Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CW to premiere "Save to Win"  (Read 14319 times)

BrandonFG

Re: CW to premiere "Save to Win"
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2016, 12:06:10 PM »
I like the idea of making it a variant of Pick-A-Pair. Maybe give the team six chances*; match one pair and you win $1,000, two for $2,000, three for the grand prize. It's not a perfect fix, but at least you get a little more meat and potatoes.

*An extra pick for every point over 15 from the main game?

I do like that a game show in 2016 offers parting gifts...even if it is essentially a gift card to (wait for it) Family Dollar. And honestly, I wouldn't scoff at that...FD and Dollar General come in handy when I don't feel like dealing with the crowds at Walmart, or the temptation of overspending at Targé.

/In other words, any time I need to go to the store
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2016, 02:48:11 PM »
"Here are twenty items.  Each has a random prize amount assigned, ranging from five hundred to a thousand dollars.  Two of them are five hundred.  Two of them are a thousand dollars.  And every one in between also has a match.  You each will have to pick a item [sic].  We'll add the two of them together to see how much money you've actually won.  But if those two match, guys, you win five thousand dollars."
Thank you for the edification. So it's not totally impossible, it's like winning the car or $10,000 if your first choice is the win card, but it's still stupid and doesn't really tie into "Save to Win."
Travis L. Eberle

David Levy

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2016, 05:42:09 PM »
An extra pick for every point over 15 from the main game?

Under the current format, it's possible to win the main game after missing an earlier opportunity that would have yielded a lower score.  So that isn't a reliable indicator of how well a team played.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2016, 05:49:11 PM »
Under the current format, it's possible to win the main game after missing an earlier opportunity that would have yielded a lower score.  So that isn't a reliable indicator of how well a team played.
And "how well the team played" can rely 20% on guessing food items by taste, feel or smell, or guessing whether some gal said "Wet Dog" or "Feet."
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2016, 06:04:05 PM »
Forgot all about that, as we saw in the first episode.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2016, 07:08:11 PM »
but it's still stupid and doesn't really tie into "Save to Win."
I've just generally assumed that no one has the lawyers to try their hand a game that involves general pricing knowledge, so I'm guessing the title was an attempt at wordplay on "Play To Win." Like everything else, thought about but not thought through.
This signature is currently under construction.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2016, 07:24:25 PM »
I've just generally assumed that no one has the lawyers to try their hand a game that involves general pricing knowledge, so I'm guessing the title was an attempt at wordplay on "Play To Win." Like everything else, thought about but not thought through.
I'm not expecting brilliance or TPIR, but I'd like it to not insult my intelligence.

Keeping in mind that I'm just a rodeo clown tyro:

Start the game with a Challengers Sprint, where each question adds money to the team's bank. The teams must protect their bank or lose the game ("thus they must Save to Win.") Play whatever second round game they want to do, but failure means that the team has to "buy" that relevant item with funds from their bankroll. The game concludes with a round where the team in control picks a product from the counter and a question is asked about it. "In what play does Stanley Kowalski shout 'Stella!' at the top of his lungs?" New products fill the gaps as needed and whichever team is able to hang on to their money wins the game and gets to go shopping. No pricing of grocery items because we can't have that.
Travis L. Eberle

Fedya

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2016, 08:25:14 PM »
I'm with Mr. Spooner: Wave to Sin sounds like a more interesting game show than this.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

alfonzos

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2016, 07:38:34 PM »
Yesterday I watched two episodes of this with my friends at Home Game Enterprises. True, the show was pretty amateurish but the show kept our attention. My friends were involved and were yelling answers at the contestants so the producers must be doing something right. However, I don't need to watch the show ever again and I won't be looking for a home game.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

chad1m

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2016, 07:45:21 PM »
The show kept our attention.
My friends were involved and were yelling answers at the contestants so the producers must be doing something right.

I don't need to watch the show ever again.