Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pyramid Feb 2-6  (Read 3149 times)

zachhoran

Pyramid Feb 2-6
« on: January 16, 2004, 09:41:44 PM »
THREE 70s-80s Pyramid celebs will be returning: Jill Whelan(vs. Pyramid rookie Bernie Kopell), and Loretta Swit vs. Jamie Farr.

rugrats1

Pyramid Feb 2-6
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2004, 12:10:47 AM »
Too bad Pyramid won't be around long enough for a rematch of "Kirk vs. Spock" (when William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy, as themselves, played).

Jay Temple

Pyramid Feb 2-6
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2004, 05:08:09 PM »
I believe exactly one person has appeared on Pyramid after becoming a Trek actor, Michael Dorn, a/k/a Worf from TNG and DS9.  His co-star LeVar Burton appeared many times before TNG began, but never since.  It's a shame, because an all-Trek series would be more interesting than some of their other themed weeks.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Jay Temple

Pyramid Feb 2-6
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2004, 12:58:36 AM »
I didn't notice it right away, but Loretta Swit's return means that her appearances span 30 years 2 months.  The previous record holder was Adrienne Barbeau, who reached "only" 28 years 9 months earlier this season.  At the end of last season, Lainie Kazan had the record at 27 years 10 months.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Pyramid Feb 2-6
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2004, 02:32:55 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 16 2004, 09:41 PM\'] THREE 70s-80s Pyramid celebs will be returning: Jill Whelan(vs. Pyramid rookie Bernie Kopell), and Loretta Swit vs. Jamie Farr. [/quote]
 Bernie Koppell?  While I'm unsure of his previous work, isn't he the gentlemen who did the ads for "D-Snore"?  

Classic TV, indeed...
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Robert Hutchinson

Pyramid Feb 2-6
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2004, 02:56:44 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jan 19 2004, 02:32 AM\'][quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 16 2004, 09:41 PM\'] THREE 70s-80s Pyramid celebs will be returning: Jill Whelan(vs. Pyramid rookie Bernie Kopell), and Loretta Swit vs. Jamie Farr. [/quote]
Bernie Koppell?  While I'm unsure of his previous work, isn't he the gentlemen who did the ads for "D-Snore"?  

Classic TV, indeed...[/quote]
Was a regular on some piddly little show about a love boat. Ran a couple of seasons.

(Although I'd certainly prefer to remember him for his work on Get Smart.)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Robair

Pyramid Feb 2-6
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2004, 07:14:03 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 16 2004, 09:41 PM\'] THREE 70s-80s Pyramid celebs will be returning: Jill Whelan(vs. Pyramid rookie Bernie Kopell), and Loretta Swit vs. Jamie Farr. [/quote]
 The Swit-Farr matchup should be especially good. Loretta's been missed by "Pyramid" since she was last on, and Farr was a great game player no matter what the game was. Let's hope he can still make the magic happen.
--Robair

zachhoran

Pyramid Feb 2-6
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2004, 07:50:21 AM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Jan 19 2004, 07:14 AM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 16 2004, 09:41 PM\'] THREE 70s-80s Pyramid celebs will be returning: Jill Whelan(vs. Pyramid rookie Bernie Kopell), and Loretta Swit vs. Jamie Farr. [/quote]
The Swit-Farr matchup should be especially good. Loretta's been missed by "Pyramid" since she was last on, and Farr was a great game player no matter what the game was. Let's hope he can still make the magic happen. [/quote]
Loretta hasn't played since the ABC $20K IIRC. Farr was still a throwback to a bygone era on Squares Game Show Week in November(as were the other celebs). Jo Anne Worley should have been asked to play this version at least once, as well as other 70s/80s Pyramid celebs we've discussed in other posts.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 07:51:43 AM by zachhoran »

Matt Ottinger

Pyramid Feb 2-6
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2004, 11:14:04 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jan 19 2004, 03:32 AM\'] Bernie Koppell?  While I'm unsure of his previous work, isn't he the gentlemen who did the ads for "D-Snore"?  

Classic TV, indeed... [/quote]
 Believe me, if you only know Bernie Kopell from a lame commercial, you're just too young to appreciate a true "classic TV" icon.  Love Boat made him rich, but anybody who owned a television set in the sixties or seventies couldn't help but see him pop up in just about every situation comedy there was.  And more than a few dramas, too.  I was going to make a list, but there would be dozens of shows you've heard of, and dozens more you haven't.

For the record, his more limited game show experience includes Match Game, Family Feud, Tattletales, The Love Experts and Cross-Wits.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Pyramid Feb 2-6
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2004, 03:23:44 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 19 2004, 11:14 AM\'] [quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jan 19 2004, 03:32 AM\'] Bernie Koppell?  While I'm unsure of his previous work, isn't he the gentlemen who did the ads for "D-Snore"? 

Classic TV, indeed... [/quote]
Believe me, if you only know Bernie Kopell from a lame commercial, you're just too young to appreciate a true "classic TV" icon.  Love Boat made him rich, but anybody who owned a television set in the sixties or seventies couldn't help but see him pop up in just about every situation comedy there was.  And more than a few dramas, too.  I was going to make a list, but there would be dozens of shows you've heard of, and dozens more you haven't.

For the record, his more limited game show experience includes Match Game, Family Feud, Tattletales, The Love Experts and Cross-Wits. [/quote]
 Well, I guess that painfully shows my youth.  Perhaps icons such as these should be discussed in school instead of Survivor.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

AH3RD

Pyramid Feb 2-6
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2004, 02:05:23 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Jan 17 2004, 12:10 AM\'] Too bad Pyramid won't be around long enough for a rematch of "Kirk vs. Spock" (when William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy, as themselves, played). [/quote]
 They might even forgive Bill Shatner for that "chair-throwing" incident back in 1977...
Aaron Handy III - ah07_1999@yahoo.com

The ABC Password Page

The Aaron Handy III TV Web Shrine

Don Howard

Pyramid Feb 2-6
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2004, 03:43:18 PM »
[quote name=\'AH3RD\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 02:05 PM\'] [quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Jan 17 2004, 12:10 AM\'] Too bad Pyramid won't be around long enough for a rematch of "Kirk vs. Spock" (when William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy, as themselves, played). [/quote]
They might even forgive Bill Shatner for that "chair-throwing" incident back in 1977... [/quote]
 I doubt anyone on the current Pyramid staff even knows about that incident.

passwordplus

Pyramid Feb 2-6
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2004, 07:04:00 PM »
Too bad they couldn't do another Dick Clark challenge before they axe the show