Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Wheel's never spun in primetime...  (Read 13387 times)

aaron sica

The Wheel's never spun in primetime...
« on: February 03, 2016, 10:01:53 AM »
TPiR has had its share of primetime runs over the years..The Feud is back in primetime again after many years..Jeopardy even had a primetime run back in 1990, and now Pyramid's going to primetime.

How come Wheel never got a chance?

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Re: The Wheel's never spun in primetime...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 10:58:59 AM »
I don't mean this to sound snarky, but what would be its gimmick?
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

aaron sica

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 11:11:38 AM »

No snarkiness came across to me. :) Well, Family Feud's primetime "pull" has always been celebrities...I would imagine that would work for Wheel as well. Have 3 celebrities play, and perhaps the winning celebrities would come back for a tournament..

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 01:24:59 PM »

No snarkiness came across to me. :) Well, Family Feud's primetime "pull" has always been celebrities...I would imagine that would work for Wheel as well. Have 3 celebrities play, and perhaps the winning celebrities would come back for a tournament..

I would watch a longer Wheel episode with three comedians playing strictly for laughs, the way they do 8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown in the UK.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

aaron sica

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 01:32:05 PM »
I would watch a longer Wheel episode with three comedians playing strictly for laughs, the way they do 8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown in the UK.

I don't think it would be too complicated to stretch a game out to an hour - perhaps bring back the "turn your backs" for a commercial break.

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 01:36:59 PM »
I could see it being cast members of whatever network show, or simply a cast member from three different shows. I'm thinking of how a tournament format could work over the course of an hour, maybe do two separate games per half hour and have the two winners face off in a special two-player speed round.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Fedya

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 03:03:39 PM »
New consonants.

/ducking
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 03:15:59 PM »
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 03:27:13 PM by Dbacksfan12 »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

CarbonCpy

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 05:37:33 PM »
New consonants.

/ducking

"Is there a shreb as in 'Shrebsivania?'"

tpirfan28

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 05:55:54 PM »
..Jeopardy even had a primetime run back in 1990...
Good thread to ask a question I've wondered about.  Was Super Jeopardy! brought about to prop up Monopoly, or was it already a "stand-alone" series?

If it wasn't already a firmly-cemented part of the regular series, a Celebrity Wheel/Celebrity Jeopardy hour in summer primetime I could see working well.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 06:00:59 PM »
Good thread to ask a question I've wondered about.  Was Super Jeopardy! brought about to prop up Monopoly, or was it already a "stand-alone" series?

If it wasn't already a firmly-cemented part of the regular series, a Celebrity Wheel/Celebrity Jeopardy hour in summer primetime I could see working well.
A chapter of Inside Jeopardy goes into this. My memory (and I'll check when I get home tonight, because it's a single dedicated chapter that covers summer 1990 and thus easy to track down) is that the sale of Monopoly to ABC was either contingent upon or leavened with the Super Jeopardy tournament, and that SJ wouldn't have existed in that form at that time without the pairing.
Travis L. Eberle

TimK2003

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 06:39:38 PM »
Perhaps the show could incorporate some of these suggestions (NSFW).

It would certainly liven up the "What Are You Doing?" category.

calliaume

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 07:16:41 PM »
TPiR has had its share of primetime runs over the years..The Feud is back in primetime again after many years..Jeopardy even had a primetime run back in 1990, and now Pyramid's going to primetime.

How come Wheel never got a chance?
I'm guessing because, unlike the shows listed above, Wheel 's syndicated edition has always been exclusively in early access (7:00 PM - 8:00 PM Eastern, your time may vary), so it might not have been appealing to any of the networks to put another version of it almost immediately thereafter.

Note Super Jeopardy! ran on Saturday evenings - I don't know if that was to avoid bumping up against the syndicated edition or not.  Jeopardy! isn't locked into early access, however.

Thunder

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 09:09:41 PM »
... - perhaps bring back the "turn your backs" for a commercial break.

99.68% of the viewers: "What the hell are they doing? That's stupid."
00.32% of the viewers: "Heh. They used to do that on the game a long time ago."

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 09:28:33 PM »
99.68% of the viewers: "What the hell are they doing? That's stupid."
00.32% of the viewers: "Heh. They used to do that on the game a long time ago."
The reason to have people turn away from the board is so that during a stop down they don't see something inadvertently. Jeopardy does it too. I don't think the show gains anything by placing a commercial break in a place where it hasn't been for about thirty years, even though they probably could wipe the board and bring it up again coming back from the ads.
Travis L. Eberle