jamey Greek

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2016, 10:47:18 PM »

According to?

Jack Shell

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2016, 10:52:05 PM »

According to?

Jack Shell

Who is...?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2016, 11:28:57 PM »
Who is...?
C'mon, this ain't Jeopardy now.

;)
Travis L. Eberle