Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hip Hop Squares Hip to Hop onto VH1  (Read 6806 times)

chad1m

Hip Hop Squares Hip to Hop onto VH1
« on: July 28, 2016, 05:15:57 PM »
VH1 announced today that they have revived Hip Hop Squares for at least 20 episodes, with Ice Cube as producer. It originally aired for two ten-episode seasons in 2012 on sister network MTV2. Here's the press release:

VH1 GREENLIGHTS HIP HOP SQUARES
ICE CUBE TO EXECUTIVE PRODUCE NETWORK'S SPIN ON HOLLYWOOD SQUARES SET TO PREMIERE THIS FALL
JESSE COLLINS ENTERTAINMENT, CUBE VISION AND THE FIRM TO PRODUCE

VH1 is giving the classic game show HOLLYWOOD SQUARES a Hip Hop makeover with the help of Ice Cube and his Cube Vision production company in conjunction with Jesse Collins Entertainment and Jeff Kwatinetz's The Firm.

Slated for a Fall 2016 premiere, celebrity contestants will match wits and test their pop culture knowledge with the superstar squares, featuring the biggest names in hip hop, comedy and entertainment.

O'Shea Jackson aka Ice Cube is an iconic member of N.W.A., as well as a prominent producer, actor and filmmaker. Most recently, he starred in and produced
BARBERSHOP: THE NEXT CUT and produced the Oscar nominated STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON. Entertainment industry veteran Jesse Collins (BET Awards, VH1's Dear Mama, Real Husbands of Hollywood) will also executive produce the series.

According to Ice Cube: "
Hip Hop Squares is going to be fun and spontaneous; unlike typical game shows, viewers should never know what's going to happen next. When VH1 asked us to join the producing team, we jumped aboard as we have had success with VH1, and we love their team, excitement and commitment to the show."

VH1 and Logo President Chris McCarthy goes on to say: "Ice Cube is one of the most prolific figures in Hip Hop history and American culture at large. We are thrilled to partner with him and CBS Distribution to reinvent one of America's most iconic game shows with
Hip Hop Squares."

Scott Koondel, Executive Vice President and Chief Corporate Content Licensing Officer, CBS Corporation echoed: "We cannot imagine a more ideal talent than Ice Cube to take our great comedy format to new heights. Ice Cube's phenomenal personality and popularity are vital keys to making Hip Hop Squares VH1's next big hit."

jjman920

• Mhoops.
Re: Hip Hop Squares Hip to Hop onto VH1
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 06:45:59 PM »
I wonder if Ice will be like Whoopi and take a seat in a square (center square, I'd pressume), or if he'll be more behind the scenes using his friendships and connections to bring in some high profile names. (Or both, obviously.)
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 10:52:30 AM »
Bumping to note this is finally scheduled to premiere with two episodes on Monday night, March 13, and two more each night Tue-Thu. (As of now; the schedule seems to be in flux and might change again. )

DeRay Davis is the new host, and this time around the contestants will also be famous folk.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 09:57:21 PM by ChrisLambert! »
@lambertman

bwood

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 12:46:33 AM »
The actual Squares set piece looks like it is the "Stair Step Style" illusion ala MGHS and not the true grid like the last version. Probably to go along with the party vibe.

GameShowGuru

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 10:43:57 PM »
VH1 has uploaded a 5 minute sneak preview of the opening of the premiere(?) episode.  This particular incarnation of Hollywood/Hip Hop Squares appears to be an all-star version, meaning the contestants will be celebrities as well as the Squares themselves.  The contestants for this particular clip are Tyson Beckford and Don Benjamin. 

Who are the Squares?  Center square for this episode is Bobby Brown, and the others are, in no particular order or formation: Tip, Faizon Love, Tiffany Haddish, Kelis, Keri Hilson, DC Young Fly, Eva Marcelle, Michael Blackson. 

Rounding out the stars are host DeRay Davis, announcer Ice Cube, Biz Markie as the DJ, and the XO Squad, who dances for the audience.

Without further ado, here's the preview:

http://www.vh1.com/news/304390/hip-hop-squares-tyson-beckford-don-benjamin-preview/

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 02:08:06 PM »
Center square for this episode is Bobby Brown

You sure can't beat that.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Sodboy13

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 06:23:36 PM »
Center square for this episode is Bobby Brown

You sure can't beat that.
Enough with your wise cracks.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 07:32:47 PM »

Keeping the pimp hand strong? :D
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 10:18:23 PM »

Keeping the pimp hand strong? :D

We don't do that, okay? Crack is wack.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

GameShowGuru

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 05:22:47 PM »
I received a little more insight as to the scoring and who benefits from the winnings during the game (the original clip I posted to illustrate my commentary was deleted by VH-1 because the clip included a reference they were not allowed to publicly show discovered after the fact).

Scoring appears to be inspired from the HS portion of the MG-HSH, except instead of each captured square being worth $25 apiece, they are worth varying denominations of money - not yet sure how much a tic-tac-toe is worth, or if there will be a Secret Square round in this version.

Also, it appears that the celebs will be playing on behalf of a civilian fan, who will receive the winnings - to what extent, and what the losing civilian fan will receive remains to be seen.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 03:12:48 PM by GameShowGuru »

GameShowGuru

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 03:02:56 PM »
OK, saw the first two eps last night, my feedback is as follows:

I found the earning money for capturing Squares ala the MG-HS Hour novel, the zingers were actually hilarious (see examples below), but I found the game pacing too slow.

There should be no less than two complete rounds per show. Editing should be done so that each celebrity questioned should have 45 - 60 seconds of screen time to answer. All the inter-Square banter should be reserved for bonus footage clips online.

The monies won I find reasonable, I especially like that the losing civilian contestant gets to keep their winnings.

In short, I think this would be a better show if either the games were straddled or the show extended to an hour if episodes must be self-contained.

Bonus round: I'm still undecided on that modified Tic Tac Dough '90 style format. It seems too easy to win. If they had returning champions, you could make it three tries for the first win, and increase it by an additional try for reach subsequent game win, but that's just me.

Other than that, this could be a promising series.

Sample zingers:

DERAY DAVIS: If you wanted to take a vacation to Dildo Island - probably with Cardi B, what country would you be visiting?
AMBER ROSE: Dildo Island, isn't that where Trump is from?

DERAY DAVIS: Olympian Marissa Dick introduced the world to her total Dick move.  In what sport does she perform The Dick?
AFFION CROCKETT: Whatever sport they play on Dildo Island.

Link to the episode in question where you can watch in its entirety:
http://www.vh1.com/episodes/egl4nx/hip-hop-squares-ray-j-vs-princess-love-season-1-ep-102

JakeT

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 06:39:59 PM »
Seems like Hip Hop Squares is gonna make Harvey's FEUD appear prudish in comparison...

JakeT

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 07:07:06 PM »
I suggest we just chill till the next episode.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 07:14:35 PM »
Five minutes before the beginning of the game seems a bit much. I'm no prude either and I love a little fun, but the opening seemed to go on forever with the picking up of Tyson Beckford and the runway challenge.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 11:01:43 PM »
Fans of the old series will either be put off or confused. Their target demo may not even know that there was an old series.

Given that they're playing for members of the public who could use the money and that it's a significant amount, I wish that they would have cracked the whip a little. But I'm not the target demo so I will have forgotten all about it by this time tomorrow.
Travis L. Eberle