Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC bringing back Match Game  (Read 94793 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: ABC bringing back Match Game
« Reply #255 on: July 20, 2016, 12:07:45 AM »
I may be making this up totally, but I recall a question about how sane people get their baby's shoes bronzed, but Dumb Donald getting his blank bronzed instead, and the primo answer was gold medal, which makes me chuckle a little. I think I would have struck out on the question we're discussing unless there was something that pointed toward a part of the body or more than just wax in general, but I wouldn't have tried out for MG in the first place, I'd try out for the show that precedes it.

/They wouldn't need to get six in. They could play the speed-up tie-break that has been referred to.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #256 on: July 20, 2016, 12:49:43 AM »
Okay, here's the deal:

There were two reasonable answers here: "legs" and some form of "vajayjay", because those are the two parts of the body a woman stereotypically has waxed. And the nature of MG is to reward the contestant who has the sack to go for the somewhat racier answer, so yeah, they're gonna be somewhat more generous there and accept "bikini" assuming the celebrity wanted to get the point across without actually writing down "p***y" or what have you.

And, again, to complain about it points out that you really don't have a good idea what a bikini wax actually is, which if you are over the age of about 20 you probably don't want to call attention to in a public forum.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #257 on: July 20, 2016, 12:55:48 AM »
I wasn't arguing the point because I didn't see the episode, I was asking for clarification because I hadn't seen the episode.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 01:10:06 AM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #258 on: July 20, 2016, 12:58:44 AM »
I wasn't arguing the point because I didn't see the episode, I was asking for clarification because I hadn't seen the episode.

Not suggesting you were. Just feels like the point is being belabored a little in general, and I wanted to make the point about racier answers enjoying more leniency.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #259 on: July 20, 2016, 01:12:57 AM »
So her question was certainly very easy to 6/6 on, which brings up another question. What was the first tiebreak question and why was it so easy that the guy could get 6/6 on it? As much as some people have had problems with the differing difficulties of the questions in Round 2 in this series, I find it very odd that they would put two questions in a tiebreaker that would essentially force another tiebreaker.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #260 on: July 20, 2016, 01:14:21 AM »
I appreciate those who were able to get the point across without resorting to CAPS LOCK in place of bold or run-on sentences.

Sure, it's their game and if the rules allow for it then I've no beef. I do however find it a touch silly that they can't squeeze out some of the happy talk to play a tie-break if it came to it. Since neither Nick Mahut nor John Isner will be contestants it could be done quickly.

I guess I'll belabor this because I'm here, but the big turn-off for me and why I bailed out after the first week is that the humor is similar to a game of Cards Against Humanity: forced crudeness and "yup, you went there" rather than cleverness.
Travis L. Eberle

whewfan

« Reply #261 on: July 20, 2016, 06:50:41 AM »
Knowing that they cut out part of the tiebreaker round for the sake of saving time, one way they could've left in the tiebreaker was to cut away some of Leslie's antics... okay some people may think it's funny, so it was left in, but still, it was overkill. Then again, maybe leaving it in would give reason to NOT have her on again. Of course the 70s version had its fair share of bad panelists, but they had to do 5 shows, plus one more for the PM version. Names that come to mind, Alex Karras (looked bored, didn't want to be there), Don Adams (he's just not funny when he's himself), Robert Morse (gave away TWO answers, and also hinted at an answer when he acted like a monkey, and his answer was "ape")

Also, I thought the question writing for this episode was better, and more in line with the classic MG 70s type questions. Yes there's always room for improvement but I anticipate the show will get better. Looking forward to seeing Jason Alexander on the show.

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #262 on: July 20, 2016, 11:26:39 AM »
So her question was certainly very easy to 6/6 on, which brings up another question. What was the first tiebreak question and why was it so easy that the guy could get 6/6 on it? As much as some people have had problems with the differing difficulties of the questions in Round 2 in this series, I find it very odd that they would put two questions in a tiebreaker that would essentially force another tiebreaker.
Aside from the last question (which scored 5 points for "bikini area" and 1 for "legs"), every single celebrity matched every other celebrity on every single question of the match.  I think the celebrities were conferring a lot more than usual to share answers, which might have had something to do with it.

BillCullen1

« Reply #263 on: July 24, 2016, 12:07:16 PM »
Looking forward to seeing Jason Alexander on the show.

Tonight's show also features Niecy Nash, David Alan Grier and Sheryl Crow.

BillCullen1

« Reply #264 on: July 27, 2016, 02:11:36 PM »
I liked it when Jason walked over to the contestant who said "hair." For the Super Match, I would have struck out with FACE _____. I would've said Face to face or Face the music, neither of which made the top three. For the other Super Match, I would've said "French fries" over "French kiss." and for the Head to Head, I would have said Wonder Bread over Wonder Woman.

Unrealtor

« Reply #265 on: August 01, 2016, 11:25:33 PM »
In the spirit of the "contesants on other shows" posts that used to happen years ago, I give you "furniture on other shows": The chairs used on the Match Game set appear to be the same model as the famous chair on the set of Mastermind.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

BillCullen1

« Reply #266 on: August 02, 2016, 01:14:26 AM »
The show airing on 8/1 was the show where I sat behind the celebs. Behind the triangles that light up red and green are holes that hold the celebs glasses of water - or whatever.

BrandonFG

« Reply #267 on: August 02, 2016, 04:46:24 PM »
Behind the triangles that light up red and green are holes that hold the celebs glasses of water - or whatever.
I've seen wine quite a few times. :P

There's a behind the scenes pic somewhere that shows that side of the desks.

The show has gotten kinda predictable, in that, if it comes down to a potential tie and the contestant trails by 1......they're most likely gonna lose by 1 because the tying celeb always gives an off the wall answer.

/At least Ali "offered" to write the contestant a check
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!