Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fremantle sued over "BUZZR" name  (Read 10476 times)

Winkfan

Fremantle sued over "BUZZR" name
« on: February 23, 2016, 06:35:48 PM »
That is, according to Variety; here's the link:

http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/fremantlemedia-buzzr-lawsuit-1201712899/

Could this mean BUZZR will eventually close up shop? I hope not, it hasn't even come to Santa Barbara, yet.....

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

BrandonFG

Re: Fremantle sued over "BUZZR" name
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 06:41:29 PM »
Could this mean BUZZR will eventually close up shop? I hope not, it hasn't even come to Santa Barbara, yet.....
I highly doubt it. At worst, they (the channel) has to change or alter the name to avoid confusion.

I wouldn't be surprised if the case gets thrown out, though. Can't think of a precedent off the top of my head, except for that time Spike Lee tried to force Spike TV to change its name for a similar reason. Obviously, it didn't stand; IIRC, it just remained TNN for a few more months.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 07:16:41 PM »
Could this mean BUZZR will eventually close up shop?
Been talking to Darryl Heine, I see.

--Mark
Phil 4:13

pacdude

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 09:33:13 PM »
Hmm. Why didn't I think of that?

aaron sica

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 09:24:58 AM »
Could this mean BUZZR will eventually close up shop?
Been talking to Darryl Heine, I see.

Nah. She didn't end sentences with "or something like that?".

petek66

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 09:52:04 PM »
Do their blogging tools republish the same blogs every three weeks?  If not, no chance for confusion with the game show channel.

JonSea31

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 03:14:05 PM »
If anything, Fremantle may pay settlement to the original website host and may continue using the Buzzr name as long as Fremantle pays a fee.

But knowing Fremantle, they feel they have to fight their side, which may also explain two ongoing model lawsuits with TPIR (one of them just entered its seventh year) and no end in sight.
I am developing classic game show PC games.
If you'd like to find out information about them, PM me anytime.

cmjb13

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 08:51:48 PM »
If anything, Fremantle may pay settlement to the original website host and may continue using the Buzzr name as long as Fremantle pays a fee.

But knowing Fremantle, they feel they have to fight their side, which may also explain two ongoing model lawsuits with TPIR (one of them just entered its seventh year) and no end in sight.
Brandi Sherwood is one. Who is the other?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 12:15:31 AM »

Brandi Sherwood is one. Who is the other?
I think Lanisha Cole had brought up a suit after her departure from the show. When the news first came out, some of the things she described resembled the things Holly complained about. I guess it hasn't been resolved yet.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Dbacksfan12

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 11:05:35 AM »
Well, at least Lanisha didn't get fired.  But Brandi did.

Or maybe Brandi walked off the show while she was pregnant (the behavior being a product of what I suspect to be a mental breakdown since 2007) ,
So in addition to being a lawyer, now you're an expert at diagnosing psychiatric conditions?
Or, she could have been fired, by definition of "fired".  There's a big difference between "fired" and "layoff." "Fired" means you are terminated for conduct problems. 
And many other reasons, such as being too pretty. Or the boss doesn't like you.  Or because you're terrible at the job.

Obviously you learned nothing from the last time you commented on this subject.
--Mark

cmjb13

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 01:42:46 PM »
According to this article, Lanisha settled in 2013.

http://www.law360.com/articles/438178/ex-price-is-right-model-settles-sexual-harassment-suit

I believe Brandi's lawsuit is the only one outstanding.

Has there ever been a time since Dian left that the show has not been in some form of litigation?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

JonSea31

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 02:07:39 PM »
According to this article, Lanisha settled in 2013.

http://www.law360.com/articles/438178/ex-price-is-right-model-settles-sexual-harassment-suit

I believe Brandi's lawsuit is the only one outstanding.

Has there ever been a time since Dian left that the show has not been in some form of litigation?

If I were to guess, probably 2007 to 2009, when Drew was host, no lawsuits prevailed.
I am developing classic game show PC games.
If you'd like to find out information about them, PM me anytime.

Thunder

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 03:45:07 PM »
Maybe I should stay away from such threads from now on.  It's too tempting to post when I had an obsessive crush on said woman when she used to be an active model, and was upset over her termination (and still can't get over it).  I have to admit, she was extremely pretty, and that's what sparked my obsessive crush, and it would only get stronger as Bob Barker was in his final years as host.

This is just seriously creepy. Like the restraining order type of creepy.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 04:15:25 PM »
Maybe I should stay away from such threads from now on.  It's too tempting to post when I had an obsessive crush on said woman when she used to be an active model, and was upset over her termination (and still can't get over it).  I have to admit, she was extremely pretty, and that's what sparked my obsessive crush, and it would only get stronger as Bob Barker was in his final years as host.

And maybe it isn't just these such threads he should stay away from.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Dbacksfan12

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2016, 04:43:40 PM »

And maybe it isn't just these such threads he should stay away from.
Since JonSea is in the habit of deleting his offensive posts. I screencapped his initial post, if anyone needs it.
--Mark