Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sports Jeopardy To End After 2 Seasons  (Read 7254 times)

TimK2003

Sports Jeopardy To End After 2 Seasons
« on: April 07, 2016, 02:02:36 PM »
FWIW, per yesterday's episode of Stu's Show (4/6), it was revealed that Sony/Crackle will not be giving Sports Jeopardy! a third season.

It was said that there still remains 12 episodes of Season 2 to be shot later this spring. 

No word on how long SJ! will be available on Crackle once the rest of the Season 2 episodes are released, but it's probably safe to say that it will be quite a while.

Johnissoevil

Re: Sports Jeopardy To End After 2 Seasons
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 12:34:33 AM »
Sorry to see it go.  I didn't think a version of Jeopardy! based on a specific theme could work, until R&R J! proved me wrong back in the day.  Anyhow, it was fun while it lasted.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

Thunder

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 01:18:54 AM »
I like Jeopardy. I like sports. That being said, I never took the time to even figure out what the hell Crackle is/was.

If it wasn't for this board, I'd never have even known that the show existed.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 01:01:30 AM »
This was the big issue I think with Sports Jeopardy. Sure, streaming services are becoming more and more popular but I don't think we're at the point yet where people are going to actively seek out certain types of shows on these services (game shows being one of them).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 01:11:02 AM »
Why not? What if it was on Netflix or Amazon Prime?
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 01:48:31 AM »
Why not? What if it was on Netflix or Amazon Prime?

I don't think it would've made a difference.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

DoItRockapella

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 09:23:32 PM »
Forgive me for bumping, but Variety has a report from Crackle's upfront - it looks to me like Sports Jeopardy is not only renewed, it's going to be shown on television on NBC Sports Network.

http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/sony-crackle-virtual-reality-art-of-more-supermansion-1201757425/

Am I wrong? Will NBCSN just be showing episodes that have already been released online?

colonial

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 09:37:35 PM »
This is from Crackle's press release, sent following their upfront earlier today, courtesy Futon Critic ...

CRACKLE'S LIVE WEEKLY QUIZ SHOW, 'SPORTS JEOPARDY!' WITH DAN PATRICK, INKS ONE-OF-A-KIND DEAL WITH NBC UNIVERSAL; EPISODES WILL AIR ON NBCSN BEGINNING AUGUST 6 AFTER NIGHTLY RIO OLYMPICS COVERAGE

New Episodes of Sports Quiz Show Debut on Crackle Every Wednesday Night

NBC Sports Group and Crackle will present "Sports Jeopardy!" on NBCSN following the network's nightly coverage of the Rio Olympics. NBCSN has acquired the exclusive television rights to the series hosted by Emmy Award-winning sportscaster Dan Patrick, which airs originally on Crackle. The 30-minute sports quiz show will air on NBCSN on Saturday, August 6, and will then air nightly for two consecutive weeks until the conclusion of the Games. Following a brief hiatus, "Sports Jeopardy!" will return in the fall of 2016 to air weekly on NBCSN immediately following the network's coverage of the NHL hockey game on 'Wednesday Night Rivalry.' NBC Sports commentators and highlights of NBC Sports live events will be incorporated into the show.

The multi-year agreement between NBC Sports Group and Crackle will include over 100 existing episodes plus any additional episodes of "Sports Jeopardy!" produced for Crackle. NBC Sports Live Extra, NBC Sports Group's live streaming product, will also stream episodes that are televised on NBCSN.

Sports Jeopardy! is executive produced by Harry Friedman and the multiple-Emmy Award winning team behind Jeopardy! Sports Jeopardy! is produced by Sony Pictures Television, a Sony Pictures Entertainment company.

Not sure where Shostak or whoever reporting the cancellation in the first place got their information, but it may have been a case of a third-season renewal being contingent on a TV deal being reached. I seem to recall Dan Patrick saying in interviews shortly after the show premiered that the goal for SJ! was to eventually have a traditional TV outlet.

JD

trainman

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 01:06:51 AM »
I wonder if this means they'll be shortening the episodes so that they fit into a 30-minute slot with commercials on NBCSN. They sometimes run over 25 minutes without commercials, although this week's is only 23:48. (This wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, since the interview segment does sometimes drag out a bit.)
trainman is a man of trains

Marc412

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 02:24:09 AM »
They'd most likely cut the postgame chat too.

colonial

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 03:07:00 PM »
Looks like the show is casting again as well. Just got an email inviting me to an audition next month. Not sure if I can attend, but we shall see.

JD

PYLdude

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2016, 01:35:44 AM »
I wonder if this means they'll be shortening the episodes so that they fit into a 30-minute slot with commercials on NBCSN. They sometimes run over 25 minutes without commercials, although this week's is only 23:48. (This wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, since the interview segment does sometimes drag out a bit.)

They'd most likely cut the postgame chat too.

I don't know how much cutting was done but Marc has it right. The credits start rolling just as Dan signs off and finish during post game handshakes.

Sodboy13

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2016, 08:56:50 PM »
Oh, sure, NBC, I will definitely suffer through an additional 30 minutes of Keith Jones, Mike Milbury, and/or Jeremy Roenick to catch a substandard version of a fading game show.

/just bring back darts or something
/or maybe supplemental hockey programming that doesn't insult my goddamn intelligence
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Thunder

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2016, 12:15:44 AM »
With your defection, that cuts the regular viewer count to 26.

PYLdude

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2016, 02:30:09 AM »
Oh, sure, NBC, I will definitely suffer through an additional 30 minutes of Keith Jones, Mike Milbury, and/or Jeremy Roenick to catch a substandard version of a fading game show.

/just bring back darts or something
/or maybe supplemental hockey programming that doesn't insult my goddamn intelligence

Who pissed in your oatmeal?