Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $ale Tidbits Early in the Run  (Read 4722 times)

TheInquisitiveOne

$ale Tidbits Early in the Run
« on: January 20, 2004, 12:44:42 AM »
Good evening everyone!

I just recently struck a deal in which I get some episodes of $ale of the Century from early in the run (late 1983 - early 1984). I looked at the list, and I am rather baffled at the results. I have some questions.

(1) There have been occasions where contestants were able to win the cash jackpot but did not win that much more with that - there were even some cases where contestants did not even reach the $100,000 mark. How was that possible? (One thoery of mine is that the cash jackpot was a stand-alone prize before the "all the prizes plus the cash jackpot" tier was created.)

(2) There was a fourth hostess of $ale. She did one show, and her name was Lou Melford. Are any of you familiar with that name (international or otherwise)?

(3) Can somebody estimate when in 1984 the Winner's Board was put into effect on NBC?

(4) Finally, in a subject not-so related to this topic, whenever someone wins a car from the Winner's Board, does he or she end up with the car that was won that weekday, or does he or she win the car won at the end of his or her run, whenever that may be?

Thanks in advance for the responses!

The Inquisitive One

(This post is dedicated to Bob Staub, whom I owe greatly for giving me these rare gems.)
This is the Way.

J.R.

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2004, 02:08:33 AM »
Out of curiosity: Would any of these eps feature our favorite hostess, Sally Jullian ?

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

Don Howard

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2004, 06:41:50 AM »
There have been occasions where contestants were able to win the cash jackpot but did not win that much more with that - there were even some cases where contestants did not even reach the $100,000 mark. How was that possible? (One thoery of mine is that the cash jackpot was a stand-alone prize before the "all the prizes plus the cash jackpot" tier was created.)

The theory is correct. At the time, after the car came the cash followed by the cash plus all of the prizes.

Can somebody estimate when in 1984 the Winner's Board was put into effect on NBC?

Mid-Autumn '84 (either October or November)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 06:42:23 AM by Don Howard »

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2004, 11:57:26 AM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 02:08 AM\'] Out of curiosity: Would any of these eps feature our favorite hostess, Sally Jullian ?

-Joe R. [/quote]
 Oh, goodness no. By the time the cash jackpot was established, Sally was long gone. She was ousted in March and, if I recall, the cash jackpot was established in May.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2004, 12:03:19 PM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Jan 19 2004, 11:44 PM\'] (2) There was a fourth hostess of $ale. She did one show, and her name was Lou Melford. Are any of you familiar with that name (international or otherwise)?
 [/quote]
 She did more than one show (although she probably did only one that you got).  Lee Menning was expecting during her tenure as hostess, and Lou filled in for her as circumstances warranted (if I'm not mistaken, she was one of $otC's models/prize displayers).

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

joe_capitano

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2004, 01:27:00 PM »
After $ale, Lou Mulford turned up at Pat Robertson's short-lived FitTV network as a presenter. That's the last time I remember seeing her on the air.

Rastaub

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2004, 06:15:17 PM »
JRaygor Posted on Jan 20 2004, 02:08 AM
  Out of curiosity: Would any of these eps feature our favorite hostess, Sally Jullian ?

Joe, speaking as the person who is sending TIO, the episodes,  No, Salli isnt on any of them, but Lou's 1st episode was the premiere of the winners board.

I will ask a question myself, on a few of these episodes from 84, it is supposedly College Week, but the contestants easily look to be over 30, much less in College.  Can anyone explain that?

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2004, 06:30:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Rastaub\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 06:15 PM\'] I will ask a question myself, on a few of these episodes from 84, it is supposedly College Week, but the contestants easily look to be over 30, much less in College.  Can anyone explain that? [/quote]
 Maybe they're like me, having returned to college after about more than a few years away from collegiate life because the working world sorta sucks unless you have a degree, and even that's not a guarantee of a halfway decent position.

I filled out a WoF College Contestant form earlier this month.  All it states is that the student must be a full-time undergrad student 18 years of age or older.  There were no upper end age limitations.  The same was true with the Hardball Hot Seat competition I took part in about 15 months ago.

Rastaub

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2004, 06:51:44 PM »
hmtriplecrown Posted on Jan 20 2004, 06:30 PM
  QUOTE (Rastaub @ Jan 20 2004, 06:15 PM)
I will ask a question myself, on a few of these episodes from 84, it is supposedly College Week, but the contestants easily look to be over 30, much less in College. Can anyone explain that?  

Maybe they're like me, having returned to college after about more than a few years away from collegiate life because the working world sorta sucks unless you have a degree, and even that's not a guarantee of a halfway decent position.

Well, I suppose that could be a possibilty, as there are alot of people like yourself, however the contestants (male and female) on all three episodes each, look that old. I found it odd that none of the contestants even looked close to college age, the champ was actually married. From the pictures I have seen of you Mike, you dont look anywhere near as old as these contestants.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2004, 07:01:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Rastaub\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 06:51 PM\'] Well, I suppose that could be a possibilty, as there are alot of people like yourself, however the contestants (male and female) on all three episodes each, look that old. I found it odd that none of the contestants even looked close to college age, the champ was actually married. From the pictures I have seen of you Mike, you dont look anywhere near as old as these contestants. [/quote]
 I guess my anti-aging formula (patent pending) really does work!

I'm not 30...yet.  Give me another 13 1/2 months.  The grey hair and wrinkles will be magnetically attracted to me once I hit the 30 mark.

zachhoran

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2004, 07:18:54 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 07:01 PM\']
I'm not 30...yet.  Give me another 13 1/2 months.  The grey hair and wrinkles will be magnetically attracted to me once I hit the 30 mark. [/quote]
 THen when you hit 30, ladies a decade older than you with two grandkids might want to date you, G-d only knows.

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2004, 07:38:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Rastaub\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 06:15 PM\'] JRaygor Posted on Jan 20 2004, 02:08 AM

Joe, speaking as the person who is sending TIO, the episodes,  No, Salli isnt on any of them, but Lou's 1st episode was the premiere of the winners board.

I will ask a question myself, on a few of these episodes from 84, it is supposedly College Week, but the contestants easily look to be over 30, much less in College.  Can anyone explain that? [/quote]
 Maybe it's your mind playing tricks on you; you know they're in their early-20s, but because it's from 20 years ago, they look older anyways. :-)

Seriously, I think people of that era simply looked more mature. I've gone through some Hampton yearbooks of that era, and a lot of students also looked older than their early-20s. :-/
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2004, 12:43:22 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 07:18 PM\'] THen when you hit 30, ladies a decade older than you with two grandkids might want to date you, G-d only knows. [/quote]
 Zach, if my life after 30 emulates yours in the least (based on what you've written here), I'll call Jack Kevorkian to see if he wants to make a few quick bucks.

Going back on-topic...sorta...I agree with Brandon re: college-aged students in the 80s.  One of my uncles would've been college-aged around 1984 and he looked like he was in his 30s at the time.

zachhoran

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2004, 07:59:12 AM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Jan 21 2004, 12:43 AM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 07:18 PM\'] THen when you hit 30, ladies a decade older than you with two grandkids might want to date you, G-d only knows. [/quote]
Zach, if my life after 30 emulates yours in the least (based on what you've written here), I'll call Jack Kevorkian to see if he wants to make a few quick bucks.

[/quote]
 I certainly don't think your life five years down the road will emulate mine. But there's still a chance someone a decade older may find you worth dating, I guess it's something to be flattered about...

MarkBarrett

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2004, 10:39:59 AM »
Bob - I think Joe Lasher was the carryover champ and continued his run against college students during the college week.  Anyone else remember the guy?  He looked like a combination of a dark-haired Robert Redford and someone from the  Kennedy clan.

Can anyone help with the names of champs from SOTC in the first year?  Barbara Phillips is memorable.  I remember Mort Kamins since he later appeared on J!  I think there were two other guys with names like Richard or Paul and one won the boat?  I have a vague memory of a 9-person TofC and want to recall the competitors.