Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Celebrity Name Game canceled  (Read 11833 times)

BrandonFG

Celebrity Name Game canceled
« on: December 02, 2016, 11:56:46 AM »
http://deadline.com/2016/12/celebrity-name-game-canceled-craig-ferguson-host-3-seasons-1201863333/

According to Deadline, the show scored decent ratings, but not enough to justify another season. Has anyone heard of any proposed new shows for fall '17? I know NATPE is around the corner.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: Celebrity Name Game canceled
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 02:25:39 PM »
Dang. It had some things I didn't like and it wasn't much game content for a half hour, but there were lots of laughs to be had and the parts I liked I really liked.
Travis L. Eberle

colonial

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 03:10:13 PM »
http://deadline.com/2016/12/celebrity-name-game-canceled-craig-ferguson-host-3-seasons-1201863333/

According to Deadline, the show scored decent ratings, but not enough to justify another season. Has anyone heard of any proposed new shows for fall '17? I know NATPE is around the corner.

A little over a year after it was announced, it appears Byron Allen's revival of the short-lived Lloyd Thaxton game "Funny You Should Ask" will likely hit TVs this fall, with Jon Kelley (who replaced Anderson Cooper as "The Mole" host) as emcee ...

http://deadline.com/2016/11/funny-you-should-ask-about-new-game-show-from-bryon-allens-entertainment-studios-1201669197/

Also, Tribune has announced a revival of the long-running kids/family variety show "Wonderama". IIRC, the original version featured game elements, but it's unclear if the revival will do the same. David Osmond (nephew of Donny and Marie) tapped to host ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/marcberman2/familyfriendly-destinatio_b_13328474.html

The CNG cancellation was a bit of a surprise to me, given the ratings were fair (there are several syndie shows with worse ratings than CNG). Have to wonder if Fremantle and Debmar/Mercury are planning to launch something else for the fall.

JD

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 07:49:18 PM »
A syndie talk show for Ferguson?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TimK2003

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 12:23:26 AM »
Surprised that the announcement came so early in the 2016-17 season, but then again, they were airing Season 3 episodes as early as this summer.

Granted the show was relying a lot on crude humor (even more than Feud), and some of what Craig was doing was getting old (i.e. I will be the cluegiver [thunder & lightning fx]), I will say CNG did help to revive the "celebrity game show" genre by being a show that developed some good celebrity game players that are now familiar faces on the other prime time game shows. 

I wish Craig the best in his future endeavors and hope that the brief success of his show, and the ratings strengths of the other recent prime time shows, will continue to add more game shows to the daytime & nighttime schedules.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 01:10:30 AM »
Granted the show was relying a lot on crude humor (even more than Feud), and some of what Craig was doing was getting old (i.e. I will be the cluegiver [thunder & lightning fx]),
After seeing it once, I blip through a lot of that stuff.

I wish Craig the best in his future endeavors
Did he sign with WWE already?
Travis L. Eberle

johnnya2k3

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 01:32:06 AM »
A syndie talk show for Ferguson?
Or maybe...hosting the 2017 Oscars?!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 01:52:00 AM »
Or maybe...hosting the 2017 Oscars?!

Shouldn't you be preparing for your press conference to announce your Entertainer Of The Year?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 02:18:02 AM »
It'll be Cedric.
Travis L. Eberle

Ian Wallis

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2016, 12:01:51 PM »
Anyone think this will end up on GSN soon?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2016, 12:13:19 PM »
I was thinking Buzzr for reruns since it's Fremantle. However, Jennifer Mullin's comment about it being "a format [they] believe in" makes me think they're looking at GSN. Dunno whether they'll get the B+ list names they had in syndication though.

The show aired here when I was at work, so I didn't catch it too often. I thought it was a fun show, in spite of its flaws, so hopefully it won't stay off the air long. I wonder whether Fremantle's disappointment with the ratings is due to Feud being so hot in recent years, so CNG looks like a failure in comparison?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2016, 03:59:33 PM »
I was thinking Buzzr for reruns since it's Fremantle. However, Jennifer Mullin's comment about it being "a format [they] believe in" makes me think they're looking at GSN. Dunno whether they'll get the B+ list names they had in syndication though.

The show aired here when I was at work, so I didn't catch it too often. I thought it was a fun show, in spite of its flaws, so hopefully it won't stay off the air long. I wonder whether Fremantle's disappointment with the ratings is due to Feud being so hot in recent years, so CNG looks like a failure in comparison?

It's already on Pop (The former TV Guide Channel).
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Sodboy13

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 07:56:26 AM »
Tough break for WGN, who will now have to find a new keystone to fill the gap in the lineup between their 4am-10am Morning News and their 11am-1pm Midday News.

(it'll be news)
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

BillCullen1

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 10:13:14 AM »
The show is enjoyable but clearly some of the contestants were not the sharpest knife in the drawer. On at least three occasions, a contestant described Ben Franklin as "a U.S. President." Ugh.

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 04:32:25 PM »
On at least three occasions, a contestant described Ben Franklin as "a U.S. President." Ugh.
That's mild considering the people I've seen on the show. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if more people thought he was a president*, not just contestants. I also wouldn't be surprised if someone made a similar blunder on Pyramid.

*/All that about people not being that good about history from that long ago and such