Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC bringing back Match Game  (Read 95624 times)

tpirfan28

Re: ABC bringing back Match Game
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 09:53:58 AM »
Serious question: which executive at ABC is the game show fan?
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

chad1m

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 09:59:37 AM »
Signs point to Robert Mills, ABC's Head of Alternative Programming since last February. He posted this foreshadowing tweet of a skinny microphone yesterday.

tvwxman

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 10:19:38 AM »
It's always fun to speculate who would be a great Match Game host. I imagine it's a difficult job - reining in 6 comedians while trying to be a little funny (but not upstagingly) yourself.

I always imagined Seth MacFarlane or Jane Lynch could pull it off. But Alec Baldwin? That's brilliant. He's perfect for this - dry wit, star power, quick sense of humor, intelligent. Great pick.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

dale_grass

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 11:13:34 AM »
The news instantly reminded me of this:

Charles Nelson Reilly on Inside the Actors Studio (SNL)

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 11:19:14 AM »
It caught me off guard at first, but knowing how well he did on 30 Rock, I'm liking the pick more and more. Obviously the right panel matters, but I imagine there will be a few ABC show stars.

ObNerd: counting the Game Show Marathon one-off, MG will have now aired in six consecutive decades
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

weaklink75

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 11:51:51 AM »
I agree that the panel selection is going to be vital to this..and the question writing too (you don't want to go over-the-top every time); I would hope they get Bob Boden to help run things (he worked on the version Canada did a few years back).

It's going to be interesting to see how this Sunday schedule works out for ABC this summer- potential big upside, and not a lot of downside because the shows are cheap to do.

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 11:56:29 AM »
I agree that the panel selection is going to be vital to this..and the question writing too (you don't want to go over-the-top every time); I would hope they get Bob Boden to help run things (he worked on the version Canada did a few years back).
I know Feud gets a lot of flack from forum members (myself included), but this is the one show that obviously doesn't hurt from the innuendo. You have the perfect time slot for bawdy humor, just don't overdo it like they did in '98.

Also, take a page from @midnight with the panel humor. They seem to have the right balance of wackiness, without letting the inmates run the asylum. That also killed the '98 version, IMO.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TimK2003

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 12:05:43 PM »
This is going to make a fine way to end a weekend!!!

With all of these shows coming back, albeit in limited runs, how many primetime game shows will that now make for this spring/summer?  Here is what I have on my scorecard (6):

• Match Game
• $100,000 Pyramid
• Celeb Feud
• 500 Questions
• To Tell The Truth
• The Price Is Right

Not sure if Hollywood Game Night will be airing shows this summer.  Anything missed?

That Don Guy

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 12:09:00 PM »
Signs point to Robert Mills, ABC's Head of Alternative Programming since last February. He posted this foreshadowing tweet of a skinny microphone yesterday.
...who probably noticed how well Hollywood Game Night does in the ratings for NBC.

weaklink75

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 02:38:09 PM »

Bob Zager

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 06:23:40 PM »
I not only hope for the best of all these shows, but I'd also like to see new home versions come out!

tpirfan28

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 06:24:52 PM »
Hope all this works out for the network (and him).  Lots of good games and hopefully good hosting choices as well.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Sodboy13

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 06:26:10 PM »
I love ABC's big summer game show push, but I just can't fathom how this one goes well at all.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 08:12:35 PM »
I love ABC's big summer game show push, but I just can't fathom how this one goes well at all.
Wrong host, wrong era, wrong prize money.
Travis L. Eberle