Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tic Tac Dough 1990  (Read 19251 times)

dmota104

Tic Tac Dough 1990
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2004, 12:19:02 PM »
The only good that came out of TTD was the higher stakes (if only they carried over after tie games) and graphics.  The dragon was something else!

Outside of that, it was awful!  (Theme song, rappin' dragon and dragon-slayer... oh, yeah... and Patrick)

WorldClassRob

Tic Tac Dough 1990
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2004, 09:38:38 PM »
The set wasn't that bad... in fact it was a good set.  Nice graphics and all.

But the format was FAR different than the Martindale TTD.  And the host... well, I think Guy Smiley would've been a better host than lowly Patrick Wayne.

Seriously, gang... Lange could've done it, Perry could've done it, even Geoff Edwards could've done it.  I'm sure most of you thought before Wayne came along that Jim Caldwell was the worst.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Tic Tac Dough 1990
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2004, 09:50:46 PM »
[quote name=\'WorldClassRob\' date=\'Feb 11 2004, 07:38 PM\'] And the host... well, I think Guy Smiley would've been a better host than lowly Patrick Wayne.
 [/quote]
I think you are underestimating the m4d h0sting ski||z of Mr. Guy Smiley. His work on that four-block version of Concentration was sublime.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 09:51:10 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Tic Tac Dough 1990
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2004, 02:35:23 AM »
WorldClassRob said:

But the format was FAR different than the Martindale TTD. And the host... well, I think Guy Smiley would've been a better host than lowly Patrick Wayne.

Say what now?  How was the format different?  You pick a box, answer a question, and get your mark in the box if you're right?  It's the same format.  Sure, the trappings surrounding the basic game are different (no car for five-time winners, for example) but the format stayed the same.

Travis
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 02:35:51 AM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

Don Howard

Tic Tac Dough 1990
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2004, 07:03:47 AM »
[quote name=\'WorldClassRob\' date=\'Feb 11 2004, 09:38 PM\'] The set wasn't that bad... in fact it was a good set.  Nice graphics and all.

But the format was FAR different than the Martindale TTD.  And the host... well, I think Guy Smiley would've been a better host than lowly Patrick Wayne.

Seriously, gang... Lange could've done it, Perry could've done it, even Geoff Edwards could've done it.  I'm sure most of you thought before Wayne came along that Jim Caldwell was the worst. [/quote]
 Would Blake Emmons have been a better choice?

WorldClassRob

Tic Tac Dough 1990
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2004, 10:04:18 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Feb 12 2004, 02:35 AM\'] WorldClassRob said:

But the format was FAR different than the Martindale TTD. And the host... well, I think Guy Smiley would've been a better host than lowly Patrick Wayne.

Say what now?  How was the format different?  You pick a box, answer a question, and get your mark in the box if you're right?  It's the same format.  Sure, the trappings surrounding the basic game are different (no car for five-time winners, for example) but the format stayed the same.

Travis [/quote]
 Look at how the Martindale game is played and the one Wayne is hosting.  The rules of the game are the same as before, yes, but the shuffling is stopped by a player instead of by itself, and the pot is not carried over in the event of a tie game.  And of course the bonus round and the rappin' dragon leaves to be desired.  Other than that, the rules had been the same since the old Jack Barry days: pick a square, answer a question correctly, and win the square.

DJDustman

Tic Tac Dough 1990
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2004, 04:44:01 PM »
Tic Tac Dough 1990 was a neat little revival, the set was outstanding, the music was ok, and the game play was great.  The host may have done bad, but hey, you have to give him a little credit.  I think he did a nice job on the show.

PeterMarshallFan

Tic Tac Dough 1990
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2004, 04:50:25 PM »
Patrick was my only real problem with TTD90. The set and theme grew on me after a while, and the format wasn't that bad even with the resetting pot rule.

clemon79

Tic Tac Dough 1990
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2004, 05:40:44 PM »
[quote name=\'DJDustman\' date=\'Feb 12 2004, 02:44 PM\'] The host may have done bad, but hey, you have to give him a little credit. [/quote]
 Hitler may have been evil, but hey, you have to give him a little credit.

uncamark

Tic Tac Dough 1990
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2004, 05:44:50 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 12 2004, 05:40 PM\'][quote name=\'DJDustman\' date=\'Feb 12 2004, 02:44 PM\'] The host may have done bad, but hey, you have to give him a little credit. [/quote]
Hitler may have been evil, but hey, you have to give him a little credit.[/quote]
Something about trains seems to come to mind here--or was that Mussolini?

BrandonFG

Tic Tac Dough 1990
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2004, 05:49:49 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Feb 12 2004, 04:50 PM\'] Patrick was my only real problem with TTD90. The set and theme grew on me after a while, and the format wasn't that bad even with the resetting pot rule. [/quote]
Patrick was way too enthusiastic to me...he looked like one of those game show hosts you'd see on a sitcom, the "stereotypical" host. The set was barren, and the theme was OK in some places, in other places it seemed too basic.

As for the pot resetting, I don't understand what everyone's complaint is about it, except for the fact that the payouts were cheapened. Other than that, I could care less about something like that. I mean, had the show been better executed, would people have stopped watching just because the pot didn't carryover?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Neumms

Tic Tac Dough 1990
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2004, 07:11:19 PM »
"Tic Tac Dough" was so simple, it was kind of dull. What gave it interest on Wink's version were Thom McKee and other champions who could build up long streaks as well as the occasional long series of tie games (with the accumulating pot).

Even if PW was a capable host, every game would feel the same. "Blockbusters" suffered from the same problem, although it had a more complex game board, the 2 vs. 1 angle, and--most importantly--Cullen.

Neither holds up as well as "Jeopardy!" with its interesting, challenging questions and much richer game play.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 07:12:44 PM by Neumms »

DJDustman

Tic Tac Dough 1990
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2004, 07:37:07 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 12 2004, 05:40 PM\'] [quote name=\'DJDustman\' date=\'Feb 12 2004, 02:44 PM\'] The host may have done bad, but hey, you have to give him a little credit. [/quote]
Hitler may have been evil, but hey, you have to give him a little credit. [/quote]
 Well, now your comparing Hitler to Wayne.  Seriously, do you have to go that low to show how much you Wayne, When he did'nt even do anything to you?

clemon79

Tic Tac Dough 1990
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2004, 09:42:03 PM »
[quote name=\'DJDustman\' date=\'Feb 12 2004, 05:37 PM\'] Well, now your comparing Hitler to Wayne.  Seriously, do you have to go that low to show how much you Wayne, When he did'nt even do anything to you? [/quote]
 Sigh. I knew someone would do that. It surprises me not at all that it was you.

I am most certainly NOT comparing Patrick Wayne to Hitler. I was merely pointing out the assininity (wow, THAT is a good word) of your statement. In fact, your indignance proves my point.

He was a crappy host, and for that reason I DON'T have to give him any credit.

GSWitch

Tic Tac Dough 1990
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2004, 06:50:47 AM »
The only other thing about TTD 90 was that they wouldn't allow another Thom McKee to happen.  Once you've won 15 games, you were an undefeated champion.