Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "$100,000 Pyramid" primetime this summer on ABC  (Read 237089 times)

Neumms

Re: "$100,000 Pyramid" primetime this summer on ABC
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2016, 04:53:03 PM »
Maybe I underestimate him, but as far as brightness goes, Strahan seems a lot closer to Donny than Dick. Gosh, Tom Bergeron, another ABC guy, would have been a great choice.

How's this for a format? One hour, four celebrities, four civilians, three games. First two games, winners play for, oh, $25,000. Third game, the winning pairs play each other. Final Winners' Circle is for $50,000...but if they won the $25,000 in their first attempt, it's the $100K grand prize. Maybe for the final it's 10 subjects in, say, 90 seconds.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2016, 05:11:48 PM »
How's this for a format? One hour, four celebrities, four civilians, three games.
I don't mind the idea of a bracket tournament where the night's winner goes for the prize in the title, but I mind cleaving out an entire main-bonus game segment.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2016, 06:06:32 PM »
I love how we're already throwing the host choice under the bus when the show hasn't even conducted auditions yet.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2016, 06:07:55 PM »
I love how we're already throwing the host choice under the bus when the show hasn't even conducted auditions yet.
I'm not familiar at all with any of his on-camera work so I'm standing down and being cautiously optimistic.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2016, 06:13:04 PM »
I'm not familiar at all with any of his on-camera work so I'm standing down and being cautiously optimistic.

As am I, and I'm more familiar with the man's work (well, somewhat...Fox NFL Sunday mostly, have only seen him on the morning soiree a handful of times).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Thunder

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2016, 01:21:38 AM »
Occam's Razor tells me that the chances are much higher having eight stand-alone shows than a tournament format.

BrandonFG

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2016, 02:14:15 AM »
In that case, I like Neumms's format. That way, ABC can air out of order if they wish (and you know they prolly will).

But with an hour-long format, could they not get four games in? Feels like there would be a lot of padding with three matches. With Celebrity Feud, you get more leeway to cut up. With civilian contestants, I think you get something like Hollywood Game Night, where it becomes more about the stars.

Also...it hasn't been confirmed that it'll be one hour. Perhaps ABC simply airs a half-hour Feud, followed by a half-hour Pyramid. Noooo...that would never work! :P

/FWIW, Strahan has shown himself to have some pretty solid broadcasting chops, both on FOX and his morning show
//I believe he won a Daytime Emmy for the latter
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Thunder

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2016, 11:08:32 PM »
We both know the business and economics rather well. Let's look at this from that higher ground that we occupy (and it's a pleasure to have this kind of business discussion with somebody like you).

Networks want to fill summer programming blocks with as little programming and promotion cost as they can. They will have already invested the capital to build the set and make the promotional material, so the costs of making a 60-minute show isn't much more than a 30-minute show. Also, a 30-minute show gives what little audience you have a chance to change the channel at the bottom of the hour. Finally, I look at the history of throwaway summer game-type programming where 60 minute shows have been the norm recently

The Razor tells me 60-minute shows.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2016, 02:48:03 AM »
How's this for a format? One hour, four celebrities, four civilians, three games.
I don't mind the idea of a bracket tournament where the night's winner goes for the prize in the title, but I mind cleaving out an entire main-bonus game segment.
My thought was four games with the first three games acting as qualifiers, the Winner's Circle being worth $25,000. The final game features the two winners of the first three games that had the fastest time up the pyramid/the most money on the pyramid going for the $100,000.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2016, 03:36:36 PM »
My thought was four games with the first three games acting as qualifiers, the Winner's Circle being worth $25,000. The final game features the two winners of the first three games that had the fastest time up the pyramid/the most money on the pyramid going for the $100,000.
I didn't like it when Hollywood Squares used money won as the qualifier for the semi-final round of their college tournament. I didn't like it when University Challenge used total points scored as the qualifier for the main rounds in their special mini-series tournaments. I see no reason that I would like it here, especially when a tie-break might come down to seconds.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2016, 05:32:58 PM »
I had an idea similar to this. Since I don't think you'll have multiple Winner's Circle champions, I say use the two best Winner's Circle totals to qualify (the odd man/woman out keeps his or her money). If all three climbed the Pyramid, then you go by fastest times.

Now if there's a tie there, I dunno what you do. Best main game score? Flip a coin? Off-camera tiebreaker match?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2016, 07:07:45 PM »
Now if there's a tie there, I dunno what you do. Best main game score? Flip a coin? Off-camera tiebreaker match?

Strength of schedule. The one stuck with Lenny Krazelburg as a partner goes through.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Sodboy13

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2016, 11:38:35 PM »

Strength of schedule. The one stuck with Lenny Krazelburg as a partner goes through.

Brought to you by the College Football Playoff on ESPN!

/feel the synergy
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

tidefan12

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2016, 10:18:50 AM »

A nightmare I lived in real life in 2003 :-)