Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Hosts who did cartoon voice work  (Read 18938 times)

rugrats1

Game Show Hosts who did cartoon voice work
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2004, 06:49:51 PM »
One major nitpick to the [Animaniacs] writers: [Ben Stein's] character mentioned he once saw Bob Barker eat a baloney and cheesepuff sandwich. Barker wouldn't touch one of those in real life.

I don't think that was necessarily a nitpick -- maybe that character was trying to dig up some dirt on Bob, catching him not praticing what he preaches.

zachhoran

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2004, 07:25:22 PM »
Wink Martindale reportedly did a voiceover for the Jetsons in the 80s, as per an interview with him in a 1987 issue of TV Game Show Fever(second and final issue)

Match Game Nut

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2004, 08:13:07 PM »
As a cartoon fan(specifically the Disney Afternoon cartoons from the early 90's, Darkwing Duck, Tale Spin, etc...), I know that Charles Nelson Reilly voiced a handyman or something in an episode of Goof Troop. It was pretty funny when I realized it was him, as he did that oft-imitated laugh of his, heh. Also, CNR voiced "Killer" in the All Dogs Go To Heaven movies(this according to the voicechasers.com website posted earlier in this thread.

Also Patti Deutsh did an episode of Darkwing Duck but I haven't seen that episode in awhile, so I don't remember it very well. Oh well, not game show hosts, but at least game show personalities!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2004, 08:25:27 PM »
CNR hosted "Sweethearts," so that counts.  Others who had regular roles in cartoons were Pat Harrington of "Stump the Stars" as the Inspector in the theatrical shorts shown on TV on the Pink Panther Show,  "Penny to a Million" host Bill Goodwin who narrated the Gerald McBoingBoing shorts,  Arthur Q. Bryan, host of "Movieland Quiz" who was the voice of Elmer Fudd and Donny Osmond of "Pyramid" who voiced his animated counterpart on "The Osmonds" cartoon show.  Jack Barry was host of "Winky Dink and You," and though I've never seen that show, I believe he interacted with Winky Dink in the cartoon.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

SplitSecond

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2004, 08:45:58 PM »
While we're on the subject of spelling last names...

I just watched an episode of Jackpot! and a pilot, both hosted by Mike Darrow, who was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Or, rather... hosted by Mike Darow.

Both shows spelled his name this way in the credits, though both shows were produced by different companies over 10 years apart.  Can't be coincidence.  Or could it?

Thad Dixon

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2004, 08:50:06 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 01:12 PM\'][quote name=\'dmota104\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 01:03 PM\']
* Bob Barker - In a "Futurama" episode as a talking preserved head!

Can the same be said for Dick Clark in another episode of "Futurama"? [/quote]
Yeah, Dick Clark's preserved head was on the first episode of Futurama, hosting New Year's Rockin' Eve.[/quote]
And, I don't believe this has been mentioned yet but, Dick Clark also did his own voice in the 10th Simpsons Halloween Special ("Treehouse of Horror X").  You know, the one where he does his New Year's Rockin' Eve from Springfield instead of Times Square.....when suddenly the Y2K bug causes all the computers to crash (and we discover he's really a robot)!

JamesVipond

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2004, 10:16:32 PM »
I know of a few worth adding:

Paul Winchell, the host of Runaround, did voices in several Hanna-Barbera cartoons: Wacky Races, Help! It's the Hair Bear Bunch!, The Robonic Stooges and Smurfs, among others. He also played opposite Frank Nelson in DFE's The Oddball Couple and did guest voices on Hong Kong Phooey and The Super Globetrotters.

Fred Travalena, the host of Anything for Money and Baby Races, was the voice of Bogey Orangutan on Shirt Tales.

Lynne Thigpen of the Carmen Sandiego shows on PBS did a guest voice on King of the Hill.
"He has big eyes ... and they're BLUE!"

-- a boy describing Bill Cullen on Child's Play

rugrats1

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2004, 10:23:53 PM »
As a cartoon fan... I know that Charles Nelson Reilly voiced a handyman or something in an episode of Goof Troop. Also, CNR voiced "Killer" in the All Dogs Go To Heaven movies(this according to the voicechasers.com website posted earlier in this thread.

Going back to "Rugrats", he was also contestant "Edmund Haynes" in "Game Show Didi", the episode where the aforementioned Alex Trebek voiced a game show host.

JMFabiano

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2004, 11:22:33 PM »
Not a host, but the voice of Game Sh, er, GSN, Neil Ross, is a known voiceover actor as well.  Off the top of my head, he was Springer in Transformers: The Movie.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

adamjk

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2004, 11:34:18 PM »
I think Alex if I recall, also did voice work as a game show host on the PBS kids show Arthur.

Starkman

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2004, 12:05:15 AM »
I believe wink martindale did the jetsons ep as the game show host wink martiandale when the family goes on a Feud like show with Astro (who gets turned into a genius by one of Elroy's inventions) as their key player.

Also, J.D. Roth was the voice of Johnny on the "real" adventures of Johnny Quest on cartoon network in the late 90s. Unfortunatly they got rid of the only thing that series (original or otherwise) was worth; the excellent theme music.

davidhammett

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2004, 12:16:51 AM »
After skimming the entire thread, I didn't notice any mention of this current cartoon voice... Bob Bergen (from "Jep") is currently the voice of Porky Pig on Cartoon Network's "Duck Dodgers" series.

David
(Yes... I'm still around...)

jw2001

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2004, 12:33:00 AM »
Dick Clark also provided a voice over of a live-action version of himself on Muppet Babies, where Miss Piggy ends up on the 25,000 Dollhouse Pyramid.  See Jay Antoniewicz's Miscellaneous section for a picture.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2004, 01:41:42 AM »
[quote name=\'jw2001\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 10:33 PM\'] Dick Clark also provided a voice over of a live-action version of himself on Muppet Babies, where Miss Piggy ends up on the 25,000 Dollhouse Pyramid.  See Jay Antoniewicz's Miscellaneous section for a picture. [/quote]
 We need to come up with a Sniglet for the act of referring someone to a crap Geocities website only to have it promptly careen over quota.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2004, 02:06:50 AM »
I believe wink martindale did the jetsons ep as the game show host wink martiandale when the family goes on a Feud like show with Astro (who gets turned into a genius by one of Elroy's inventions) as their key player.

I think you've mixed two episoes:

On one, the Jetsons go on a quiz show ("Family Fallout") and wind up playing against George's boss' family, and after two or three tie games, wind up winning a new food gadget thing.

On the other, Elroy concocts some weird plant thing that makes Astro a genius.  After proving it's not a fluke, George goes on the quiz show "Brainbusters" with Astro in tow.  It's a caricature of "The $64,000 Question", the isolation booth, tough questions, the whole bit.  Astro leads George to $500,000 and he decides to risk it all for the million bucks.  At that point, Elroy's plant goes back to normal; and Astro loses his intelligence.  They miss the $1 million question, and the consolation one for $250,000; and go home, where everything is back to normal.  The host on this one was indeed Wink Martiandale; I don't recall for the other one.

I am absolutely shocked that I remember this from the days when I would watch cartoons before the school bus showed up.

Travis Eberle
Travis L. Eberle