Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Missed Hosting Opportunities  (Read 27550 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Missed Hosting Opportunities
« on: December 08, 2016, 01:38:50 AM »
Have you ever watched a game show and thought "gee, (blank) would have been a perfect fit to host this"?

If so, what host would you have liked to have seen host a different show?
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: Missed Hosting Opportunities
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 01:48:36 AM »
Tom Kennedy on Super Password.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 01:55:27 AM »
They haven't done any games that I can recall*, but I've thought for years that Bob Costas or Keith Olbermann** would do well at Jeopardy! or Millionaire. The latter's prickly demeanor could be an issue, though.

/*Actually, didn't Costas guest host Millionaire?
//**With Dan doing Sports J!, you could have a bit of a "Big Show" reunion
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 12:04:05 PM »
Have you ever watched a game show and thought "gee, (blank) would have been a perfect fit to host this"?

If so, what host would you have liked to have seen host a different show?

Back in 76. I thought that it would be better if Jim Peck had hosted FF and Richard Dawson hosted Hot Seat.  Mainly because I wanted Jim to have the better show, but Richard probably would have been able to handle the interviews on HS in a jaunty, fun way.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BillCullen1

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 12:22:14 PM »
I thought Bill Rafferty would have been a better fit for Family Feud than Ray Combs, though Combs did a good job.

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 12:47:17 PM »
I thought Bill Rafferty would have been a better fit for Family Feud than Ray Combs, though Combs did a good job.
Being that Ray Combs' Feud made up a large portion of my childhood, I had to think about this one. But, having seen Rafferty's other game shows-Every Second Counts more than anything-I could see this. I think both have a similar sense of humor.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 12:52:22 PM »
Given from what I've read that Ray wanted it to be Ray Combs featuring Family Feud, it's an interesting idea where Bill is willing to let the game do what it does.

Trivial Pursuit: America Plays wouldn't have won any Emmys with Mark L. Walberg at the helm, but he brings talent to everything he does, and I wanted to see more than just the few minutes of the pilot we got.
Travis L. Eberle

Nick

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 06:56:06 PM »
On the Family Feud bandwagon, I say Geoff Edwards.  His rapid-fire wit evidenced in other hosting gigs would have been an excellent fit for Feud.  Oh, what could have been.
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

Sodboy13

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 11:24:31 PM »
Mike Adamle on the American Gladiators reboot. He was working for an NBC O&O the whole dang time.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 01:09:10 AM »
Mike Adamle on the American Gladiators reboot. He was working for an NBC O&O the whole dang time.

Vince McMahon might have had a problem with that.

Maybe not early on but certainly later when he was an active participant in storylines.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 05:09:19 AM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

whewfan

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 06:27:00 AM »
On the Family Feud bandwagon, I say Geoff Edwards.  His rapid-fire wit evidenced in other hosting gigs would have been an excellent fit for Feud.  Oh, what could have been.

Actually Geoff was considered, but Treasure Hunt prevented Geoff from doing anything else. As for Tom Kennedy and Super Password, yeah it could've worked, but I think Tom was doing double duty with Body Language and TPIR at that time. Bert was a great host, but I think towards the end, Bert was spending too much time goofing off with the celebs, but then again they only wanted one bonus game per show, so time had to be filled somehow.

I don't know why Bill Rafferty didn't get more game shows under his belt. Every Second Counts was without a doubt his best show. Was he doing Card Sharks and Blockbusters at the time when Ray was doing Feud?

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 08:32:56 AM »

Actually Geoff was considered, but Treasure Hunt prevented Geoff from doing anything else.

I don't think TH had anything to do with that.....pulled this from Adam Nedeff's page:

Quote from: Geoff Edwards, via Game Show Utopia

I had a call to come in and do an audition for "Family Feud." They offered me the pilot at that time. But I already had a deal pending with Bob Stewart (to do the pilot that became "Shoot for the Stars"). And I said "no" to them. What I got nervous about was that Regis Philbin had just done a show called "The Neighbors" that was not very good. I never saw it, but when somebody described it to me, it sounded like what they wanted to do with "Family Feud." So I said no.

BrandonFG

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 12:25:34 PM »
Was he doing Card Sharks and Blockbusters at the time when Ray was doing Feud?
No...Feud came along in the summer of 1988. Blockbusters and nighttime Card Sharks were canceled in spring and fall '87, respectively.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 02:50:07 PM »
As for Tom Kennedy and Super Password, yeah it could've worked, but I think Tom was doing double duty with Body Language and TPIR at that time.
My point is that Tom is a better fit for Super Password because he had already done it, and Bert Convy is less bad (note I didn't say "great") on Body Language because there's fewer chances for him to stuff things up. Also, Tom absolutely could have done Super Password and Nighttime Price is Right simultaneously. As it happens, I think Bill Rafferty would have been a better fit for Wordplay given his comedic leanings.
Travis L. Eberle

Neumms

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2016, 07:12:32 PM »

Geoff would've been great on the CBS Card Sharks. He was funny and could play up excitement. Or he'd have been way better than Bob Hilton on the Orlando LMAD.