Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Too Late Ebay: Entire set of actual Card Sharks cards!  (Read 17128 times)

Matt Ottinger

Too Late Ebay: Entire set of actual Card Sharks cards!
« on: July 29, 2016, 10:46:02 PM »
I just found out about it, and it closed earlier tonight.  Seller does a lousy job of demonstrating scale.  If not for the specialty bonus cards, this would look like a standard-sized deck.

Can't tell if this was an auction or a Buy It Now, but somebody got himself a nice conversation piece.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Card-Sharks-Actual-Cards-From-1970s-80s-Game-Show-Full-Set-RARE-/262550366387
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Sodboy13

Re: Too Late Ebay: Entire set of actual Card Sharks cards!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 10:55:40 PM »
$315?!? That's absolutely ridiculous (that I didn't get a chance to bid on it and potentially have a lot of explaining to do to my wife later).
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 11:18:40 PM »
That is in fact news I can use; knowing that the cards are nineteen inches tall by fourteen inches across.

/Once again: the free market is never wrong but could it please chill the eff out once in a while.
//I'm making enough pocket money selling HeroQuest figures that I could probably recoup the cost over time.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 11:21:56 PM »
The RED deck? Pass. Blue deck FTW.

(Interesting...those measurements indicate they are neither poker- nor bridge-sized.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 11:28:02 PM »
You'd think Larry would have put up a bottle used on Jeannie or something.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 11:32:43 PM »
That is in fact news I can use; knowing that the cards are nineteen inches tall by fourteen inches across.
Also worth noting is that the dimensions for the CBS and NBC incarnations were different. Jim Perry's cards were one foot by two feet.

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 11:50:18 PM »
Maybe it's the magic of TV, but I don't think I would've guessed 14"x19" for oversized cards. Then again, as a kid, I was always amazed and found those cards to be massive. :P

$300 is quite steep, but if anyone ever wanted to sell those cards individually, I'm down.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 12:02:54 AM »
Jim Perry's cards were one foot by two feet.

Looking at at old Perry episode, I don't know if I buy this. It's a hell of an optical illusion if that is the case, at any rate.

Sodboy13

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 12:16:45 AM »
Maybe they were two different peoples' feet.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 12:31:31 AM »
Jim Perry's cards were one foot by two feet.

Looking at at old Perry episode, I don't know if I buy this. It's a hell of an optical illusion if that is the case, at any rate.
My source is an episode where Jim explains how they shuffle the cards and that's the measurement that he gives. I'm terrible at eyeballing measurements, so I believe you, the eBay seller, and Jim equally.

clemon79

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 01:04:31 AM »
My source is an episode where Jim explains how they shuffle the cards and that's the measurement that he gives.

I remember that episode! They showed the shuffling tables and then sealing up the deck in a big-ass manila envelope. :)

Any of us could be right. But take a 3x5" index card and then slice a half-inch off of the long side. That's the aspect ratio you are claiming, and that's a lot more narrow than even a bridge card. (In fact, take a bridge card (2.25" x 3.5") and slice a half-inch off the long side. Same thing.)

snowpeck

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 01:50:13 AM »
My source is an episode where Jim explains how they shuffle the cards and that's the measurement that he gives.

I remember that episode! They showed the shuffling tables and then sealing up the deck in a big-ass manila envelope. :)

Any of us could be right. But take a 3x5" index card and then slice a half-inch off of the long side. That's the aspect ratio you are claiming, and that's a lot more narrow than even a bridge card. (In fact, take a bridge card (2.25" x 3.5") and slice a half-inch off the long side. Same thing.)
Seems to me Jim was probably just rounding in an attempt to make his explanation simpler.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

tvwxman

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2016, 10:41:20 AM »
Also worth noting is that the dimensions for the CBS and NBC incarnations were different. Jim Perry's cards were one foot by two feet.

Is that true? That's interesting. 1' by 2' seems....disproportionate.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

tvwxman

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2016, 10:42:11 AM »
I just found out about it, and it closed earlier tonight.  Seller does a lousy job of demonstrating scale.  If not for the specialty bonus cards, this would look like a standard-sized deck.

Can't tell if this was an auction or a Buy It Now, but somebody got himself a nice conversation piece.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Card-Sharks-Actual-Cards-From-1970s-80s-Game-Show-Full-Set-RARE-/262550366387
Absolutely crushed that I missed this. Would have purchased in a hot second.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

calliaume

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2016, 11:20:21 AM »
A real shame we all found out about it after the fact.  And another thought:  the seller would have made a lot more money selling the cards individually.  You think individual cards would go for less than four bucks apiece?

If you've got money burning a hole in your wallet, Bob Boden is selling off a bunch of tickets.  Nothing astonishingly rare, but some interesting stuff.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw&_sacat=0&_udlo&_udhi&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo&_sabdhi&_samilow&_samihi&_sadis=15&_stpos=91409-7151&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=%26LH_SpecificSeller%3D1&_saslop=1&_sasl=tvbobme&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=100