Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: BUZZR Game Show Host Bracket  (Read 39898 times)

jimlangefan

BUZZR Game Show Host Bracket
« on: March 11, 2016, 11:29:32 AM »
Most of you know by now that BUZZR is doing a Game Show bracket as their answer to March Madness.  I've attached the bracket below, hopefully it comes through okay, but I must say some of these are a tough call for me.  So I figured I would bring it here and get your opinions on this as well.  Could make for some very interesting discussion and of course the programming options would be an interesting discussion as well.  Especially when you see who is on the bracket. 

TV's Big Dealer

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Re: BUZZR Game Show Host Bracket
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 12:03:17 PM »
I find it unfortunate Jim Perry got stuck with Bob Barker.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Mr. Matté

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 12:09:41 PM »

But putting Bill against Mr. Let's-schmooze-with-the-celebs-for-five-minutes-then-blow-three-puzzles makes it easier on that side (plus the literal sibling rivalry above it).

TimK2003

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 12:58:14 PM »
Seeing all the headshots of the emcees, I can't help but think of the "creepy" headshot of this game show personality:

https://youtu.be/hB9TanZindg?t=11m33s

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 04:18:44 PM »
I can think of no one more qualified to take Bob out in a first-round.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 05:47:19 PM »

I agree, but I took one look at that bracket and, knowing what I do about the fan(boi) base, said "Tomarken v. Barker in the finals, bank on it." I think that was Mark's point...you could put Barker up against Jeebus Christ in a Who Could Turn Water Into Wine Better bracket and the Barker fans would come out of the woodwork to support their surrogate daddy.

I'd love to be wrong.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 06:00:47 PM »
At first I said "Joe Garagiola?" but forgot that he hosted To Tell the Truth for a while.
Travis L. Eberle

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 06:42:14 PM »
At first I said "Joe Garagiola?" but forgot that he hosted To Tell the Truth for a while.

As well as "$ale of the Century"
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 07:19:16 PM »

As well as "$ale of the Century"
And let us not forget Joe Garagiola's Memory Game.

SuperSweeper

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 07:21:45 PM »

No love for Strike it Rich?    ;)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2016, 07:42:34 PM »
This is excellent news that BUZZR has picked up three shows no one has heard of or cared about. My assumption was that these were all hosts of current programming on the channel.
Travis L. Eberle

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2016, 08:27:08 PM »
My assumption was that these were all hosts of current programming on the channel.
I think it's simpler than that: all of them, at some point, hosted a game show that's owned by Fremantle*. That's why Pat Sajak is an interesting inclusion for me, since as far as I know the only game show of his that falls under the Fremantle umbrella is the unsold Puzzlers.

I think the only host in the bracket who hasn't appeared on Buzzr programming yet is Barker: Sajak was on the debut week of Super Password, IIRC Eubanks has only appeared by way of some Trivia Trap clips Buzzr used in their Pick & Play Sweepstakes promos back in October, and everybody else either has a series currently on the schedule or one Buzzr pulled out for special programming (Joe Garagiola with He Said She Said, Allen Ludden with Password/Password Plus, Ray Combs with his era of Family Feud, and Jack Narz with Now You See It).

(*Or, heck, if you wanted to limit it further: all of them hosted a game show for Mark Goodson.)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 08:44:22 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Winkfan

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2016, 08:44:59 PM »
What?! No Bud Collyer?!?!

Maybe they're saving him for their "Monochrome Madness Tourney....."

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2016, 12:39:19 AM »

I agree, but I took one look at that bracket and, knowing what I do about the fan(boi) base, said "Tomarken v. Barker in the finals, bank on it." I think that was Mark's point...you could put Barker up against Jeebus Christ in a Who Could Turn Water Into Wine Better bracket and the Barker fans would come out of the woodwork to support their surrogate daddy.

I'd love to be wrong.
I mean, I know that a lot of game show "fans" have huddled around Buzzr since its inception, but I have to believe that the general public that also consumes Buzzr would probably get behind Barker simply because of his revered status in pop culture.

I'm thinking Barker and Trebek in the Final with Barker taking it all. I'd like to see Cullen make a deep run. We'll see if anybody has good taste. I wonder if Sajak makes a deep run, they'll pull out the Puzzlers pilot. That'd be neat. Not holding high hopes for Price making a surprise appearance if Barker wins.

No love for Strike it Rich?    ;)
How about any love for the only other show of his the network as shown so far? He Said, She Said.

What?! No Bud Collyer?!?!
Seriously speaking, I'd love a smaller "old-timers" bracket to run concurrent or something. Include Daly, Moore, Allen, Collyer. Toss in Fadiman and RQL. Maybe even have Cullen in that one too!
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2016, 12:59:39 AM »
How about any love for the only other show of his the network as shown so far? He Said, She Said.
Cosign. It's a good show, and paved the way for a(n arguably) better one.

Seriously speaking, I'd love a smaller "old-timers" bracket to run concurrent or something. Include Daly, Moore, Allen, Collyer. Toss in Fadiman and RQL. Maybe even have Cullen in that one too!
How about Merv Griffin? I thought he did pretty well with Play Your Hunch and when he subbed for Collyer on To Tell The Truth. Dick Clark could technically be in there as well, since he did Missing Links in '64.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...