Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $25k Pyramid: Cancellation and resurrection  (Read 17384 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Re: $25k Pyramid: Cancellation and resurrection
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2015, 07:36:20 PM »
That said, the next version of Pyramid will have no spoken words....The celebrity  texting the contestant the words, and the contestant texting back the answer. :)

>   /= LOL

>   :'-(

ding

You win teh thread.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2015, 08:59:27 PM »
(I personally bristle when my sister says "say again?", but only because I find it brusque and rude when compared to "I beg your pardon, could you please repeat that?")

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

CoreyArcher

• Pick a corner
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2015, 10:03:25 PM »

I get aggravated at people who use false lamentations to indict society on mythical problems.

I do too, but a general decline in our nation's literacy sharpness isn't a mythical problem. Ask anyone in education.

That said, it shouldn't mean there can't be a competent version of Pyramid on the air today.

Thunder

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2015, 10:20:55 PM »
...So says the guy who posts non-sequitur image macros in lieu of actually making a point. Sorry, Herschel, I'm not buying what you're selling...

Serving warrants, clearing buildings, tactical work and emergency medical procedures are quite different from a game show message board. They require clarity in communications. Here, I like to have fun at times.

beatlefreak84

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2015, 10:38:38 PM »
I will say that this thread has been a fascinating read so far, especially since it gets at the heart of the changing TV landscape.

When I first saw the discussion of why we don't have Pyramid, arguably one of the all-time classic game shows, on TV except in reruns, my gut reaction was to look at the classic game shows that *are* currently on TV.  I started thinking, what do these shows have that Pyramid doesn't?  My personal feeling:  The "big 4" (Wheel, Price, J!, Feud) all have an active home play-along factor.  On all of these shows, you can shout out the next number of the price of the car or what you think is the #1 answer while you are watching at home.  You feel connected to the show:  a good feeling when your answers match what's on the show, even better when you get the answers and the contestants don't, and a ho-hum feeling when your answers don't match.

But, Pyramid doesn't have that connection.  It largely requires you, the viewer, to just sit back and watch other people play.  Sure; you might be thinking of better clues than Nick Turturro or wondering how the contestant in the Winner's Circle got "Things That Wilt" from just hearing "old flowers".  But, unlike the "big 4", you know what the answers are going to be if you are looking at the screen.  This reduces the viewer connection and active playing-along.

Overall, I don't think the current generation is any smarter or dumber than the previous one.  The big difference is the need for constant active stimulation.  As a teacher, I don't see students necessarily getting dumber; I instead see a greater need to get them more actively engaged in the classes.  If I can't get them participating, then it doesn't matter how great of a lecture I give; I will do nothing except reach the A students who would have learned it anyway.  The second I lose their active engagement, out come the phones.  So, that's my feeling on Pyramid:  it just doesn't have that active stimulation for most people.

Sorry for the long post, but, trust me; I'd love to see new episodes of Pyramid.  I mean, Celeb Name Game got a second season, and Hollywood Game Night is still on, so I think there's hope.  But, in the mean time, at least GSN hasn't given up on Pyramid reruns.  :)

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2015, 01:14:34 AM »
But, Pyramid doesn't have that connection.  It largely requires you, the viewer, to just sit back and watch other people play.  Sure; you might be thinking of better clues than Nick Turturro or wondering how the contestant in the Winner's Circle got "Things That Wilt" from just hearing "old flowers".  But, unlike the "big 4", you know what the answers are going to be if you are looking at the screen.  This reduces the viewer connection and active playing-along.
I disagree because you essentially undercut your point: for me "yelling at the TV" is the equivalent of "playing along at home." If I am calling out the three clues that I think will score the box, I am participating, even if it's just me in my condo. (Sometimes I will harangue one of my friends via IM and play it out, especially if the team was one box away from the grand prize.

If we presume that Jon Sea was actually making some sort of point about TPIR being on the air 44 years and not slowing down (which is debatable anyway) and not just annoying his keyboard, let's think about that. Most daytime game shows of the mid 70s and 80s had a five-year shelf life, plus or minus. What is is about the handful of shows that break through and last ten or fifteen years, and what is is about the others where we laud them and enjoy talking about them, but they peter out at the mark I mentioned? Is it as simple as network executives thinking that one show is stale so let's put something else on, and do those long-lasting shows make it just on their own strength or is there a bit of good luck in dodging the ax once or twice?

Lastly, five point penalty to Chris Lemon--Beaker should be saying "Meep," obviously.
Travis L. Eberle

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2015, 11:34:21 AM »
do those long-lasting shows make it just on their own strength or is there a bit of good luck in dodging the ax once or twice?
I definitely know that daytime Wheel of Fortune managed to dodge the ax twice: once in the Spring of 1980 when NBC execs were deciding which three game shows would be axed to make room for The David Letterman Show, the other a few months later (per Randy West's tribute to Charlie O'Donnell):
"Wheel of Fortune" was canceled midway through 1980, and a final farewell episode was taped to air on August 1st. Charlie O'Donnell, always in demand, pledged himself to his former KRLA mic-mate Bob Eubanks to work on Eubanks-Hill's syndicated “The Toni Tennille Show” which began taping at KTLA's studios that summer for a September debut in syndication.

In an unusual turn of events, NBC then reversed itself. Reportedly in reviewing David Letterman's new 90-minute morning show Silverman felt that the final half-hour was weak. The programmer speculated that cutting the program to one hour would strengthen its overall performance, and just days after the staff, cast and crew were notified that NBC had canceled "Wheel of Fortune" the network rescinded the cancellation. Mindful of his KHJ experience and his credo that "a handshake is my word," Charlie honored his commitment to "The Toni Tennille Show." Jack Clark was then hired to lend his smooth, conversational style to Wheel.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

BrandonFG

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2015, 01:49:09 PM »
Years ago, I read on here or ATGS that Merv was shopping Wheel around for syndication as early as 1980. I'm guessing he saw the writing on the wall at NBC, and was preparing himself for a possible cancellation. From what I remember, he'd considered going with Firestone Syndication and 20th Century Fox, the latter being the distributor for his show Dance Fever. With game shows falling off the radar around 1981-82, I wonder if a nighttime Wheel takes off by premiering a few years prior?

Always figured Charlie left Wheel because of his commitment to Barry-Enright and KCOP. Never knew it was for Bob Eubanks.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 02:45:50 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2015, 02:39:05 PM »
Thank you to Brandon for providing a bit of analysis to go with the C&P. Knowing that Merv was looking to go the syndication route that early does help add a little more color to the picture--it's also interesting to note that 1980 would have been the five year mark for Wheel in daytime, and we're now at 33 years in the early evening.
Travis L. Eberle

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2015, 04:11:09 PM »
Years ago, I read on here or ATGS that Merv was shopping Wheel around for syndication as early as 1980. From what I remember, he'd considered going with Firestone Syndication and 20th Century Fox, the latter being the distributor for his show Dance Fever.
Based on what I can find through Variety's archives, Merv had been trying to pitch a syndie Wheel since at least 1977 (2/9/77 Weekly, Page 45). 20th Century Fox bought the syndication rights in 1980, apparently planning Wheel as a five-a-week strip (2/20/80 Weekly, Page 52).

Always figured Charlie left Wheel because of his commitment to Barry-Enright and KCOP. Never knew it was for Bob Eubanks.
I think Charlie started working with Barry-Enright in 1981. I know he was doing at least Bullseye then.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2015, 10:54:55 PM »
Lastly, five point penalty to Chris Lemon--Beaker should be saying "Meep," obviously.

I wanted the "wat" of Lloyd Christmas from the meme with Xzibit, but I couldn't find it quickly.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe