Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Doing an Audience Poll  (Read 6264 times)

jage

Doing an Audience Poll
« on: November 09, 2015, 04:59:01 PM »
Hello. We're trying to set up a way to do an electronic  secret ballot election for up to perhaps 100 people. I was thinking that perhaps someone has figured out how to do a WWTBAM-style audience poll for questions, where a room is poled and the result is displayed somewhere. Basically, each audience member could press A for one choice or B for another choice etc. with the results counted somewhere. We don't need to, or want to know who voted for what. Also, not everyone in the room would have a smartphone, so a software option wouldn't be practical.
Thanks for any ideas.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: Doing an Audience Poll
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 05:18:50 PM »
I would assume that you can search for 'keypad voting system,' and pick who you like/will do it well/for good value.
Travis L. Eberle

pacdude

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 08:27:37 PM »
What's your budget?

jage

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 08:46:58 PM »
I'm seeing systems around for $3,000 or more for 100 units. Perhaps getting down to 2 grand would be helpful.

pacdude

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 11:17:10 PM »
I wonder if you could buy a load of cheap shitty Android phones with Bluetooth or WiFi and set up a local system.

Thunder

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 12:31:35 AM »
I had no idea that cheap crap like that was even made or sold. What in the hell would it be good for?

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 04:33:46 AM »
I don't even know if I would trust that seller...
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

jmangin

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 09:17:19 AM »
Can you setup something using Google Forms and have people cast votes via web through their own smart device?

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 09:29:02 AM »
I had no idea that cheap crap like that was even made or sold. What in the hell would it be good for?

3rd world phones.

If you live in a part of the world that never had copper, you're going straight from zero tech to cell phones.  A single tower can supply a remote village.  Add in things like solar power for recharging the phones during the day, and it's remarkably better than what came before.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

jage

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 01:14:48 PM »
Can you setup something using Google Forms and have people cast votes via web through their own smart device?
That's a definite possibility, as long as we can enforce one vote per person. WWTBAM had the AOL voting which I'm sure was just a simplish script of some kind. Thanks for the ideas.

tomcat

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 05:35:11 PM »
I'm a little late to the thread here, but we use an Android App called "Plickers" (http://www.plickers.com) at our schools to tabulate votes of large groups of students in a classroom.  The students hold up a piece of paper a certain way for answers A, B, C, and D, and then your cell phone's camera grabs the results as you pan around the room.  Depending on the light in the room where you will be taking the vote, it might be usable for you.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 12:54:22 AM »
Well that's going on the list of "Things I Didn't Know I Wanted."
This signature is currently under construction.

BrandonFG

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 01:06:27 AM »
I'm a little late to the thread here, but we use an Android App called "Plickers" (http://www.plickers.com) at our schools to tabulate votes of large groups of students in a classroom.  The students hold up a piece of paper a certain way for answers A, B, C, and D, and then your cell phone's camera grabs the results as you pan around the room.  Depending on the light in the room where you will be taking the vote, it might be usable for you.
That...that's pretty amazing!

And welcome to the Forum! :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tomcat

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 01:51:56 PM »
I've been a long time lurker, but I'll try to contribute whenever I have some knowledge that might be helpful.  I'm sure it'll only be a fraction of the knowledge everyone else on here has!