Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Family Feud 1987 pilot  (Read 12800 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Re: Family Feud 1987 pilot
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2016, 10:40:18 PM »
Very interesting that, for the sweeps, Name That Tune was a Top 15 show that actually performed better than quite a few first-run shows (game or otherwise) that were renewed (LMaD, TTD, $ale).
That was something that stuck out to me as well.  Did the ratings slide off the cliff in the last three months, or were there issues with the syndicator, etc.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

14gameshows

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2016, 10:07:53 AM »
Thanks snowpeck for the link.

Interesting tidbits for sure.

Between the two B&E shows, did Tic Tac Dough always perform better than The Joker's Wild? Another question I have about those two shows is, Did TTD get the prime access slots around the country? I was reading an old newspaper clipping in my hometown and saw where TJW came on at 5pm on our local ABC station but TTD was paired with Entertainment Tonight at the 7pm hour. (mind you this was right before the whole WoF craze, circa '81-82 season)

Scrabbleship

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2016, 02:25:23 PM »
Very interesting that, for the sweeps, Name That Tune was a Top 15 show that actually performed better than quite a few first-run shows (game or otherwise) that were renewed (LMaD, TTD, $ale).

The criteria that Genesis put forth for syndie $ale (the show had to be on access or later and could only do early fringe if the NBC station in the market didn't air daytime $ale*) kept clearances low and they either lacked some pretty big markets (LA and DC for two) and had spotty clearances in others (constant preemptions on WOR in NYC for sports, being on the 4th tier indie in Boston). Modifying the rule for season 2 to allow any post-daytime airing allowed for more stations but in turn the show got weaker.

I'm more amazed that TJW lasted as long as it did though having some strategic clearances (the aforementioned WOR in the heyday of superstations) probably helped a ton.

* e.g. The Albany, NY market had WTEN airing the first season of syndie $ale at 5:30 PM while WNYT never cleared the NBC version at all.

BrandonFG

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2016, 02:54:18 PM »
Between the two B&E shows, did Tic Tac Dough always perform better than The Joker's Wild?
Going off my memory from the World Almanacs, yes. TTD was consistently in the Top 5 or 10 in the early-80s, prolly fueled by Thom McKee's run, as Travis noted. That streak apparently eroded around the time Wheel premiered.

If I can find some older World Almanacs at my school's library, I'll try and snap a few pics or somehow scan the pages.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

BrandonFG

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2016, 03:58:27 PM »
Okay...so I looked through World Almanacs from 1981-86. The syndie ratings are for the November sweeps for 1979-84, with 1983 missing. Apparently someone ripped out that page for his or her own personal reference on another message board. :P Below are November 1980, '81 and '84.

In November 1984, Feud was still a Top 5 show, even though Wheel was beating it almost 2:1. Up until at least 1983, Tic Tac Dough routinely beat Joker. FWIW, Feud pulled a 12.4 in Nov. 1982, and again, went to about an 8-something in 1983.

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

14gameshows

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2016, 09:04:54 AM »
Thanks again BrandonFG!

Not to go off topic but I only want to know, why are some shows getting massive rating or ratings shares for children?

M*A*S*H (6.7)
Happy Days Again (12.3)
Sanford and Son (6.5) <<< this I would like to know why.

Lavern & Shirley (11.4)

Fascinating stuff here.

MODS, if I'm going way off topic I apologize. I don't want to slide in to off-topic world that much.