Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Fans 50 Greatest - Results  (Read 107001 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Re: Game Show Fans 50 Greatest - Results
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2016, 02:25:14 AM »
Heaven forbid there be a system to get rid of unlikable, cantankerous personalities.

Now THIS, folks. THIS is actually irony.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2016, 02:56:32 AM »
I think if we just left the first syndicated season alone and unfucked with, I might've been more inclined to rank Weakest Link higher than I did (I don't remember where it was the first time but I had it in my bottom six this time). The network edition was just a slog and didn't work as the full hour, and I felt the syndicated version had a better flow to it.

That said, the second season just did so much wrong by eliminating that last round. Okay, I get it. They wanted to increase the top prize to six figures. That's all well and good.

But by cutting out that last round, now the game just came to an abrupt stop. I built up the interest over four rounds and now everything just ends? And the strongest player is probably gonna get the boot on top of that because the other two are insecure?

And don't get me started on the change in demeanor George exhibited during much of that season. "Yeah, I'm back, and so are we, but Meredith Vieira is in most of my timeslots from last season and the ratings are in the toilet, so let me see how long it is before people notice I'm phoning it in and just waiting for the pink slip."

/okay, maybe that's exaggerating a tick
//still, though, it didn't feel right
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2016, 03:03:05 AM »
That said, the second season just did so much wrong by eliminating that last round. Okay, I get it. They wanted to increase the top prize to six figures. That's all well and good.

My recollection was that they cut out a round to get more banter/jokes in.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

PYLdude

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2016, 03:05:07 AM »

My recollection was that they cut out a round to get more banter/jokes in.

-Jason

It still wasn't a smart move any way you cut it...and was there really an increase in the conversations? I really didn't notice a difference.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2016, 03:19:08 AM »
There was a lot more time spent between rounds, yes. What's astonishing is that teams would bank before reaching the $25,000 level. What's the point?
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2016, 04:45:58 AM »
There was a lot more time spent between rounds, yes. What's astonishing is that teams would bank before reaching the $25,000 level. What's the point?

And herein, I think, lies the overall problem with the Weakest Link format.

Because instead of focusing on your target like you should be, now you're in a position you never should be in...do I have enough confidence in my own abilities to answer the next random ass question they came up with and keep us on target or do I try to save face and get us something out of the exercise, hopefully scoring brownie points with the rest of team and make them more inclined to keep me around even though none of us have any idea what direction the game is going to take?

That might have been the whole point of putting the wrinkle into the game in the first place but all it accomplished was to show some people are bigger wusses than others. Which I doubt they were going for.

ETA: actually, now that I think about it, maybe they were going for that after all...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 06:58:35 AM by PYLdude »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2016, 08:31:10 AM »
Heaven forbid there be a system to get rid of unlikable, cantankerous personalities. 
Why would you want to get rid of them? Who else would you root for?
I specifically remember a fireman's episode with a guy that was a complete prick the entire time he was on the stage.  And for you to think "I'm looking down on people" is something I thought would never happen when defending Weakest Link's voting rules.

--Mark
Phil 4:13

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2016, 01:22:05 PM »
45. Russian Roulette
352 points; 17 votes
2006 ranking: 54

Scott: I would have predicted that if anything, this show would have dropped further down the list now that it's been over ten years since it's aired. I won't deny that it's one of the better GSN originals, although I personally never liked how often the outcome was decided by the time's up signal. Maybe Who's Still Standing? has made our memories of this show even fonder?

Jason: That makes sense. I never thought I'd have to say "Russian Roulette was the best 'fall through the floor' game show." I think another point in its favor was showing the game show audience Mark Walberg's talents outside of Shop 'Til You Drop & USA Network.

44. The $64,000/$128,000 Question
359 points; 14 votes
2006 ranking: 33

Jason: We talked about scandal-era shows already, but this show's repeated inclusion & outranking over Twenty One surprises me personally. I've watched episodes from both American versions, as well as the British one. I get the same effect of watching sports game shows as a non-sports fan: I can't play along with the material. Other shows that did "specialized subjects" for players kept it confined enough to work for me. By the time it became Alex Trebek's show, they took away a lot of the pageantry that made it unique.

Scott: I know I've had my opportunity to talk about not including the rigged shows on my ballot, but I just want to say: Does Lance Armstrong deserve to be on a list of the 50 greatest cyclists of all time?

43. You Bet Your Life
383 points; 18 votes
2006 ranking: 36

Jason: I'm sure these points are for "the one, the only, GROUCHO!!" I expect a heated debate on whether we like the couples betting on each question, or picking cards from George's tray.

Scott: Nail on the head. As a percentage of ballots cast, You Bet Your Life received fewer votes this time around (37.5% versus 48.75%), but it still received enough to stay in the top fifty. For lack of any other observations, I'll note that two of its more game show-y elements did have some residual lasting impact on pop culture in the ensuing years: "Who's buried in Grant's Tomb?" and the duck with the secret word.

T41. Deal or No Deal
417 points; 23 votes
2006 ranking: 44

Scott: So much for me wondering what would happen to this show. Apparently it would actually move up two or three places.

Jason: On this board, the network run got a lot of criticism for all the stunts, but I know the game itself still has its fans, especially with the versions in other countries. For the math-minded among us, there's lots to take in on Deal or No Deal. If your game show enjoyment comes from schadenfreude, the American version was a veritable buffet. In talking over the list candidates before the vote, one fan suggested to me that Deal or No Deal takes the hit for all the copied production style & formats that came in its wake, which seems plausible to me. Had they brought back Yahtzee in 2006, each team would have their family on stage to talk about why they chose to freeze fours over fives.

T41. Jackpot
417 points; 23 votes
2006 ranking: 30

Jason: It's a real shame there's not more of the original NBC run to watch. I don't know how you think to assemble 15 people, each holding a wallet that contains a riddle, hoping to match like digits in an accumulating pot so you can go for gobs & gobs of money, but Bob Stewart did.

Scott: The 11-place ranking drop is interesting. I wonder whether this is a show that suffered from video being more readily available. I know that in my case, in 2006, I placed this show on my ballot mostly out of an obligatory sense of, "I remember this show from my youth, and no one ever really says anything disparaging about it, so it was probably pretty good." This year, I watched the show again, and, well... like you said, it certainly was unique.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 06:02:37 PM by MSTieScott »

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2016, 03:25:19 PM »
Are you overthinking the drop of Tattletales and Jackpot.  So far they had the largest drop in voters -27 and -28.  The average ranking for those that voted for jackpot was the same 33.

It appears that people that did not vote this time favored mid 70s shows last time.   

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2016, 04:16:44 PM »
Are Tattletales and Newlywed Game considered different shows?  I know they share the same format.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

gamed121683

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2016, 04:23:22 PM »
Just curious, how many shows will you be counting down at a time? It's 5 a day, correct?

calliaume

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2016, 04:25:16 PM »
Actually, if I had to put forward a theory: In 2006, as the poll was beginning, there was discussion and debate about which titles would and wouldn't be considered the same show. Matt mentioned that he would be combining Tattletales and He Said, She Said -- which makes sense to mention, since what Tattletales is best known for bears little relation to its predecessor -- but I'm wondering if that clarification put the show in people's minds and led to them placing it on their ballots.

That makes a lot of sense -- and makes me feel a little sheepish for potentially skewing the results like that.  Still, I'm glad it's on the list.  It's a personal favorite, and even though it's so much a product of its era, I'd still like somebody to take a shot at reviving it.
I guess I should have voted on this, huh?

I would throw a suggestion out:  most of the Tattletales episodes I saw on Buzzr were from the first few months of the run, with lockout buzzer questions rather than all Tattletales Quickies.  I'm sure there was some resistance to going to all Quickies (because, frankly, it made the show more like Celebrity Newlywed Game), but the show actually worked a lot better.  Maybe having more frequently exposure to only the first format skewed opinions a bit.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2016, 04:38:44 PM »
I would throw a suggestion out:  most of the Tattletales episodes I saw on Buzzr were from the first few months of the run, with lockout buzzer questions rather than all Tattletales Quickies.  (...) Maybe having more frequently exposure to only the first format skewed opinions a bit.

I like that reason. I didn't like that format on He Said, She Said either, but it was even sillier with 3 couples & the often reduced chances at playing on the same prompt.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2016, 04:47:48 PM »
Could it be that the voters who left it off discovered however many other shows in the last ten years that they think are great-er? I know I listed Russian Roulette last time and didn't this time because while the net stayed the same size the lake had more fish that I was aware of. (Nobody is going to put YBYLife on the list because of the scintillating quiz material, I put it there because Groucho Marx was blisteringly funny in the episode I found to watch.)
Travis L. Eberle

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2016, 06:00:57 PM »
Just curious, how many shows will you be counting down at a time? It's 5 a day, correct?

Five shows roughly every couple of days, to allow time for discussion to take place in between results.