Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "$100,000 Pyramid" primetime this summer on ABC  (Read 237393 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: "$100,000 Pyramid" primetime this summer on ABC
« Reply #345 on: June 28, 2016, 05:37:23 PM »
How is it not a glaring S&P violation to interfere with game play like that?

I recall he won a pile of money for Alzheimer's research on Millionaire when Cedric was hosting, so it's curious that he's so poor here. I get that the network wants to push him, but this was the wrong vehicle.
Travis L. Eberle

Neumms

« Reply #346 on: June 28, 2016, 05:55:53 PM »
There was enough clowning and down time that they could have done a Tiebreaker sprint: one team plays four words as fast as they can, measured to the tenth of a second. The other team then tries to beat that time. Done deal.

This. Give both the same letter for "words beginning with __" to cut out a couple of seconds choosing.

My other choice would be announce the game is tied, go to commercial, come back with winners in the winners' circle and say that they won a tie-breaker during the commercial. They could stick the tie-breaker online, but even if you don't bother to watch, it's no less satisfying than how they did it and it's way more fair. They could make it as many words as they wanted.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #347 on: June 28, 2016, 06:03:55 PM »
Just spitballing here, but they could take a page from the 70s nighttime version and if they just can't do a tiebreaker they could let the two contestants play the winner's circle and split the proceeds. Given that the players are giving the clues I bet they'd be OK with this as a choice.

If they're not going to do that, at least be more transparent about how they get to the results. "Wow, you had nine seconds left over, so we'll give you $100 per second saved and put $900 in your bank," and update that every time a team goes 7 for 7.
Travis L. Eberle

Neumms

« Reply #348 on: June 28, 2016, 06:11:30 PM »
That, and the static he gave the female player when she made the decision to give clues. Unprofessional as it gets, yo.

Aw, it was funny. Strahan gave him proper grief and took her side, after all.

I go easier on Anderson's interference, too. No harm was done, and now that it's happened once, it'll never happen again. Especially if Strahan had gone over and beaten the hell out of him. (Frankly I keep hoping the panel on a football pre-game will start throwing punches, too. Heck, Brent Musburger and Jimmy the Greek got into it, and they weren't even 'roided up ex-pros.)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #349 on: June 28, 2016, 06:15:22 PM »
I go easier on Anderson's interference, too. No harm was done,
That you know of.
Travis L. Eberle

Neumms

« Reply #350 on: June 28, 2016, 06:17:35 PM »
That you know of.

He didn't shake the chair THAT hard.

Casey

« Reply #351 on: June 28, 2016, 07:50:11 PM »
That you know of.
Did she lose the game due to it?  It was at the time the score was tied and she was giving the final clue to win the game.  Should he have done it?  No, but I'm not sure it needs to be the federal case that is being made...

Thunder

« Reply #352 on: June 28, 2016, 09:40:49 PM »
I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition over this.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #353 on: June 28, 2016, 09:56:00 PM »

No one does.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Flerbert419

« Reply #354 on: June 28, 2016, 10:01:22 PM »
There's plenty of celebrity briefing and practice OFFERED. If you're a big-deal sitcom star, you might blow it off.

One of the celebrities during my taping was taking advantage of the practice session as I was walking in. There was a stand in host and partner to help them play both the main game and Winner's Circle.

There was a noticeable improvement made between the beginning of the practice session and the actual show. It was almost like the person's stunt double came out to play.

Unrealtor

« Reply #355 on: June 28, 2016, 10:39:23 PM »
My gut feeling is that he was trying to cover his nerves by turning the comedy up to 11, and it only got worse when he wasn't doing well. It's not the worst instinct for a comedian to have, but this was a situation that called for more restraint.

If I were the producer, I wouldn't have him banned from the studio, but I'd probably think twice before inviting him back.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #356 on: June 28, 2016, 11:44:18 PM »

What a show. . .

/Happy 90th, Mel.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #357 on: June 29, 2016, 01:53:24 AM »
There was a noticeable improvement made between the beginning of the practice session and the actual show. It was almost like the person's stunt double came out to play.

"I'm available!"
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

KrisW73

« Reply #358 on: June 29, 2016, 09:42:31 AM »

No one does.

Bravo!!  :D

EDIT - I think a mountain is being made of a molehill - if he had interfered and cost the civilian the point it's a different story.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #359 on: June 29, 2016, 11:58:20 AM »
EDIT - I think a mountain is being made of a molehill - if he had interfered and cost the civilian the point it's a different story.

Why does it make him less of a dick if his effort to distract worked as opposed to not?

In sports, everyone has a shiatfit if two athletes commit the exact same infraction, but one is punished more than another based on the level to which the offended party was affected. What's the difference?

(To those of you saying "what's the big deal?": obviously, in the grand scheme of things, it's not. This is a discussion of intent and etiquette.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe