Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PYL question...  (Read 6015 times)

tyshaun1

PYL question...
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2004, 01:33:42 PM »
[quote name=\'passwordplus\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 12:06 PM\'] Not to veer the topic of the post, but when will the episodes with our own Randy West air? Which month of '85 shows was he on? [/quote]
 Randy's episodes were during the first 2 weeks of the show. IIRC, he was the first contestant to retire due to winnings. GSN currently does not have those episodes in their possession, and they have not aired since their original run in 1983.

Tyshaun

Steve_Bier

PYL question...
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2004, 03:33:40 PM »
You know, I never DID stop to think that there would have been an intellegent reason to take the whammy---but now I see that there is! Thanks!!! :)

zachhoran

PYL question...
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2004, 07:44:01 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 10:50 AM\']
The highest wins that I've seen were a $33,410 win on May 18, 1984 (just 3 weeks before Larson), and a $33,380 win around Feb.-March 1986 (player took 8 spins in a row with 3 whammies). I've heard rumors of a $35,000 win, but that has yet to be corroborated (however, there are still eps. of PYL that haven't aired since its original run).

[/quote]
 Those two $33K wins are the highest one-day non-Larson wins I can recall, but there here was a $35,000 loss to a Whammy late in the run(June 1986 IIRC). The contestant hit Double your $$ with $17,500, and then Whammied. That was I believe the greatest loss to a WHammy

beatlefreak84

PYL question...
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2004, 07:54:15 PM »
I've noticed a lot of discussion about taking the "Whammy" during specific occurrences during the game.  Very enlightening!

Honestly, though, even if that was the right strategy to do at the right time, could you imagine anybody EVER taking a "Whammy?"  With a crowd screaming to pick money or a prize, the pressure might convince the contestant to take the safe way out.  Plus, I think, if this were to ever happen, there may have been a safeguard in place to prevent the player from doing that (much like the safeguard to prevent a player on TPIR from taking 2 spins during the SS after the first two have gone over); does anybody know if there was?

I do remember, however, a contestant who really WANTED to hit a whammy because he didn't have much money and a load of passed spins.  He hit money for the first three spins and had a disgruntled look on his face every time, and was the only contestant to genuinely express joy when hitting his whammy after his fourth passed spin.  I can't remember if he won the game or not (I do know he passed all of his spins after that point), but I remember it was on one of the episodes GSN showed from mid-84 (His name was Dave, IIRC).  Does anybody remember if he won via his "strategy" or not?

One interesting question, though:  Could you imagine Peter's reaction if somebody selected the "Whammy" on a "Pick a Corner" space?  I'm sure he'd ask twice to make sure that it was what the contestant wanted to do, but I'm sure his reaction would be priceless!  :)

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

Kevin Prather

PYL question...
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2004, 09:04:47 PM »
No, I think maybe at first he'd be caught off-guard, but once he goes into his "those passed spins are going over to the earned colomn" spiel, he'll realize the strategy behind it.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
PYL question...
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2004, 02:40:55 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 07:04 PM\'] No, I think maybe at first he'd be caught off-guard, but once he goes into his "those passed spins are going over to the earned colomn" spiel, he'll realize the strategy behind it. [/quote]
 I have to agree. In fact I would bet that the staffers probably entertained this possibility long before any of us did, and he would most likely point out the strategic move and a comment like "Will it pay off? We'll have to see...."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

gameshowguy2000

PYL question...
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2004, 11:47:29 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 06:44 PM\'] [quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 10:50 AM\']
The highest wins that I've seen were a $33,410 win on May 18, 1984 (just 3 weeks before Larson), and a $33,380 win around Feb.-March 1986 (player took 8 spins in a row with 3 whammies). I've heard rumors of a $35,000 win, but that has yet to be corroborated (however, there are still eps. of PYL that haven't aired since its original run).

[/quote]
Those two $33K wins are the highest one-day non-Larson wins I can recall, but there here was a $35,000 loss to a Whammy late in the run(June 1986 IIRC). The contestant hit Double your $$ with $17,500, and then Whammied. That was I believe the greatest loss to a WHammy [/quote]
 So, would that make Cathy's $31,408 loss (And many PYL fans have nightmares about that fateful day, including me!) the second biggest loss in PYL history?

zachhoran

PYL question...
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2004, 08:24:06 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 25 2004, 11:47 PM\']
Those two $33K wins are the highest one-day non-Larson wins I can recall, but there here was a $35,000 loss to a Whammy late in the run(June 1986 IIRC). The contestant hit Double your $$ with $17,500, and then Whammied. That was I believe the greatest loss to a WHammy [/QUOTE]
So, would that make Cathy's $31,408 loss (And many PYL fans have nightmares about that fateful day, including me!) the second biggest loss in PYL history? [/quote]
 IIRC Cathy's loss is in second place. I believe Robert's $30,518 loss on the last spin of the game in a 1986 episode would be third(that loss also caused the greatest fall in PYL history, as Peter fell to the ground in shock)

Ian Wallis

PYL question...
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2004, 08:59:49 AM »
However, if you're asking for the largest consecutive number of Whammyless spins, and you were willing to slap an asterisk on it to indicate it spanned episodes, I'd have to think those 28 would be part of the streak, in addition to whatever final spins on the previous episode and first spins on the next one were also Whammy-free.

That happened on the Dec 19, 1983 broadcast.  There was one other show without a whammy that GSN has run.

The streak in 1983 actually got to over 40 spins - the entire first round of the next show didn't have any whammies either.  Peter even mentioned at the beginning of the second round "we have spun over 40 times this week without hitting a whammy".  That show hasn't been seen since it was run on USA in 1993.  A whammy was hit in the second round of that show.

I can just imagine what the control booth was thinking going whammy-less for so long - "someone please hit a whammy - we've got these new Christmas whammies we want to run this week and we can't run them..."!!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!