Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NBC announces "The Wall"  (Read 34290 times)

whewfan

Re: NBC announces "The Wall"
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2016, 06:01:00 AM »
Thank goodness it wasn't a Season 2 of this dreck:

Just because it works in Japan doesn't mean it'll work here. Maybe it's entertaining for the first 2 or 3 walls, but beyond that it's just very repetitive.

Sodboy13

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2016, 04:33:09 PM »
My understanding is that, in Japan, it was a segment on a much larger show. It wasn't the whole show, and it wasn't played for hundreds of thousands of dollars.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Thunder

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2016, 06:43:08 PM »
The first promotional image appears to show a host being restrained.

Intrigued.

It's pretty obvious that Hardwick & Friend have been photoshopped in.

BrandonFG

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2016, 06:59:34 PM »
For some reason, I thought that was one of those obnoxious pop-up ads that appear during most shows. Of course, it wouldn't make much sense, considering the show hasn't aired here yet.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

colonial

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2016, 05:11:49 PM »
Reviving this thread to note that NBC has announced a premiere date for the show ...

Two "preview" episodes will air on December 19 and January 2 at 10pm ET (the former airs after an AGT Christmas special, the latter after the "Celebrity Apprentice" premiere), then the show settles for its "premiere" on January 3 at 8pm ET.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/programming/nbc-slots-lebron-s-wall-jan-3/161153

JD

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2016, 05:26:14 PM »
It's Show Me the Plinko, but with a host I enjoy, so that's nice.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2016, 06:23:11 PM »
It's Show Me the Plinko, but with a host I enjoy, so that's nice.

I have concerns about the part that sounds an awful lot like the "I had no confidence in you, so you're farked" part of Set For Life.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2016, 07:06:41 PM »
I'm willing to bet that, given the network, they'll cut to commercial mid-drop. At least there's some trivia thrown in.

/Really can't believe game shows are still doing dark sets in 2016
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2016, 07:27:44 PM »
I have concerns about the part that sounds an awful lot like the "I had no confidence in you, so you're farked" part of Set For Life.
I missed that--what did you see that I didn't? I saw that it's a team that plays the game but that's all, and for twelve million bucks that's OK by me.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2016, 07:29:23 PM »
I saw a blurb on Randy West's Facebook:

Teammates have to work together to build a cash bank, until one player is sent into an isolation room behind the wall. From there, the pair’s faith in each other will be tested as the teammates play the remainder of the game without any communication.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2016, 07:54:43 PM »
I saw a blurb on Randy West's Facebook:

Teammates have to work together to build a cash bank, until one player is sent into an isolation room behind the wall. From there, the pair’s faith in each other will be tested as the teammates play the remainder of the game without any communication.
I was only reading from the link, I didn't go to Randy's page, and you're right, that doesn't go to my happy place.
Travis L. Eberle

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2016, 12:41:07 AM »
Always good to see Chris Hardwick. :)

Quote from: Broadcasting & Cable
NBC says The Wall is set up “to change everyday people’s lives in an instant,"
Everyday people? So there's gonna be players who aren't walking stereotypes/caricatures or have a sob story or are out-of-work actors?

...Ah, who am I kidding, it's an NBC game show.

with more than $12 million on the line every night.
But how much is realistically gonna get won on this thing? A couple hundred thousand at most?

I'm willing to bet that, given the network, they'll cut to commercial mid-drop.
It'll probably be for red ones, right as it hits a peg just above two spaces (one low-value, one high-value).

you're right, that doesn't go to my happy place.
Nor mine. (For those interested, here's Randy's Facebook post on the show.)
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

BrandonFG

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2016, 12:55:23 AM »
with more than $12 million on the line every night.
But how much is realistically gonna get won on this thing? A couple hundred thousand at most?
I mean...still a life-changing sum of money. No worse than Wheel or Millionaire touting its million dollar payday and giving away <$50,000 an episode...

My brain is fried...unless I'm forgetting something, I think Chris is the first host(ess) in quite a few years to host two game shows simultaneously*. Off the top of my head, I believe the last one was Drew on TPiR and Power of 10 for all of about three months?

*Not counting a daytime and primetime run, like Howie Mandel on D/ND.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 01:07:29 AM by BrandonFG »

clemon79

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2016, 01:20:00 AM »
My brain is fried...unless I'm forgetting something, I think Chris is the first host(ess) in quite a few years to host two game shows simultaneously*.

One of them is very, very scripted, making him not appreciably different than Steve Harvey.

BrandonFG

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2016, 01:44:04 AM »
I learned something tonight. Not that it hinders my ability to enjoy the show, but in doing a little Googling, I didn't realize how scripted it was.