Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hip Hop Squares Hip to Hop onto VH1  (Read 6818 times)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Re: Hip Hop Squares Hip to Hop onto VH1
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2017, 03:57:15 PM »
I am not at all well versed in the world of hip-hop, but it's evident that this show is going for a laid-back hangout vibe, and for what it wants to be, I think it succeeds. Really, the only thing that didn't click for me was the dance troupe, which always felt a little out of place when it showed up.

With the casual mood, and in episode 102, only 11 questions played, my concern is that there will frequently be at least one celebrity that never gets selected during an episode. It's a problem with no good solution -- you don't want to lose the casualness of the show, but a half hour isn't enough time for a complete-feeling episode and an hour would be too long.

Given that they're playing for members of the public who could use the money and that it's a significant amount, I wish that they would have cracked the whip a little.

But then the individual questions wouldn't be worth as much. The producers knew that they weren't going to play too many questions per episode, so they could put a respectable amount in each square. If you try to cram in more questions, not only do you lose all of the fun, then the individual dollar amounts go down, too.

Bonus round: I'm still undecided on that modified Tic Tac Dough '90 style format. It seems too easy to win.

See, I like that a game show is willing to have a bonus round where the majority of contestants win. I'd much rather see modest stakes that are frequently won over inflated top prizes that are rarely given away. Again, I'm not well versed in hip-hop, but I'm relatively certain that a common theme in the music is wealth and money flowing freely. It would feel out of place for a show titled Hip Hop Squares (where one of the celebrities sits in a throne and where Ice Cube is surrounded by stacks of cash) to be stingy.

Really, the thing that bothered me the most was the amount of ADR that the host performed. Ultimately, Hip Hop Squares does what it sets out to do. It isn't a traditional game show, but it isn't trying to be one.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 07:21:09 PM »
For anyone who watched more closely than I did; how often was the value of the square less than that of a game win? It seemed to be the case moreso in game one.
Travis L. Eberle

GameShowGuru

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 01:23:53 AM »
The comment regarding the money amounts are higher to make up for fewer Squares being called during a game makes sense. I guess in part that's why celebrities are playing on behalf of civilians  rather than the civilians themselves, because if I was playing on behalf of myself and celebrities were infringing on my ability to win money because they were too busy upstaging each other, I'd be royally pissed.  When a celebrity is playing on your behalf, you can only get but so upset, especially if you keep all that is won, win or lose.

Bill Cullen himself once said, "It's great to be witty and funny, but a host should never detract from a contestant's ability to win money."  The same can be said about celebrity panelists.

Which reminds me: Tiffany Haddish is one annoying hood chick that people are going to get tired of really quickly. The one who show out the most are usually the ones people know the least.

I really want to like this show, I like how they're generous with the money payouts, I can even forgive them for not having a Secret Square, I just wish they can get more questions in a single game.  I understand that it's as much a party show as it is a game show, I just want to see more questions asked and answered without so many lengthy sidetracks.

JakeT

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2017, 04:05:41 AM »
I tried...I really did...but I couldn't get through even one episode...just too loud and chaotic...

JakeT