Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Hosts who did cartoon voice work  (Read 18906 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
Game Show Hosts who did cartoon voice work
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2004, 01:12:11 PM »
[quote name=\'dmota104\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 01:03 PM\']
* Bob Barker - In a "Futurama" episode as a talking preserved head!

Can the same be said for Dick Clark in another episode of "Futurama"? [/quote]
 Yeah, Dick Clark's preserved head was on the first episode of Futurama, hosting New Year's Rockin' Eve.

Here's more...

John O'Hurley provided the voice of a cult leader in an early episode of Family Guy.

Ben Stein played a semi-recurring character on Duckman and the voice of a rabbi in the unaired episode of Family Guy.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2004, 01:33:07 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 01:12 PM\'] Ben Stein played a semi-recurring character on Duckman and the voice of a rabbi in the unaired episode of Family Guy. [/quote]
I first heard Ben Stein's voice in an episode of Animaniacs, where he played a droning man who Yakko, Wakko, and Dot try (in vain) to get away from.  One major nitpick to the writers: the character mentioned he once saw Bob Barker eat a baloney and cheesepuff sandwich.  Barker wouldn't touch one of those in real life.  (I wouldn't either, but for a different reason.)

Hmm, I didn't think Jim and Brian Cummings were related.  On that note, I recall Brian and Jo Anne Worley (not a host per se, but a frequent panelist) were both in the voice cast of the mid-80s Disney cartoon The Wuzzles.

Ob80sCartoons: How could Gary Owens and Garfield and Friends be mentioned in the same post without pointing out that it was none other than Gary who intoned at the start of every show: "Ladies and gentleman, Garfield and Friends!"?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 01:35:57 PM by GS Warehouse »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2004, 01:40:56 PM »
[quote name=\'dheine1971\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 09:05 AM\'] There were 3 game show hosts who did cartoon voice over work:
* Monty Hall - In a "Wait Til Your Father Gets Home" epiosde titled "Irma Loves Monty".
* Bob Barker - In a "Futurama" episode as a talking preserved head!
* Alex Trebek - He voiced in 3 cartoons: 1) As Alan Quebec in the "Rugrats" episode "Game Show Didi", 2) Alan Lebec in the "Arthur" episode "Arthur and the Big Riddle", 3) As himself in the 1997 "The Simpsons" Christmas episode where after Bart lied about a burglar stealing Christmas rather than the Christmas tree burned down Marge ended up on Jeopardy! and lost! [/quote]
 I thought you were leaving this forum and never coming back.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

dheine1971

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2004, 01:49:57 PM »
Dsmith: I just decided to get a third chance this time with no GSN - The Network for Games bashing.

And moving on to cartoons: Dick Clark guest voiced on an episode of the 1994 "Fantastic Four" cartoon series (Beau Weaver, 1989 College Mad House announcer, voiced Mr. Fantastic/Reed Richards on the series, Beau Weaver has also done the voice of Superman in the 1988-1989 CBS Ruby-Spears produced version). Dick Clark also did a guest voice on "Pinky and the Brain".

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2004, 01:56:18 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 12:33 PM\'] Hmm, I didn't think Jim and Brian Cummings were related.  On that note, I recall Brian and Jo Anne Worley (not a host per se, but a frequent panelist) were both in the voice cast of the mid-80s Disney cartoon The Wuzzles.
 [/quote]
 Guess I shoulda looked this up earlier.  The voice of Winnie-The-Pooh spells his last name C-U-M-M-I-N-S (no G toward the end).  That doesn't necessarily preclude them from being related, but it stands to reason that they're probably not.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

melman1

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2004, 02:01:54 PM »
[quote name=\'dheine1971\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 11:49 AM\'] Dsmith: I just decided to get a third chance this time with no GSN - The Network for Games bashing.
 [/quote]
 Does your local bookshop have any remedial English books?  Last I checked, one doesn't "decide to get a third chance".  One can "take a chance", or others can "give you a chance".

None of which is really relevant here - your account is still open, and you decided to go back on your word and post here again.  If you can get your "English problems" under control, most probably won't have a problem with that.
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2004, 02:05:29 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 02:56 PM\'] [quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 12:33 PM\'] Hmm, I didn't think Jim and Brian Cummings were related.  On that note, I recall Brian and Jo Anne Worley (not a host per se, but a frequent panelist) were both in the voice cast of the mid-80s Disney cartoon The Wuzzles.
 [/quote]
Guess I shoulda looked this up earlier.  The voice of Winnie-The-Pooh spells his last name C-U-M-M-I-N-S (no G toward the end).  That doesn't necessarily preclude them from being related, but it stands to reason that they're probably not.

Doug [/quote]
 I don't know where you're getting the "Cummins" spelling.  Google brings up that spelling only on a very small handful of clearly amateur web sites.  It's definitely "Cummings".  Here's a site with his autograph, and the "g" is clearly visible:

http://www.voicechasers.org/Actors/J_Cummings.html
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

SRIV94

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2004, 02:51:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 01:05 PM\'] [quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 02:56 PM\'] [quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 12:33 PM\'] Hmm, I didn't think Jim and Brian Cummings were related.  On that note, I recall Brian and Jo Anne Worley (not a host per se, but a frequent panelist) were both in the voice cast of the mid-80s Disney cartoon The Wuzzles.
 [/quote]

Doug [/quote]
I don't know where you're getting the "Cummins" spelling.  Google brings up that spelling only on a very small handful of clearly amateur web sites.  It's definitely "Cummings".  Here's a site with his autograph, and the "g" is clearly visible:

http://www.voicechasers.org/Actors/J_Cummings.html [/quote]
I got it from this:

One of the smaller residents of the 100 Acre Woods finally gets his moment in the spotlight in this animated feature, based on the characters created by A.A. Milne. As Winnie the Pooh (voice of Jim Cummins) and his pals Tigger (also voiced by Cummins), Rabbit (voice of Ken Sansom), and Eeyore (voice of Peter Cullen) set out to harvest honey from the hives in the forest, Piglet (voice of John Fiedler) is told he's too small to come along. Feeling like he often gets the short end of the stick, Piglet decides to strike out on his own, and when the honey hunters return, they can't find their friend -- only his scrapbooks of their adventures of the past. As they look through the books, Winnie and his pals realize just how much their friend means to them, and how much they've taken him for granted. They set out to find Piglet and ask him to come home, and along the way the little pig makes a big difference when his pals need him. Piglet's Big Movie includes several new songs from singer and songwriter Carly Simon. Mark Deming

That came from Barnes & Noble's site, with the review taken from All-Movie Guide.  I'm also pretty sure I've seen a number of references in TV GUIDE without the "G".

However, the site you linked appears to be much more reputable.  I'd say it's more likely that I'm wrong (add it up to the 814 other times it's happened ;) ).

Doug
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 02:51:51 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

BrandonFG

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2004, 04:35:22 PM »
"Life With Louie," Louie Anderson's cartoon from the mid-90s. It was based on his childhood I believe.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

GS Warehouse

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2004, 04:38:45 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 02:51 PM\'] However, the site you linked appears to be much more reputable.  I'd say it's more likely that I'm wrong (add it up to the 814 other times it's happened ;) ). [/quote]
 Only 814?!  Well, that's one more thing you're wrong about! j/k  Seriously, according to The Encyclopedia of Animated Cartoons, Second Edition, it is Cummings with a G.  In fact, in the late-80s and early-90s, Cummings was pretty much the go-to VO for Disney the way (ObGS) Johnny Olson was for Goodson-Todman.

SRIV94

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2004, 04:48:34 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 03:38 PM\'] Only 814?!  Well, that's one more thing you're wrong about! j/k [/quote]
 I was only counting the last three hours.  If you add the rest of my time on this board, it's closer to 951 mistakes.  :)

Doug
Doug

Don Howard

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2004, 04:51:14 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 01:33 PM\'] Jo Anne Worley (not a host per se[/i [/quote]
 Not a host per se? Not a host at all.
I don't eat Shredded Wheat per se. I don't eat Shredded Wheat at all.

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2004, 04:53:14 PM »
IIRC correctly:

Brian Cummings and Jo Anne Worley both did voice work in Disney's "Beauty & The Beast."

Cummings played the voice of the Stove, and Worley played the voice of the Wardrobe.

Chief-O

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2004, 05:11:27 PM »
>> Also according to IMDB, another White--Vanna--did the voice of Lauri Saunders on Captain Planet.
And there was another game show legend who lent his voice to that show...Gene Wood. However, I don't know exactly which episode it was.
.....and it goes like this!!!

Robair

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2004, 05:14:27 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 01:12 PM\'] John O'Hurley provided the voice of a cult leader in an early episode of Family Guy.
 [/quote]
 And he was also King Neptune in an episode of "SpongeBob SquarePants".
--Robair