Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hollywood Squares & Gambit staging  (Read 3368 times)

thomas_meighan

Hollywood Squares & Gambit staging
« on: November 14, 2015, 01:55:49 AM »
Based on reading posts at ATGS, I have a fairly good idea of what the in-studio setup was like for the original Hollywood Squares, but for anyone who attended a taping, did the contestants have a clear view of the game board, or was it partly blocked by the platform needed for the cameras that captured shots of the board?

Regarding Gambit, was the full set ever shown on camera? It seems that in the circulating episodes, all we ever see are the host's podium, the Gambit board and the contestant area. Was the contestant area connected with the rest of the set, and at what angle was it placed in relation to the other areas?

byrd62

Re: Hollywood Squares & Gambit staging
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 04:54:47 PM »
I saw a picture of the Gambit set once, either online or on one of those game show books.  As I recall from that picture, Wink's podium was on the left, the "Gambit Board" was in the middle, and the gameplay area (two couples, Elaine and the cards) was on the right.

tvrandywest

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 01:27:34 PM »
I got an e-mail forwarding this question about HS. so...

I watched a few of the Peter Marshall era shows tape at NBC, Studio 3. Yes, the contestants had a clear view of the game board. They and Peter were stage right/camera left viewing at a slight angle. The grid was far upstage and facing directly forward, towards the audience.

And yes, Peter is in great health and as much fun as ever!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

thomas_meighan

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 10:05:50 PM »
Great info, about both HS and Peter -- thanks!