Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Carmen Sandiego has been found!  (Read 8711 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: Carmen Sandiego has been found!
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 11:35:44 PM »
As for the article itself, preteen me was deflated by "Where in Time" and I forgot there was even a live action Carmen. Thought the timeline round was cool & it used skill to pick a winner vs. the loot/warrant/crook round.
I would like round two and the end game if they didn't rehash the elements from round one quite so much. One of the things I liked about World is that they embraced the silliness and made it part of the fun. Time was too earnest and therefore it tended towards dorky instead. It was an admirable attempt and I still love the idea of having to atone for wrong answers by performing a penalty, but I can imagine someone seeing Time when expecting World and saying "Pass."
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 11:40:49 PM »
Your first statement in the thread was "Oh, get off your high horse for once." That didn't set the tone in a measured, "merely stating" place.

-Jason

I'll concede that much. I understand how it might have come off heavier than I intended it to (read: let personal feelings toward Chad do the talking.) I might've done a little better to follow my own advice there and said what I meant (which was Henke got it right this time, let it slide). So neither side is blameless here. I'm guilty in the same vein that I felt he was.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 11:43:18 PM »
Time was too earnest and therefore it tended towards dorky instead.

I agree wholeheartedly with this, however, the same demographic seems to love "Legends of the Hidden Temple" which was also an earnest, immersive game. Do you think that worked better than "Time"? And if so, why?

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 12:10:03 AM »
I agree wholeheartedly with this, however, the same demographic seems to love "Legends of the Hidden Temple" which was also an earnest, immersive game. Do you think that worked better than "Time"? And if so, why?
The thing that I'm reminded of when I watch these old shows is that they did things you just could not replicate out of the home office. As goofy as the first three rounds are, and having to suspend belief that the Temple Games are themed around the event and not just drawn from the same pool of five games with new prop dressing, the end game is magnificent and it's as close to Indiana Jones as a kid is going to get.

Sure, the host was outsourced to a rock and a voice-over guy, but for three minutes you got lost in the action, hoping the team would pick the right path or notice little things like the headdress feather in the python room indicated that a Temple Guard was ready to spring, or finding things to throw at the TV because the kid could not be less competent at putting the monkey together than if it was an IKEA bookcase, that at least for me I was always emotionally invested in the outcome: happy when they won and disappointed if they just won the skateboard consolation prize.

With the Trail of Time, the quiz material was rehashed twice before and you generally got a good sense of whether the kid could win it based on how many wrong answers were given. It felt like you were watching a thing happen than experiencing it, at least for me. Where in the World did so many things so well and hit so many high notes that Where in Time was bound to compare unfavorably no matter what. I think that if Where in Time was the first and only we would say "they're trying for a thing and it's got some highlights," but to go from Greg and his marzipan flavored trip portfolio to Kevin Shinick and "activate the time portal!" it's just a cringe-a-minute.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 12:21:15 AM »
The whole buildup to the Temple Run was what killed Legends for me. It just felt like such a slog to get from point A to B to C and I just didn't have the patience for it. Maybe that's just me being spoiled from the other Nick game shows that I expected more.

The Temple Run was still awesome (although the first season kinda sucked because it just seemed the difficulty was ramped up too high).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022