Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PYL question...  (Read 6013 times)

aaron sica

PYL question...
« on: January 22, 2004, 08:34:39 PM »
A friend who likes game shows asked me a question, and I didn't have an answer..But I know *someone* here will..Quoting my friend now:

Has there EVER EVER EVER in the history of the game....been this situation..............a contestant lands on a square that says "advance two spaces" or "advance three spaces" or "across the board" (something like that), and then after advancing the spaces have the square land on a whammy.  Has that ever happened on the board?

whampyl03

PYL question...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2004, 08:43:36 PM »
Has there EVER EVER EVER in the history of the game....been this situation..............a contestant lands on a square that says "advance two spaces" or "advance three spaces" or "across the board" (something like that), and then after advancing the spaces have the square land on a whammy. Has that ever happened on the board?

In the early days of the Pick-A-Corner space, the top left space at times had a Whammy, but I believe this was fixed around 1985-ish.

As for the others you have mentioned, Accross the board lead to the $500+, $750+, and $1,000+ space, and only that space.

Go Back 2 spaces lead to the Big Bucks space ($3000+, $4,000+, & $5,000+)

Advance 3 spaces never existed in the original version of PYL.

And I can't pull off the top of my head what Advance 2 spaces lead to, but I'm sure that of the 3 slides in that box, none were a Whammy.

zachhoran

PYL question...
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004, 08:45:09 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jan 22 2004, 08:34 PM\']

Has there EVER EVER EVER in the history of the game....been this situation..............a contestant lands on a square that says "advance two spaces" or "advance three spaces" or "across the board" (something like that), and then after advancing the spaces have the square land on a whammy.  Has that ever happened on the board? [/quote]
 There never was an "Advance three spaces" square on the board, only "Advance(Go Back) two spaces". None of those directional squares ever led the player to a WHammy, though the top corner square was a Whammy, and continued to be for the first nine months or so of Pick-a-Corner's appearance in round two.

zachhoran

PYL question...
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2004, 08:47:30 PM »
[quote name=\'whampyl03\' date=\'Jan 22 2004, 08:43 PM\']

And I can't pull off the top of my head what Advance 2 spaces lead to, but I'm sure that of the 3 slides in that box, none were a Whammy. [/quote]
 round one it would be $500 or $750 or a prize, and in round two it would either be cash($1500 or $2000 most commonly I believe), or a prize.

Steve_Bier

PYL question...
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2004, 09:39:13 PM »
I'd love to know what they would have done if someone was stupid enough to pick the whammy in "Pick-A-Corner"......

zachhoran

PYL question...
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2004, 09:46:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve_Bier\' date=\'Jan 22 2004, 09:39 PM\'] I'd love to know what they would have done if someone was stupid enough to pick the whammy in "Pick-A-Corner"...... [/quote]
 They'd have showed a five or ten second Savage Steve Holland animated short, the player's score would have been reduced to zero, and maybe the board would have been altered to avoid the Whammy choice on Pick-a-Corner sooner than it was.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
PYL question...
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2004, 10:54:25 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 22 2004, 07:46 PM\'] [quote name=\'Steve_Bier\' date=\'Jan 22 2004, 09:39 PM\'] I'd love to know what they would have done if someone was stupid enough to pick the whammy in "Pick-A-Corner"...... [/quote]
They'd have showed a five or ten second Savage Steve Holland animated short, the player's score would have been reduced to zero, and maybe the board would have been altered to avoid the Whammy choice on Pick-a-Corner sooner than it was. [/quote]
 Except, as we've gone over here more than once, there are some game situations where selecting that Whammy could be argued as 100% the correct strategic decision, such as when you are passed a boatload of spins (enough where the probability is that you will Whammy on one of them) and you land on it right away. Could be wiser to take the Whammy now and then convert those Passed spins to Earned...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

calliaume

PYL question...
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2004, 11:25:26 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 22 2004, 10:54 PM\'] Except, as we've gone over here more than once, there are some game situations where selecting that Whammy could be argued as 100% the correct strategic decision, such as when you are passed a boatload of spins (enough where the probability is that you will Whammy on one of them) and you land on it right away. Could be wiser to take the Whammy now and then convert those Passed spins to Earned... [/quote]
 Good example.  Picture this scenario:

PLAYER A -- $1500, three whammies, no spins (one passed to you)
PLAYER B -- $4500, two whammies, no spins (four passed to you)
PLAYER C -- $2000, no whammies, six spins earned, five spins passed

Heck, I'd take a Whammy, move the four passed to the earned column, and get ready to pass them all back to Player C the minute I pass him by (likely in two spins).  Going seven or eight spins without a Whammy has been done, but it's very unlikely.

Robert Hutchinson

PYL question...
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2004, 01:32:55 AM »
I'm very tempted to point out that, strategy aside, none of that is an exception to Zach's description of what would occur. Just for the bizarro effect, you understand.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

clemon79

PYL question...
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2004, 02:15:27 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Jan 22 2004, 11:32 PM\'] I'm very tempted to point out that, strategy aside, none of that is an exception to Zach's description of what would occur. Just for the bizarro effect, you understand. [/quote]
 You're correct, my "except" was more directed at Steve's preassumption that selecting the whammy intentionally in that situation was automatically stupid.

Everything Zach described would in fact happen, with the possible exception of the board being altered sooner.

zachhoran

PYL question...
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2004, 08:21:06 AM »
Other than Larsen, what was the greatest number of consecutive spins someone went without hitting a Whammy?

Ian Wallis

PYL question...
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2004, 09:28:12 AM »
Other than Larsen, what was the greatest number of consecutive spins someone went without hitting a Whammy?

Don't know for sure...but there was at least one time where a contestant was passed 11 spins - and didn't whammy on any of them.

There were also many times where a contestant went through the whole game without hitting a whammy, so you'd have to add their round one and two spins together to get the total.  In a few cases there weren't many spins for the whole game, but many times the players would earn 6 or 8 spins each round.  Some players won over $30,000 in one day without a whammy.  Next to Larson, I think the highest one-day total was in the $30,000 range - I can't ever remember a higher total than that.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

tyshaun1

PYL question...
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2004, 10:50:27 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 09:28 AM\']

Don't know for sure...but there was at least one time where a contestant was passed 11 spins - and didn't whammy on any of them.

There were also many times where a contestant went through the whole game without hitting a whammy, so you'd have to add their round one and two spins together to get the total.  In a few cases there weren't many spins for the whole game, but many times the players would earn 6 or 8 spins each round.  Some players won over $30,000 in one day without a whammy.  Next to Larson, I think the highest one-day total was in the $30,000 range - I can't ever remember a higher total than that. [/quote]
 The highest wins that I've seen were a $33,410 win on May 18, 1984 (just 3 weeks before Larson), and a $33,380 win around Feb.-March 1986 (player took 8 spins in a row with 3 whammies). I've heard rumors of a $35,000 win, but that has yet to be corroborated (however, there are still eps. of PYL that haven't aired since its original run).

Tyshaun

clemon79

PYL question...
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2004, 11:43:32 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 06:21 AM\'] Other than Larsen, what was the greatest number of consecutive spins someone went without hitting a Whammy? [/quote]
 I remember one episode where the three players hit no Whammies whatsoever. I remember this very distincty because Tomarken went out of his way to make a note of it during the post-mortem, pointing out that the players went "twenty-eight spins without a Whammy."

So, yeah, if you're talking about one single player, it may or may not be there, because, like Tyshawn said, there are numerous occurances of individual players playing whole games without seeing a Whammy. However, if you're asking for the largest consecutive number of Whammyless spins, and you were willing to slap an asterisk on it to indicate it spanned episodes, I'd have to think those 28 would be part of the streak, in addition to whatever final spins on the previous episode and first spins on the next one were also Whammy-free.

passwordplus

PYL question...
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2004, 12:06:31 PM »
Not to veer the topic of the post, but when will the episodes with our own Randy West air? Which month of '85 shows was he on?