Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tic Tac Dough 1990  (Read 19478 times)

Pyramid80

Tic Tac Dough 1990
« on: January 20, 2004, 07:47:19 PM »
I just got finished watching an episode of TTD90.  I was wondering why people think it is so bad.  I didn't have a problem with it.  Maybe that is because tv today is really bad.  Thoughts, comments?

Casey Buck

Tic Tac Dough 1990
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2004, 07:56:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Pyramid80\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 04:47 PM\'] I just got finished watching an episode of TTD90.  I was wondering why people think it is so bad. [/quote]
 Two words: Patrick Wayne.

zachhoran

Tic Tac Dough 1990
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2004, 08:03:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Pyramid80\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 07:47 PM\'] I just got finished watching an episode of TTD90.  I was wondering why people think it is so bad.  I didn't have a problem with it.  Maybe that is because tv today is really bad.  Thoughts, comments? [/quote]
 Patrick Wayne has been bashed enough on Usenet and here over the years for his hosting of TTD90. He's not the only thing that didn't help TTD90. The set and theme paled in comparison to the WInk years, the pot didn't carry over for tie games as it did with the Wink/Caldwell version. The bonus game was more like the 1978 CBS version of the show, with a three in a row needed to win. The Dragon Slayer when found would automatically win the 1990 bonus game, and sometimes the only way to win the bonus game was by finding the Slayer. The 1978 CBS version guaranteed a three-in-a-row on the board in that bonus round. In keeping with modern times, the 1990 version had the legendary rapping dragon. Finally, the G-d awful divorced couples week played for lower stakes than usually played for, where the two contestants were a husband and his ex-wife. All that, plus its airing in the wee hours of the night in NYC, Philly, and other cities, pretty much sealed TTD90's fate, lasting 13 weeks of shows plus 13 weeks of reruns.

DJDustman

Tic Tac Dough 1990
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2004, 09:03:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Pyramid80\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 07:47 PM\'] I just got finished watching an episode of TTD90.  I was wondering why people think it is so bad.  I didn't have a problem with it.  Maybe that is because tv today is really bad.  Thoughts, comments? [/quote]
 I agree!!  This version of TTD is nice.  There were only a few minor things about the show, the rapping dragon was kinda dumb, and reseting the pot after a tie.  

But all in all the show is great.

gameshowguy2000

Tic Tac Dough 1990
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2004, 09:30:23 PM »
And here's another good point about the show:

The contestants stop the category shuffling on their own.

In this move, if you badly want to block or win, you can pick the category YOU think you know the most about. That's what I like. If I were to block or win, I'd pick the category I know the most about. And if I miss the question, well, I learn from it.

zachhoran

Tic Tac Dough 1990
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2004, 09:41:43 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 09:30 PM\'] And here's another good point about the show:

In this move, if you badly want to block or win, you can pick the category YOU think you know the most about. That's what I like. If I were to block or win, I'd pick the category I know the most about. And if I miss the question, well, I learn from it. [/quote]
 IIRC the categories shuffled too fast for someone to stop the shuffle on a given category

gsnstooge

Tic Tac Dough 1990
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2004, 09:53:38 PM »
Patrick saying "YOU WIN!" and "IS RIGHT" as well as the rapping dragon doesn't bother me.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 04:33:06 PM by gsnstooge »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Tic Tac Dough 1990
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2004, 10:24:40 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 07:41 PM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 09:30 PM\'] And here's another good point about the show:

In this move, if you badly want to block or win, you can pick the category YOU think you know the most about. That's what I like. If I were to block or win, I'd pick the category I know the most about. And if I miss the question, well, I learn from it. [/quote]
IIRC the categories shuffled too fast for someone to stop the shuffle on a given category [/quote]
 Much too fast.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Tic Tac Dough 1990
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2004, 10:37:50 PM »
And the "shuffling" wasn't all that great, either. I recently saw an episode through a tape trade, and three times in close succession, when the shuffled board was stopped, the categories were all in the same positions.

But yeah, I think most of the blame can be placed on Patrick Wayne and the rapping dragon.

--
Scott Robinson

The Ol' Guy

Tic Tac Dough 1990
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2004, 10:51:05 PM »
The most descriptive word about TTD90 to me is the same one that Mark Goodson used later to describe why he thought What's My Line would not be successful today: too "feminine". It was too soft, not aggressive, and came off as a "gentle" game show. It's a kinder word than "sterile", which it seemed it was at times, too. It felt too untypical. Whether it wound up that way by choice or chemestry, it just didn't seem to have "balls."

ITSBRY

Tic Tac Dough 1990
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2004, 11:02:35 PM »
I watched TTD 90 during its original run and on USA and didn't find anything particularly repulsive about the format of the game.  It actually stayed pretty true to the 70s/80s format from what I recall.  I actually liked the set.  The theme music was weird, but I sort of liked it too.

Two things ruined this show...

Patrick Wayne will go down in history as TV's all time worst game show host.  His hosting was embarrassingly awful.  Classic example of a bad host ruining a decent format.

The rapping dragon and dragon slayer were completely moronic and unnecessary.

As I recall, they did some pretty tacky theme weeks too...like divorced couples week, etc.  

But...even if TTD 90 had a good host, I still believe it would have suffered the same fate that the rest of the early 1990s game shows did when we were deluged with the trash talk show.

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Tic Tac Dough 1990
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2004, 12:01:28 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 09:30 PM\'] And here's another good point about the show:

Not really.
How does the contestants pressing a button differ ANY from a stagehand backstage doing the same thing?

It doesn't.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

steveu

Tic Tac Dough 1990
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2004, 01:28:57 AM »
YYYOOOUUUU BLOCKED!

Seriously, I didn't think he was that bad, but I still remember that to this day.

GSWitch

Tic Tac Dough 1990
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2004, 08:28:44 AM »
The only reason I liked TTD 90, two words, Henry Mancini!

This stupid revival of a classic game show turned out to be Mr. Mancini's final television theme before he died in 1994.

And the tune was kinda like something you'd hear on Barney & Friends (LOL)!

aaron sica

Tic Tac Dough 1990
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2004, 08:43:00 AM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Jan 21 2004, 08:28 AM\'] And the tune was kinda like something you'd hear on Barney & Friends (LOL)! [/quote]
 Perhaps they should have used Barney instead of the dragon in the bonus round; he's even scarier than a dragon.